Bluecoupe777

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Back in August of 2023 I took my car in to the local dealership to diagnose a problem with the fuel door lid that was stuck close as it wouldn't unlock/open when unlocking the car as it is supposed to. The lead service advisor correctly diagnosed the problem as a faulty fuel door actuator and even ordered the part for me. However, after over a month of waiting without contact I discovered the part is and has been on been on backorder after calling back after having come in. The part according to multiple Honda parts websites is specific for the coupe and is 74700-tbg-a02 and after having contacted at least one of them it is still out of stock, six+ months later. I already purchased the fuel door actuator off ebay for the sedan, but assuming the one for the coupe is specific for that model the one for the sedan presumably wouldn't work for the coupe? At this point it is so annoying, if I can't get it fixed I would almost sell my car if I could get the full market value. However, that would be my absolute last resort as I really think this has been an excellent car for me and ticks most of the boxes of what I feel I want and need in a car. If anyone knows if the coupe/sedan fuel door actuator parts are interchangeable or has any ideas of what else I can do I'd love to hear some feedback!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Why would the coupe and sedan have a different fuel door actuator?

You said you purchased the sedan one, why not see if it works? Have you asked the dealer?

OP
OP
Bluecoupe777

Bluecoupe777

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
That's a good question, the hatchback apparently has its own fuel door actuator as well. I purchased the sedan one before doing as much research and did ask if the dealership could install it, but the dealership I took the car to will only install parts they order. I suppose I could come up with the time this next summer or spring to try the diy approach and see if the part I purchased will fit, or see if a regular auto shop can install the part I have (74700-TBA-A02). In the meantime, I will ask another local dealership about the part, but I wouldnt necessary expect them to fully know why there is apparently a specific part for each body trim. Though I would expect Honda to know, if and perhaps they can give me the proper contact info.

OP
OP
Bluecoupe777

Bluecoupe777

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I think that might be my only chance at getting the correct part, but as this part goes faulty every so often and to make it worth it I would probably have to diy it (just thinking a used part might not last as long), it might be a while until I can make it happen. Thanks though, I was just hoping to not have to go there. But I suppose I may try one nearby junkyard later and see if they have it in stock. I guess I'm just a little disappointed that Honda doesn't have the correct new part in stock, but I suppose I'm also a bit spoiled for not having had to diy much for this car other than replacing a cracked fog light with new ones.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I still would wonder if it's the identical part just with a different part number. Honda's been known to do that. Like I said previously, the only way to know is to try the install.
Sponsored