First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
Hy!
I will get my first Type R in about 5 weeks and by that time we will have temperatures below 0 degrees celsius. So i need winter wheels.

I find Radi8 R8-B12 irresistible.
They are 8.5×19 ET35. For the tyres i'm looking at Pirelli Sottozero 245/35-19.
As you can see the diameter and the width will remain unchanged. It is just the ET that will push out the wheels 25mm. I see that some guys here drive with wider rims (9.5) and low ETs, pushing out the wheels some 30-32mm without problems.

Now to the problem: I see that some of you wonder if some 19 inch rims will clear the brake calipers (especially att the spokes)
I think that with 19 inch rims and ET35 I should be ok...

Do you guys see any problems with this combo?
Thank you!
Sponsored

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Potential problems:
1. In winter driving around here, if you don't put on mudguards, then you will blast the paint from the sides of your car with salt/sand/gravel with the wheels stuck out that much.
2. The clearance issue is usually at the face of the wheel, i.e., a wheel design issue, not a rim radius issue. You will have to check the wheels that you are interested in.
3. You will suffer from increased torque steer and greater wheel fight going from ET60 to ET35 - that has been my experience going to ET45, so ET35 can only be worse. Whether this will be a problem for you or not I cannot say.

Last edited:

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
I run a 18x8.5 et35 with 245/40s which sits almost flush to the fenders so a 19x8.5 et35 wouldn’t be too much different being an inch bigger. You will feel a slight heaviness with steering but it isn’t too bad going from a oem ET60 to a et35 offset. In theory they should clear. Have fun cleaning them tho. Those mesh wheels are always fun to deal with.

OP
OP
TheBigG

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
Thank you for your answers!
So it is a bit on the extreme side with ET 35....

Initially I was planing for 18 inch rims but I was a bit concerned about the brake calipers.
18 inch would be a much better size for winter, not to mention the price difference.
What would be the best ET for 18 inch wheels, stock width (8.5) ?
45-50?

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
Thank you for your answers!
So it is a bit on the extreme side with ET 35....

Initially I was planing for 18 inch rims but I was a bit concerned about the brake calipers.
18 inch would be a much better size for winter, not to mention the price difference.
What would be the best ET for 18 inch wheels, stock width (8.5) ?
45-50?
I wouldn’t call it extreme since you’re not going wider width but more outwards flush with the fenders if anything. If you were to go with a 9.5 at et35 that would be a different story. For offset with a 18x8.5 if you want to keep close to oem steering geometry I’d look for something et40-45ish or even go with a 18x9 et50 and run a wider tire up to 265. For safe fitments on wheels id start at like tire rack or a place that will let you test fit before you buy. Depending on your wheels barrel design some barrels will come pretty close to your calipers. Here’s what my clearance looks like with my 18s.
Honda Civic 10th gen A bit confused about ET on the wheels I wish EEF23BB9-956E-4E83-8B5F-561B960386FB
Sponsored