2017 Honda Civic Si Prototype Debut - Q&A, Photos, Video

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
My guess is 210 hp and atleast 200 torque. if they can tweak a 2. to 300 plus they can tweak a 1.5 plus guy said all new 1.5 so it is probably not exact engine with higher boost. probably some same components but all new 1.5

Roig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Acura TL 3.2; 2016 HR-v; 2014 Acura MDX base; 2017 Subaru WRX
The car is coming out next year and it brings a tuned 1.5L turbo, they did not specified if it had Vtec
Very nice. I will not make any decisions on what to buy yet: Si, Type R, WRX and Sti, until I know the specifics in engine power/torque and price.

In my opinion, the only RELIABLE sporty compacts comparable to the Civic offerings are the Subaru's WRX and Sti. The Golf and Focus based ones might perform better or equally, but I would not feel comfortable spending my money on their reliability. Good job Honda.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Heck ya a balls to the wall awd wrx for 26k. is pretty nice

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Less HP by 4 but more torque than the 9th gen Si... so technically, more "power".
Torque is a measure of force and HP is a measure of power, so technically not more power. You can put a short final drive on a 100lbft engine and put 1000lbft down to the pavement, but the RPM's will be lower so the power will not change.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
The 1.5t Civic Si will have between 206 and 215hp. I highly doubt over 215hp to be honest.

It's going to be a fun car for the mindless person that dosent mind a 1.5t engine size in a full size passenger car (in the same leauge as a fiat 500 1.4l, Fiesta st 1.6l). All we can do is hope they put a different turbo and give it some revs (over 7000 to 7500) with close ratio 6sp. but I doubt it. It will probably have just a high boost high torque 91 octane version of the base 1.5t with Redline around 6700rpm. The Si has always been a high revving car, and there is lots of fun to be had from that.

Last edited:

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
Let's hope not. a new Focus St can be had right now for 22k. http://www.carsdirect.com/ford/focus-st
  • Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic Si Prototype Debut - Q&A, Photos, Video img22
    Engine: 2.0L GTDI EcoBoost
    4-cylinder 252 hp engine with 2.0-liter displacement, turbocharged direct injection
Focus ST just came back on my short list. Haven't considered an American car in over 30 years. Thanks a lot Honda!

Now check this out...

Torque is Cheap: Factory Ford ECU Flash Boosts Focus ST to 360 Lb-Ft | BestRide

http://bestride.com/news/torque-is-cheap-factory-ford-ecu-flash-boosts-focus-st-to-360-lb-ft

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
The Euro doesn't really have VTEC. It's just VTC but advertised as VTEC.
It does have VTEC AND VTC. I don't think they advertise VTEC on the valve cover when the camshaft a couple of inches behind the cover doesn't have it.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic Si Prototype Debut - Q&A, Photos, Video 27490435we

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Redline, rather blueline ;) is right at 6700.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic Si Prototype Debut - Q&A, Photos, Video 2017-honda-civic-si-prototype-19-
That has to be the ugliest steering wheel I have ever seen...gauges remind me of an 80's Dodge Daytona....shifter looks nice...seats look nice but that is about it...even the heated seat buttons look out of place....but hey, all that matters is that everybody talks about how they are going to get 400 HP out of that motor...yeah right...good luck

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Honda CRX Si
I feel like Honda has there pervebial head so far up there "edit", it really does genuinely upset me that I'm ready to buy a new car and unless you have the Trillion$ to toss out the window for the CTR, than this is what you get. Some watered down version of what Honda Purists really want.

They need to go straight back to their roots and take a long hard look at what made them who they are. It wasn't just that they had reliable cars....they had reliable cars that where fun! As they came, right outta the box. NOT "Optional" performance steering, & "Optional" performance suspension, or "Optional" ground effects......Performance use to be STANDARD on the Si.

I have had nothing but a Honda for the last 14 years. But that will probably be coming to an end.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
They need to go straight back to their roots and take a long hard look at what made them who they are. It wasn't just that they had reliable cars....they had reliable cars that where fun! As they came, right outta the box. NOT "Optional" performance steering, & "Optional" performance suspension, or "Optional" ground effects......Performance use to be STANDARD on the Si.

I have had nothing but a Honda for the last 14 years. But that will probably be coming to an end.
Some of you guys are being so over-dramatic, it's hard to read this forum at times.

Honda has gone back to their roots for this Civic, and even the most basic ones are fun to drive out of the box - just ask everyone on this forum that owns one. There is a reason this year will mark the highest Civic sales in its 44 year history.

Whether you like the 1.5L turbo engine or not, this will still be the highest performing Si ever offered. So yes, performance does come standard. (As does the active steering and suspension, by the way.) Honda is offering the Si with a true limited slip differential (even some Lotus and McLaren cars are criticized for not offering a LSD), a 6MT with no automatic option, the active steering and suspension, offering it in two different body styles, and offering the Type R for people that want even more performance.

As with every single car on the market, it can't and won't be to every single person's taste or interest, and that's fine. But I honestly don't get where the exaggerated overblown responses are coming from.

fg2kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1991 Civic DX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just a little bit of speculation here...

The current Honda Fit uses an L15B1. It's DOHC, direct-injected, has i-VTEC, and is similar to the engine used in our 1.5T Civics. It's not very hard to imagine Honda either slapping a turbo onto this or at least using the VTEC head.

I'm just trying to provide a glimmer of hope that we'll at least get a 1.5T with VTEC. Whether or not it makes a huge difference in HP, an Si should have VTEC!
Sponsored