Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Their email had a list of make/models
Which had b16 b18 k20c and L15B in them.
Years ago mfactory was great quality,I had their lsd in my 98 civic for years.
I can't say what they are today but i've heard those stories about the lack of quality.(The same stories where told of wavetrac 10 -15years ago).
Anyway times change 😃
I spent some time looking over both the Wavetrac and Mfactory. I'm not sure I'll ever recommend Mfactory for this application after I paid more attention to their design. The housings come together at the flange for the ring gear and because of that there is only threads in half of it, meaning that the ring gear bolts engage about half of the threads they're supposed to. The Wavetrac on the other hand doesn't come together at the flange so it is fully threaded just like the factory differential.

The fit and finish of the Wavetrac is also noticeably better, less sharp edges, less machining marks, more smooth radiuses, it's held together with ARP hardware; I have no doubt this differential will live a problem free life even at high power levels.

The Mfactory out of my Civic is only a few years old and my experience was pretty subpar. The clutch packs were stacked upside down on one side which resulted in one shearing all of the tabs off and also causing irreparable damage to the housing. On top of pulling the threads out of the housing because there is so little thread engagement for the ring gear bolts.

Mfactory works fine for lower power/low torque applications, but once you get into higher power/high abuse situations they start to fall short. I know a couple Evo guys who've prematurely worn out or straight up shattered Mfactory diffs too. IMO the couple hundred dollar price difference makes the Wavetrac well worth it.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products diff1

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products diff2

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products diff3

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I spent some time looking over both the Wavetrac and Mfactory. I'm not sure I'll ever recommend Mfactory for this application after I paid more attention to their design. The housings come together at the flange for the ring gear and because of that there is only threads in half of it, meaning that the ring gear bolts engage about half of the threads they're supposed to. The Wavetrac on the other hand doesn't come together at the flange so it is fully threaded just like the factory differential.

The fit and finish of the Wavetrac is also noticeably better, less sharp edges, less machining marks, more smooth radiuses, it's held together with ARP hardware; I have no doubt this differential will live a problem free life even at high power levels.

The Mfactory out of my Civic is only a few years old and my experience was pretty subpar. The clutch packs were stacked upside down on one side which resulted in one shearing all of the tabs off and also causing irreparable damage to the housing. On top of pulling the threads out of the housing because there is so little thread engagement for the ring gear bolts.

Mfactory works fine for lower power/low torque applications, but once you get into higher power/high abuse situations they start to fall short. I know a couple Evo guys who've prematurely worn out or straight up shattered Mfactory diffs too. IMO the couple hundred dollar price difference makes the Wavetrac well worth it.

diff1.jpg

diff2.jpg

diff3.jpg
Mfactory changed their design over the years.My old Mfactory diff didn't split at the flange.It was like the wavetrac is.
Those where being used a lot back then with Boosted D and B series guys .
How about quaify diffs? They always seemed to be great quality ,but they lacked in support if anything went wrong .And they always were pricey too.

OP
OP
Austin@Wunderladen Racing
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Mfactory changed their design over the years.My old Mfactory diff didn't split at the flange.It was like the wavetrac is.
Those where being used a lot back then with Boosted D and B series guys .
How about quaify diffs? They always seemed to be great quality ,but they lacked in support if anything went wrong .And they always were pricey too.
I'm under the impression that the clutch diffs they sell today are still identical to what I have. I've not seen anything about them changing the design in the past 3-4 years. Their helical diff may be constructed differently but all of the Mfactory diffs I've seen I would consider a budget option with middle of the road quality. None of their products have ever really wowed me.

Quaife diffs are good quality for sure, I've not seen really anyone have issues with their stuff, but I also haven't seen them offer a diff for this platform yet. The only options I'm aware of are Wavetrac, Mfactory, and HPD (which is made by Cusco).

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
how would you say is the spoon clutch diff?

in a somewhat similar situation, looking to install rv6 upgraded 3th and 4th gears. really like the wavetrac in my fiesta (although it will yank pretty hard for street driving), but sadly no application for the SI trans. hpd/cusco pretty expensive and wondering if the spoon (kaaz?) might be worth it.

subscribing to see how the rv6 gears work out for you, thanks for the info!

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
how would you say is the spoon clutch diff?

in a somewhat similar situation, looking to install rv6 upgraded 3th and 4th gears. really like the wavetrac in my fiesta (although it will yank pretty hard for street driving), but sadly no application for the SI trans. hpd/cusco pretty expensive and wondering if the spoon (kaaz?) might be worth it.

subscribing to see how the rv6 gears work out for you, thanks for the info!
I haven't seen really anything on the Spoon diff but it looks to be constructed like the MFactory diff where there is barely any thread engagement on the ring gear bolts which is a pretty poor design.

IMO if you already have an Si diff and the car isn't a dedicated track car I would stick with the stock Si diff. The performance advantage of a clutch type diff is really only found on track but it'll have far more maintenance than a gear type diff like the stock Si or Wavetrac diffs.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I haven't seen really anything on the Spoon diff but it looks to be constructed like the MFactory diff where there is barely any thread engagement on the ring gear bolts which is a pretty poor design.

IMO if you already have an Si diff and the car isn't a dedicated track car I would stick with the stock Si diff. The performance advantage of a clutch type diff is really only found on track but it'll have far more maintenance than a gear type diff like the stock Si or Wavetrac diffs.
got it, good to know! What are your thoughts on the HDP/Cusco diff?

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
got it, good to know! What are your thoughts on the HDP/Cusco diff?
If I was set on getting a clutch diff that's the one I would get.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Drove the car for the first time this year. It's been sitting at the shop all winter while I've been tearing it apart to measure and test fit things. Really pleased with how the side engine mounts are performing. Opted to go with the street bushings because I do street drive the car a fair bit and like a car with some street manners. Definitely a slight increase in NVH but even with the radio volume at like 5 there is no audible difference. There is a bit more vibration at idle but once the car is moving it doesn't feel any worse than the stock side mounts with our street rear mount. Absolutely no wheel hop!

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products tsla
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products mounts

Precord96FK7

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Just wanted to show my appreciation for Wunderladen Racing once again. I previously acquired the strut locks, rear brake bushings, and PowerFlex front lower arm bushings and thoroughly impressed. I went through a few oil catch cans and wanted a new setup and reached out to Austin about a catch can.

My setup is a little unique because I'm running the Radium coolant expansion tank where the Wunderladen Racing oil catch can typically mounts to the OE coolant expansion tank. Austin was prompt in replying and crafting a solution with clear detailed photos. He even sent a 2nd mounting option for me as another option (which is what I used). Austin communicated throughout the process and even sent the oil catch can to me FedEx 2nd day air! Received a follow-up email with a link to detailed install notes, then the oil catch can came packaged nicely with excellent hardware. I'm very pleased with the outcome and thankful we have him and his company supporting our community. Some photos of the before and after included.

Thank you Austin and Wunderladen Racing! Looking forward to my next purchase from your company.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 20240403_144707

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 20240403_133747

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 20240403_144701

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
motor mounts look great! do you have an approx eta on those?
also curious how they'd compare with the 70 durometer hasports, especially with regards to nvh

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
motor mounts look great! do you have an approx eta on those?
also curious how they'd compare with the 70 durometer hasports, especially with regards to nvh
Thanks! We're working on getting our first production batch right now. Will likely be up on the site next month, we'll have an announcement put out when they go live!

I can't give a solid answer to difference vs their 70A but our street mounts are a fair bit more friendly mannered with less NVH than their 82A. Our development FK7 came with 82A mounts on it when I bought it and none of the rearview mirrors were of much use at idle due to how much they vibrated.
Sponsored