2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I traded for a 2019 Acura RDX (that has turned out to be the most problematic Honda I've owned).
Please explain the issues you've been having, Ive been trying to convince my sister to get the 2019 RDX but might reconsider based on your experience..if you dont mind sharing?

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I traded a 2017 Civic Si sedan for a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T (nice, but not as fun to drive) that I traded for a 2019 Acura RDX (that has turned out to be the most problematic Honda I've owned). I wish I still had the Civic Si (pre-vandalism).

https://www.civicx.com/threads/cons...cord-sport-2-0t-10at.23113/page-4#post-409903
Please explain the issues you've been having, Ive been trying to convince my sister to get the 2019 RDX but might reconsider based on your experience..if you dont mind sharing?
I'm interested too, since my neighbor just picked one up earlier this year and hasn't had any issues. One sharp looking SUV.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
I've driven the new Si and I'm intrigued by the Accord Sport 2.0T/6MT, but like most of you I'm just not interested in something so huge! My 2010 TSX is more than big enough, and I'd like my next car to be smaller with even better handling. I love the Si, but I'd prefer something a little more luxurious, and no I don't want a GTI. (I have PVWSD (post-VW stress disorder) that produces a sickening feeling at the mere thought of VW ownership. I'm working on it, but it's a slow process.)

I doubt I'm alone in this, and it's why I think Acura could find buyers with a great ILX on the 10th gen Civic platform. Give us the Accord's 2.0T in a smaller, slightly luxurious package with multiple suspension modes and preferably SHAWD, and we'll be happy campers. I might even be willing to tolerate some kind of automatic transmission for this.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Honda should bring back the crosstour accord and put a 2.0T in it.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I liked the size and the interior of the Sport. I was very close to buying a 2.0T 6MT but I decided it didn't feel special enough to upgrade from my last gen Accord.

Too much body roll, too hard to get power down. Shifter and clutch action sucked hard compared to the Type R.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm interested too, since my neighbor just picked one up earlier this year and hasn't had any issues. One sharp looking SUV.
The most common issues that seem to be affecting the greatest number of owners are the harsh 2-3 shift and the infotainment system bugs. Here's a list of issues with my RDX so far. It's one vehicle I wish I'd never purchased.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/read-before-you-buy-974877/#post16334035

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Damn that's sad to see!
It really is. Adding insult to injury, I inherited a 2016 Ford Fiesta last month and have been so impressed with it that I've been driving it every day instead of the Acura. As soon as the paperwork is complete, I'm going to put the Fiesta up for sale, but it showed me how far Ford has come in the 20+ years since I've owned one. I've been drinking the Honda Kool-Aid so long that it's hard to remember there are other choices out there.

Now, I have very little interest in buying any Ford and even less interest in buying a bargain-basement, subcompact economy car that is narrow enough to fit inside my RDX, but it's impressive for what it is. For a car that can bought brand new for less than $13K today, the Fiesta is powerful, smooth, quiet, and well-equipped (relatively speaking, of course).

Still, I prefer Honda/Acura's resale value, but many more experiences like the one with my RDX and I might have to reconsider.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It really is. Adding insult to injury, I inherited a 2016 Ford Fiesta last month and have been so impressed with it that I've been driving it every day instead of the Acura. As soon as the paperwork is complete, I'm going to put the Fiesta up for sale, but it showed me how far Ford has come in the 20+ years since I've owned one. I've been drinking the Honda Kool-Aid so long that it's hard to remember there are other choices out there.

Now, I have very little interest in buying any Ford and even less interest in buying a bargain-basement, subcompact economy car that is narrow enough to fit inside my RDX, but it's impressive for what it is. For a car that can bought brand new for less than $13K today, the Fiesta is powerful, smooth, quiet, and well-equipped (relatively speaking, of course).

Still, I prefer Honda/Acura's resale value, but many more experiences like the one with my RDX and I might have to reconsider.
The problems I have seen that have been creeping up on both Toyota and Honda have been since "assembled in America" became "built in America"

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag

Its clear Honda isnt what it used to be but still better than a lot of the brands out there IMO. Some of the issues you listed about the RDX I can attest to in my Si, like the bottom scuffed B-pillar (not sire how it got there but noticed it not long after purchase), a few random rattles, infotainment weirdness off and on. But luckily our saving grace is the Si isnt as technologically as advanced as the RDX so fewer things to break hence why we have fewer issues. But none the less that sucks, its terrible having issues with such a brand new car.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
It's about time people start thinking twice about pouring more Honda fandom kool-aid.

Honda's reputation is nowhere near as deserved as it should/used to be. I will agree with anyone and everyone here in saying Honda has a long history of making great vehicles, but the blind fandom and ignorance towards their products lately is ridiculous. Honda has become the Apple of consumer cars these days - there is such a large (and I say large, not ALL) fanbase of Honda people that just refuse to criticize their missteps and just wave it off as "its not a big deal, resale value and reputation!"

The Civic Hatchback should have been perfect for me. I've been a Honda fan for a while. They brought back the hatchback. They put every modern technology you can get on any car on it. A sporty hatchback by a brand with a reputation for sporty small cars with 40MPG highway and modern driving aids.

Yet this car has been the most disappointing car I've ever owned. I've passed the one year mark and the "cracks are starting to show". Worst of all is just the interior build quality. My Civic rattles more than my built motor, hard motor mount Evo X. I'm dead serious. I've started taking apart the headliner (the rattle sounds like a grocery bag flopping in the wind and its right by the ear, driving me nuts)...if you saw the "quality" of materials they used...my god...this is what everybody spouts about with Honda quality and reputation?

If you take off the rose-tinted glasses - its pretty easy to find a trickling history of growing complaints/criticisms/problems with Honda (and Acura) models over the years. At some point, you have to step back and hold them accountable.

Meanwhile tons of other brands are really getting competitive. The Mazda6 refinement looks so much better than the Accord (NVH being a real criticism of the Accord that Honda fans keep glossing over). Hyundai has some serious fun/sporty alternatives. Mazda's new 3 reveal is coming in a few days.

I don't see myself keeping my Civic Hatch and I don't see myself replacing it with anything else Honda. They recycle so many parts/features across their brand, but I've lived with everything they have to offer in a Sport Touring, and now I'm unimpressed with every feature but Honda Sensing - all those fancy features are just spec sheet bullet points. I just simply do. not. see. the build quality that fans seem so rabid about. It's a damn shame. And Honda fans just spew "yeah but it's a Honda" as their reasoning for everything. Why are you letting Honda tell you what you want? How about being critical of a brand you're so passionate about? It's the Apple mentality, and I hate it.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It's about time people start thinking twice about pouring more Honda fandom kool-aid.

Honda's reputation is nowhere near as deserved as it should/used to be. I will agree with anyone and everyone here in saying Honda has a long history of making great vehicles, but the blind fandom and ignorance towards their products lately is ridiculous. Honda has become the Apple of consumer cars these days - there is such a large (and I say large, not ALL) fanbase of Honda people that just refuse to criticize their missteps and just wave it off as "its not a big deal, resale value and reputation!"

The Civic Hatchback should have been perfect for me. I've been a Honda fan for a while. They brought back the hatchback. They put every modern technology you can get on any car on it. A sporty hatchback by a brand with a reputation for sporty small cars with 40MPG highway and modern driving aids.

Yet this car has been the most disappointing car I've ever owned. I've passed the one year mark and the "cracks are starting to show". Worst of all is just the interior build quality. My Civic rattles more than my built motor, hard motor mount Evo X. I'm dead serious. I've started taking apart the headliner (the rattle sounds like a grocery bag flopping in the wind and its right by the ear, driving me nuts)...if you saw the "quality" of materials they used...my god...this is what everybody spouts about with Honda quality and reputation?

If you take off the rose-tinted glasses - its pretty easy to find a trickling history of growing complaints/criticisms/problems with Honda (and Acura) models over the years. At some point, you have to step back and hold them accountable.

Meanwhile tons of other brands are really getting competitive. The Mazda6 refinement looks so much better than the Accord (NVH being a real criticism of the Accord that Honda fans keep glossing over). Hyundai has some serious fun/sporty alternatives. Mazda's new 3 reveal is coming in a few days.

I don't see myself keeping my Civic Hatch and I don't see myself replacing it with anything else Honda. They recycle so many parts/features across their brand, but I've lived with everything they have to offer in a Sport Touring, and now I'm unimpressed with every feature but Honda Sensing - all those fancy features are just spec sheet bullet points. I just simply do. not. see. the build quality that fans seem so rabid about. It's a damn shame. And Honda fans just spew "yeah but it's a Honda" as their reasoning for everything. Why are you letting Honda tell you what you want? How about being critical of a brand you're so passionate about? It's the Apple mentality, and I hate it.
Sorry you are having so much trouble with your car. It's not just Honda, it's other brands also that are cutting costs to compete. For example, I bought a Toyota Sienna in 2004, it had a "made in Japan" on the door label. It was a great van, the quality was excellent. It never gave us any issues for the 10 years/135K until my wife totaled it in 2013. So I bought a 2013 Sienna, it had a "built in America" label in the door. The quality of this van was nothing like the previous one. From the plastics to the build quality. I had to change the front struts twice, the rotor developed a hot spot, it was recalled for two separate issues. Now I don't know if all of this has to do with cost cutting or shitty American workmanship, but I suspect a little of both

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag

Agreed, sometimes its really annoying to see people blindly support Honda and hate on any other manufacturer when in reality, Honda is no longer what it used to be. People like to rest on their laurels or in this case rest on Honda's laurels but what they dont realize is that these days its completely misinformed to say that Honda is bulletproof reliable and nothing else can touch it (besides Toyota). I had a 3rd gen TL Type S and that thing was rock solid reliable, had an awesome sound system, and had a really high quality interior to go with it. In 2015, my dad bought an Acura TLX V6 Tech Package and it initially looked good, and them all the problems started. The 9 speed transmission was terrible and it has the clunkiest shifts from 1-2 and 2-3, infotainment was a nightmare, and the interior rattles were unacceptable for a car thats supposed to compete with other luxury cars. In comparison, my '08 TL-S had no interior rattles, no squeaking, a rock solid transmission and it had around 146K miles. As a result, he ditched the Acura and did something unexpected and bought a '16 Audi A6 3.0T. Say what you want about German cars but he's 36K miles in so far and the thing is as solid as a rock, and it is wayy faster than it has any right to be (keep in mind my dad is someone who has sworn by Japanese cars as long as I can remember).

I love Honda, but with all of these cars progressing in technology, the gap between Japanese brands like Honda and Toyota in comparison to all other brands is quickly closing in terms of "reliability". A good example is Toyota's latest Tacoma which is a legendary truck known for it's amazing reliability (My first car was an '03 Tacoma with 120K miles), and it is now currently sitting at one of the most unreliable trucks you can buy and Acura's whole car lineup (besides RDX) which is dated and overpriced crap and I would much rather buy a Honda. Brands such as Acura are for lack of a better word TERRIBLE in comparison to its competition now, and I don't understand why anyone buys an Acura anymore when all other brands outclass it by far. I still think Honda makes amazing cars that are sporty/fun to drive and yet practical and economical and no other brand does it as well as Honda, but I think their reliability that they boast about is quickly going down the drain. Thats the primary reason why I bought and love my Civic because its still better than all of its competition and it looks great.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Just because some of you have issues doesnt mean that everyone else does. Ive been happy with my SI. Once my lease is up, I would like to consider the Accord sport in some flavor with the manual transmission if I dont buy out my current SI or lease a new 2021 model.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.