gatorcivic

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I like the idea of shorter gears, it could make the car more fun. But why not have a much longer 6th gear to bring down the rpm's when crusing on the highway at 80mph? Gears 1-5 could still be short and fun, but have 6th be 50% than 5th instead of the 15% that it currently is.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe the ratio was shortened so at any given speed, the rpms will be higher in the 2020 as compared to ours in each gear. So, less mpg and probably more aggravating at highway speed. Cause you to reach for the the shift to 7th.
There's a 7th gear on my SI? How did I miss that? Like on a 911? Clearly I need to replace my stock shift lever with an Acuity 7 speed shift knob and gate.

Seriously, if you are reaching for an imaginary 7th gear, even with the 2020 SI, then the final drive ratio should be the least of your concerns as the road blurs by you at triple digit speeds.

As is I rarely get the car into 6th, even on the highway. Not for lack of wanting to, but 5th is pretty flexible.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
I never really found engine braking all that effective on this car compared to my previous manual transmission cars. Maybe it's due to the small displacement? Definitely wouldn't mind a taller 6th gear. Sure, 55mph at 2k RPM is nice, but who the heck stays at 55mph? :)

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The less mpg hypothesis comes from the new Millage rating from EPA that recently comes out. Maybe it’a because of the new gearing (which makes sense) or of a new way to calculate the mpg since the other trim of civic also show less mpg this year from what I heard
Lower MPG comes from the fact that the engine will be turning faster at any given speed.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's a 7th gear on my SI? How did I miss that? Like on a 911? Clearly I need to replace my stock shift lever with an Acuity 7 speed shift knob and gate.

Seriously, if you are reaching for an imaginary 7th gear, even with the 2020 SI, then the final drive ratio should be the least of your concerns as the road blurs by you at triple digit speeds.

As is I rarely get the car into 6th, even on the highway. Not for lack of wanting to, but 5th is pretty flexible.
When you're cruising along at 70-80+, it would be nice to not be at 3k.

View attachment 174248

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Gear Ratio Question 20190821_051839

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Once I’m up to my cruising speed, I always go to 6th whether in the city or on the highway. That’s how you get the best gas mileage. Unless you need the power, holding a lower gear is only wasting gas.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Tranmissions, transfer cases, and ratios arent really my expertise, so this might be a dumb question. Sorry.

With the gear ratio change for the 2020 Si, is it really that much of a change to the drive train in a manual transmission setup? I hear "quicker acceleration" and "less MPG" across the board but isnt this ultimately dependent on the driver and when they choose to switch gears? That's the point of a manual, right? Could i possibly negate the changes with my driving style? Sorry once again for possibly missing the point on this hahaha

Thanks!
Here is how the maximum speed in each gear will change:

1st- 31 mph
2nd- 53mph
3rd- 82mph
4th- 109mph
5th- 134 mph
6th- 163 mph (mechanical gear limit)

In 2017-2019 model, 2nd gear goes to 57mph, 3rd goes to 87 and 4th to 115. I guess the point is you are forced to shift to next gear earlier as each gear tops out at a lower mph.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is how the maximum speed in each gear will change:

1st- 31 mph
2nd- 53mph
3rd- 82mph
4th- 109mph
5th- 134 mph
6th- 163 mph (mechanical gear limit)

In 2017-2019 model, 2nd gear goes to 57mph, 3rd goes to 87 and 4th to 115. I guess the point is you are forced to shift to next gear earlier as each gear tops out at a lower mph.
I think every car should be slightly, though probably in an instrumented test, negligibly quicker stock across the board. Main downside performance-wise I see is if you're in a pretty modded car and needed that extra 6 MPH of room in 4th for a 1/4 mile run. As it is... the MAP car that's recently ran a 10.80 would probably be forced to shift to 6th or be right at their rev-limit w/the new transmission... assuming it let the car gain a few MPH.

I don't think it's enough of a difference to matter much so far as instrumented tests… but the bump in torque at the wheel might be welcome when felt from drivers perspective.

I bet 0-60s are about the same due to the FWD platform and keeping with the 2 shifts needed to 60.

In my perfect world... they'd of done something similar to the eco-optioned transmission for a Cruze… had 5th and 6th still reasonably tall (taller is even better) and just tightened up the 1st 4 or 5 gears. The Eco's... w/a little aero and low rolling resistance tires and transmission gearing gained 6 MPGs to 42 from a tall 6th gear (I think 5th was also incrementally taller... whereas 1st-4th was the same). I've never gotten why manufacturers keep their overdriven (anything under 1.00... usually anything past 4th gear) so tight and incremental when compared to the lower gears. I'm sure there's a few MPGs left on the table with a taller 6th for us.

I run my car 6th at 40 MPH at 1500 RPMs regularly if I'm just maintaining speed on level ground. I'd of rather stayed in 5th longer and had a taller 6th to turn 500 RPMs less at interstate speeds... as many would but... we got what we got. It was a simple change to make an platform that's aging, albeit gracefully, as competitive as it can be against some upcoming stiff competition. We're never going to win much at power numbers... and every little bit counts. I do think it's kind of a big deal an automaker willingly gave up a model's economy rating which will hurt their fleet average in pursuit of performance. I guess it's easier to do final drive than a different individual transmission gearing so far as the parts-bin is concerned.

cwcaesar

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The car almost sounds like nothing stock, it is way too quiet. I did a muffler delete and it made it sound 100x better.
I did the same thing. I LOVE the sound now!!

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Once I’m up to my cruising speed, I always go to 6th whether in the city or on the highway. That’s how you get the best gas mileage. Unless you need the power, holding a lower gear is only wasting gas.
Agreed. I shift at 2k rpms unless I have a reason for speed in which case I typically shift close to redline. I miss my old Subaru where there were ample choices available both OEM and aftermarket for the drivetrain. Ideally, I'd like to hit 65mph at the top of 2nd gear just before fuel cut, and cruise at 65mph at 2000rpms in 6th gear. But for the 1.5t, the feel to the average driver would not go over well.

Engine braking in this car definitely is among the lightest drag I have ever felt, but the impact on fuel economy is very noticeable. My drive from home to work is about 5 miles of local stop and go, and roughly 40 miles of NJ parkway (which is highway stop and go, yay NJ). The drive home pretty much the same, assuming I'm not asked to pick something up on the way home. I typically see 45-47 range mpg average for the trip even in summer with the A/C, radio, and heated seats helping reduce efficiency for some much appreciated comfort. The 10th gen SI is a solid DD in many ways. Sometimes I wish it had more trunk space, sometimes I wish it had a wider back seat. I've considered the accord both when purchasing the car, and often since as a potential trade. But I would miss the fuel economy and handling of the SI.

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
I run my car 6th at 40 MPH at 1500 RPMs regularly if I'm just maintaining speed on level ground. I'd of rather stayed in 5th longer and had a taller 6th to turn 500 RPMs less at interstate speeds... as many would but... we got what we got. It was a simple change to make an platform that's aging, albeit gracefully, as competitive as it can be against some upcoming stiff competition. We're never going to win much at power numbers... and every little bit counts. I do think it's kind of a big deal an automaker willingly gave up a model's economy rating which will hurt their fleet average in pursuit of performance. I guess it's easier to do final drive than a different individual transmission gearing so far as the parts-bin is concerned.
I will be very curious to see what reviewers (professional and amateur) say about the acceleration of the 2020. I'm also surprised that they made an adjustment that lowers MPG without any increase in HP/Torque. It strikes me that the change would be pretty subtle to the layman, but I hope to be proven wrong.

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
Granted there are the haves and have nots. I am not interested in the 2020 change and glad I got in before the changes. That aside I am assuming that EVERYONE engine breaks? Is that not true? As I go up I go down ... 6 to 5 5 to 4 4 to 3 and lastly 3 to 2. Do folks drive the Si into random neutral gear and approach a red light? Five to neural? Four to neutral?
In all seriousness, I do this all the time. Fourth to neutral if I am approaching a red light. Excuse my ignorance, but in all seriousness am I doing something wrong? I know engine breaking is probably the right way, but until I learn, its what I do..

This is my first manual btw,

Gino27

Red Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si coupe
Country flag
In all seriousness, I do this all the time. Fourth to neutral if I am approaching a red light. Excuse my ignorance, but in all seriousness am I doing something wrong? I know engine breaking is probably the right way, but until I learn, its what I do..

That's how I did it when I learned too. There's really two camps with it though. I see people who swear by engine breaking and those who are quite against it.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

You should learn to properly engine brake. The less time you're rolling in neutral, the better.