Air Conditioner - A/C Issues Again

denniswilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
I own a 2018 Civic Sedan. 34k miles on it. Had the condenser replaced in 2020 free under Service Bulletin. In August 2023 had compressor shaft seal leak replaced under Service Bulletin. The compressor was splattering refrigerant all over my radiator. A/C was frigid ice cold until now. The A/C now is medium cold, and the driver's side vent is less then medium cold again.

So....I'm guessing its now the evaporator. It seems the R1234 refrigerant does not work properly with A/C system and causing continuous issues. Anyone hear about a Service Bulletin on the evaporator yet? I heard it's an arduous 2-day repair dismantling most of the cockpit. And....are these new replacement parts redesigned or are they the same defective parts? Hoping an expert or a Honda Tech can chime in. Very frustrated.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
In other threads... DRUSA (a Honda tech) said that it's just a matter of time for the evaporators since they are the same (incorrect) specification.

I'm not looking forward to it either. And so far as I'm aware; that part hasn't been recalled.

OP
OP
denniswilson

denniswilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
In other threads... DRUSA (a Honda tech) said that it's just a matter of time for the evaporators since they are the same (incorrect) specification.

I'm not looking forward to it either. And so far as I'm aware; that part hasn't been recalled.
Thanks for the information @shoegazer . I hope American Honda will do something for the evaporator like they did with the condenser.

IPx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Accord Touring Coupe, 19 Civic Hatchback Tourin
Country flag
Thanks for the information @shoegazer . I hope American Honda will do something for the evaporator like they did with the condenser.
I'm still waiting for that as well. Fingers crossed so I can get my reimbursement. It almost been a year since I had to pay out of pocket to replace the evaporator core on my wife 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Touring

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, all three of mine went out late last year. I’m waiting until it starts to warm up to get it fixed at Honda. I’m out of warranty, and only the compressor and condenser are covered (IIRC), so, I have to pay a small fee to get the evap fixed.

OP
OP
denniswilson

denniswilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
I'm still waiting for that as well. Fingers crossed so I can get my reimbursement. It almost been a year since I had to pay out of pocket to replace the evaporator core on my wife 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Touring
I hope you get reimbursed. I'm thinking it's going to be a very expensive repair.

OP
OP
denniswilson

denniswilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
Yeah, all three of mine went out late last year. I’m waiting until it starts to warm up to get it fixed at Honda. I’m out of warranty, and only the compressor and condenser are covered (IIRC), so, I have to pay a small fee to get the evap fixed.
I'm out of warranty too....but I only have 34k miles on my Civic. I have owned at least 10 Hondas since 1984. Never ever had a/c problems. Most of my Hondas went 200k miles. I am always loyal to servicing / purchasing my Hondas at the Honda dealer. I hope American Honda has my 40 years of dealer loyalty on record. That way I'm hoping for a Good Will discount on the evaporator job if they don't escalate it into a Service Bulletin. Good luck to us all.

OP
OP
denniswilson

denniswilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
I called American Honda today to inquire about the 2018-2020 fuel pump recall.....while I had her on the phone I also inquired about the A/C evaporator and explained that my condenser and compressor seal have already been replaced and now I'm starting to get warm air again. She said they are aware of the many defective parts on the A/C system, but no campaigns on the evaporator.

hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7 Honda Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Country flag
I think I'm having a similar problem. I got my AC fixed the week before christmas last year, and the local shop I took it to said it was a leak coming from the expansion valves. They replaced them and I was getting ice cold air again. Then a couple weeks ago, it just stopped cooling entirely. I thought it might've been the AC compressor clutch relay fuse, so I replaced that, and it stayed the same. The only way to cool is with the outside air (turning off AC circulation) I'm thinking it is the condenser. I haven't had the time to look at it myself, but I know I'm way over warranty so, if need be, I might do the replacement myself with the texas heat starting early this year.

RR Hale

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 1994 Acura NSX
Country flag
FWIW, these Civic systems have very small refrigerant capacity. (Less than one pound.)
Consequently, even very small refrigerant leaks lead to problems with inadequate system thermodynamic performance.
Besides this, there are also both materials compatibility and manufacturing problems, apparently. Quite a fiasco, truly! 🤔 Good luck to all of us! Best, Bob.

OP
OP
denniswilson

denniswilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
Update.......So I went to my Honda dealer to fix my A/C.
They did a diagnostic and leak test. They found leaks in the condenser, evaporator, and expansion valve. This would be the third condenser including the factory original. My service advisor told me that the tech said refrigerant was coming out the vents too (?). I was not able to talk to the Tech. One of the Porters told me the condensers aren't welded anymore, but pressure glued instead.... That's why they don't last...... Who knows if the Porter knows anything.......

Anyways, they wanted $3600 for the repair including the free condenser. Turns out the American Honda Regional Rep happened to be there. The Service Manager was able to get American Honda to help with the cost because of my loyalty. So it ended up being $840.

They knocked out the job in about 6 hours. The Tech and Shop Foreman both worked on it together. By the time I got back to pick it up around 6p, all the Techs went home already..... So, I couldn't speak with him.

Wondering how long this A/C system will last 🤔. My 2018 Civic Sedan only has 34k on it.

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
What should it cost simply for refrigerant? I took out my condenser and radiator on a friggin rock on the road. Replaced both with aftermarket but dealer wants $300 just for the refrigerant.

RR Hale

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The refrigerant cost is probably still less than $50 US. However, a vacuum pump, as well as a refrigerant recovery system and process, are nominally “required“ also. Naturally there are substantial overhead costs for companies to do this work.

RR Hale

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They did a diagnostic and leak test. They found leaks in the condenser, evaporator, and expansion valve. This would be the third condenser including the factory original. My service advisor told me that the tech said refrigerant was coming out the vents too (?). I was not able to talk to the Tech. One of the Porters told me the condensers aren't welded anymore, but pressure glued instead.... That's why they don't last...... Who knows if the Porter knows anything.......

Anyways, they wanted $3600 for the repair including the free condenser. Turns out the American Honda Regional Rep happened to be there. The Service Manager was able to get American Honda to help with the cost because of my loyalty. So it ended up being $840.

They knocked out the job in about 6 hours. The Tech and Shop Foreman both worked on it together. By the time I got back to pick it up around 6p, all the Techs went home already..... So, I couldn't speak with him.

Wondering how long this A/C system will last 🤔. My 2018 Civic Sedan only has 34k on it.
Many of us know that glue (if it is actually used?) is permeable to (it LEAKS!) water vapor and many other gases. Metals typically are not.
Porters may actually know more than what Honda is officially saying. The term “common knowledge“ can sometimes be rather persuasive in certain legal procedures, FWIW.
Best, Bob.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
They did a diagnostic and leak test. They found leaks in the condenser, evaporator, and expansion valve.

Sheesh. I'm sorry for your bad luck with this. Mine has about 16K miles. The AC hasn't failed yet. But this is really disappointing for Honda. I understand how it happened. But Honda's response hasn't impressed me. Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed for ya'.
Sponsored