slow.gal

First Name
Michil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys and gals! Noob question here. So Im looking to upgrade my intercooler. Im eyeing on PRL or Mishimoto IC. My question is... is it important to upgrade my intercooler piping as well or its ok to stay on OEM IC pipes. I daily my 2018 si and slightly moded with

-Hondata 91oct tune
-Injen ram intake
-Invidia r400 gemini catback (DP/FP are stock) its nice to save some money and finally get a cat DP.
-Eibach prokit lowering springs

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

?
Sponsored

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ended up doing Mishimoto and keeping stock piping. I think that is an acceptable option if you are on stock turbo. This video helped me decide. It shows that the difference between stock and upgraded piping is minimal on stock turbo. It is also a wonderful install tutorial. The other thing I worried about was introducing increased turbo lag with larger diameter piping.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I ended up doing Mishimoto and keeping stock piping. I think that is an acceptable option if you are on stock turbo. This video helped me decide. It shows that the difference between stock and upgraded piping is minimal on stock turbo. It is also a wonderful install tutorial. The other thing I worried about was introducing increased turbo lag with larger diameter piping.
yep.. stock piping ok in my book.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Why Mishimoto and not a PRL?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
A question I'd like the answer to. The Mishimoto is slightly cheaper but not by much. I'm considering upgrading mine but I don't know which to go with. 27Won is also a contender although getting one of those involves waiting.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I bought a mishi because it was the only intercooler without a tacky logo slapped on it. Black mishi.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PRL has a stencil included to add logo if you please

I considered Wagner but ended up with a v1 PRL at a great price instead

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It was half price on last Cyber Monday. That was for the full kit. Sold the piping and the IC ended up being ~$270. Most other parts I have are PRL. Obviously they make good stuff. The Mishimoto is nice too. Flip a coin. I don’t think you’d be disappointed be either (or by some of the other good options). I wasn’t saying Mishi over PRL, just that I went Mishi (on price). More the point was explaining why I decided to keep stock piping.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
PRL has a stencil included to add logo if you please
They didnt advertised it like that, i assumed they were all painted from them.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
slow.gal

slow.gal

First Name
Michil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for all the infos. Still learning here. My mechanic/tuner will have a sit down with me to explain intercooler vs water/methanol injection. Cuz this meth injection is pretty interesting but scary. Lol

Again thanks!

OP
OP
slow.gal

slow.gal

First Name
Michil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Good to know! Thanks

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The OEM rubber hoses expand under high boost pressure. Considering this tiny turbo runs quite a bit of a boost, I would say it is not a bad idea to replace them. This won't net you much horsepower gains, it is more for reliability and so that you have consistent boost pressure. You will find that the aftermarket intercooler pipes aren't that much bigger than OEM but they replace most of the rubber hoses with stronger pipes.

OP
OP
slow.gal

slow.gal

First Name
Michil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The OEM rubber hoses expand under high boost pressure. Considering this tiny turbo runs quite a bit of a boost, I would say it is not a bad idea to replace them. This won't net you much horsepower gains, it is more for reliability and so that you have consistent boost pressure. You will find that the aftermarket intercooler pipes aren't that much bigger than OEM but they replace most of the rubber hoses with stronger pipes.
You had me at reliability. That is a good point. Thanks.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You had me at reliability. That is a good point. Thanks.
No problem, on my Si I did the Mishimoto without the piping and then later did the piping. I did the same with my Type R but went with a Perrin Intercooler and HKS pipes. What I found was that the temps came down a little faster with the aftermarket piping. I had a catless downpipe on both cars so I was worried the heat would make the rubber hoses brittle over time.
Sponsored