Why all the complaining about 20 inch wheels?

run42K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WRX, 2000 ZRX
Country flag
Seems like everyone is changing to 19 or 18s and saying that honda blew it by putting 20s on the CTR. I don't get it. I've driven on the stock wheels for 5000 miles now; the car's handling is fantastic with them, and they look great. Honda's engineers likely put them on for good reason and I have to wonder if different wheels don't somehow compromise the car's performance.
So my inclination is to put AS 245/35's on the stock 20s in the fall. Has that worked well for others?
Sponsored

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm running PS4S 245/35-20s and am very happy with them. My aftermarket wheels are a good bit lighter than stock so that helps as well. I think the combination of thin OEM tires and overly expensive OEM rims is what upsets most people, or at least creates some anxiety for them - just not a lot of margin for error with the stock setup.

If I could lose another 5-6 lbs per wheel on a set of 18's I liked to look at, I'd consider putting them on with a 255/40 tire or so, but for now, my aftermarket 20/235 setup is working great and I've got quite a lot of tire left. I will say that on a damp road, 1st and a lot of 2nd are basically useless even on PS4S tires after KTuner.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
People do bend them. I'm paranoid about bends, I'm paranoid about rashing them, and I'm paranoid about some jackhole stealing them. The tires are expensive as shit for this size. The wheels themselves weigh 30 lbs each.

That's why I'm looking at switching to 19's or 18's. Otherwise, I think they look great and I don't think they ride harsh at all.

tdsounds

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Civic Type R
Country flag
I love the 20 inch wheels also, but you hit a light curb, and the tire and wheels will get some damage. I had only 360 miles on the car and I had to use the tire/wheel insurance. I'd probably get a 255/35/20 tire setup the next time I get tires.

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Less tire choices and they’re really really heavy.

I like the way they look too but you can’t say they’re a performance wheel.

atc5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 CW ITR, 18 CW CTR
stock wheel + tire combo is 53lbs each.

IMHO Honda screwed up fitting this car with these wheels. Could have at least provided an 18 or 19 inch option.

OP
OP

run42K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WRX, 2000 ZRX
Country flag
stock wheel + tire combo is 53lbs each.

IMHO Honda screwed up fitting this car with these wheels. Could have at least provided an 18 or 19 inch option.
If the wheels are so heavy why is everyone worried about bending them? Aren't they as strong as any replacement would be?

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
It's the small sidewall on a 30 tire . Most are going with 35 or 40 tires. I have no damage myself on the oems but I may be lucky. I use comfort a lot on rough roads so maybe that helps.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
If you drive in a major metropolitan area with bad roads, the stock rims are an accident waiting to happen. I couldn't get them off my car fast enough. Now my summer setup is 255/35/19, winters are 245/40/18, and I'm much happier. The CTR still handles great on either setup.

This just goes to show how bad the CTR needs a refresh or MMC mainly to fix design flaws
I guarantee you Honda engineers don't look at the stock wheels and tires as a design flaw. If I lived somewhere with better roads, I'd have kept them, but I don't, so I didn't.

OP
OP

run42K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WRX, 2000 ZRX
Country flag
If you drive in a major metropolitan area with bad roads, the stock rims are an accident waiting to happen. I couldn't get them off my car fast enough. Now my summer setup is 255/35/19, winters are 245/40/18, and I'm much happier. The CTR still handles great on either setup.

I guarantee you Honda engineers don't look at the stock wheels and tires as a design flaw. If I lived somewhere with better roads, I'd have kept them, but I don't, so I didn't.
I live in Cleveland and haven't worried for the last 5000 miles. I guess your metro is worse?

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I live in Cleveland and haven't worried for the last 5000 miles. I guess your metro is worse?
I guess so. I drive on the George Washington Parkway every day. The scenery is gorgeous but the road sucks. The combination of 20" wheels and extremely low sidewalls doesn't work for me. I feel much more comfortable with my current setup. And I will also note that when I decided to sell my stock rims, I sold the first three locally within a couple of weeks to CTR owners that had already curbed or bent a rim. So it's not just me.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
The dealer I bought from said two CTR owners have replaced more than one wheel so far, and living on the west side of lower Michigan, you have some absolute brick shitting moments during construction season on the highways and on side neighborhood roads you might as well just flip a coin at night.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...-to-potholes-and-why-repairs-seem-ineffective

Watch that video.

I bought the wheel package because I know it is going to happen. I drilled one a few weeks ago and I am absolutely shocked it didn't destroy my front right wheel. I was butthole puckering the rest of the way home just expecting gouges and cracks but somehow it lived.

OP
OP

run42K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WRX, 2000 ZRX
Country flag
I love in Cleveland and haven't worried for the last 5000 miles. I guess your metro is worse?
Love that is.
unsprung weight and rotational mass.

you can cut down the weight that it takes to rotate the wheel, your car will essentially accelerate much faster.

also the fact that the these wheels bend very easily and tires arent that great with a rating of 10k miles before they are trashed... get rid of them while they are worth something and step down to something more comfortable and safe..

note that we dont have a spare.. so if you bend or pop a tire (which many people have already) you are shit out of luck. these 30 series tires are hard to patch as there is little to no sidewall.. so damage goes through pretty easily.
Do the stock wheels bend more easily than aftermarket replacements?

If not it seems like a 35 series tire ought to address the concerns other than performance.

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
I do share some of you skepticism as I have taken some pretty big hits and not had any damage, but there are at least three posts here with pictures of bent rims.

I feel these are very strong wheels but physics is physics. There are potholes and road issues that will bend higher ratio wheels on normal cars, let alone ours. I am leaning to keeping them and springing for the spare myself but having more protection sure is attractive.

I also may be a weird case, but my tires are wearing beautifully...at this rate they will be fine for 20k miles. So maybe I just baby the wheels/tires or am very lucky.
Sponsored