2021 Civic Type R Results @ Car and Driver Lightning Lap 2022 Competition

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I'd also like to see a 2021 (regular) run this with just lighter wheels. I think just the wheel change is the biggest alteration between the LE and a standard 2021. But overall I suspect you're right on the money with above.
I strongly suspect it is the tire compound and not the wheel weight generating the majority of the time difference. I bet if you put a stock 2021 with RE-71 or A052‘s it would be closer to the LE with the same driver. The weight difference is pretty slight.
Sponsored

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
The marketing guy in me is also betting that the LE and 20/21 standard Type R are very similar in times, and I’ll also bet that this means that the 2023 Type R is only very slightly faster than an LE.
Look no further than the lap record attempt by Honda Australia a few weeks ago at an FIA grade 2 circuit here in Australia with a professional race driver (currently driving a Honda in the Australian TCR series).

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2021-honda-civic-type-r-sets-new-lap-record-at-the-bend

The base Type R was less than a second behind the LE over 4.95km which is nothing. Perhaps most telling was the regular Type R was a full second quicker than the previous FWD record held by the Megane RS Trophy (a seriously fast vehicle).

I've always said that the best thing about the LE is the base it is coming from but that is also the worst thing. You're getting a faster car with the LE but so much of what make the FK8 special comes down to the inherent balance of the chassis. Stickier tyres will improve lap times but the gains are not as much as many other cars.

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
Look no further than the lap record attempt by Honda Australia a few weeks ago at an FIA grade 2 circuit here in Australia with a professional race driver (currently driving a Honda in the Australian TCR series).

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2021-honda-civic-type-r-sets-new-lap-record-at-the-bend

The base Type R was less than a second behind the LE over 4.95km which is nothing. Perhaps most telling was the regular Type R was a full second quicker than the previous FWD record held by the Megane RS Trophy (a seriously fast vehicle).

I've always said that the best thing about the LE is the base it is coming from but that is also the worst thing. You're getting a faster car with the LE but so much of what make the FK8 special comes down to the inherent balance of the chassis. Stickier tyres will improve lap times but the gains are not as much as many other cars.
The timeline for the US LE also interests me - they wanted a mid cycle refresh, and did a significant overhaul to the suspension, but with production closing and the pandemic shutting plants, how much time did they have to dial in the LE or to design the 2023 Type R? I think the 2023 and 20/21 will be nearly identical running gear with a bump in the US to 320hp to match the rest of the world. Cost cutting, but in a smart way. Also smart - those forged wheels and Cup2 tires plus fewer materials and OG paint on the LE is the way Porsche and Lambo do special editions. Very good work by Honda on doing that.
Sponsored