Anybody having problems with cap less gas tank?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I fill up, I put the handle on the 1st click so it fills as slow as possible. I figure the air will have a better chance of escaping. I let it click off, wait another 20-30 seconds and fill it until it clicks again. Wait another 10 seconds, like everyone says, so the tank has a full load, then pull it out.

matse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
When I fill up, I put the handle on the 1st click so it fills as slow as possible. I figure the air will have a better chance of escaping. I let it click off, wait another 20-30 seconds and fill it until it clicks again. Wait another 10 seconds, like everyone says, so the tank has a full load, then pull it out.
I have been doing this and it seems to stop the overflowing that previously happened. It's strange, but it seemed to happen at some gas stations and not others. Or even some pumps at a particular gas station, but not all of them.

Using the slower, first click, for the fill up has worked much better to prevent the overflow

MaximusBKK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan + a few non-Hondas
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For years I've had this habit when filling up that I hadn't really thought about until I read this. Works great with this cap-less system. After the click I lift the handle so the nozzle is almost vertical and only about halfway in, wait 5 or 6 seconds, give it a little shake, tilt it back to almost horizontal again, then quickly pull it out. Clean every time!

For the dudes here, this also translates well to the urinal. Except for your "nozzle" being in something. For God's sake, your nozzle should never be in anything that's in the bathroom.

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring ; 2016 CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here in NJ we don"t pump our own gas but the kids at my local Shell Station [Top Tier] know and love my Touring and are huge Civic fans. Two of them have older SI's and they know the routine; no top off and wait a few seconds before pull out. We also get into a discussion as to when the new SI's are coming out and I turned them all on to the Civic Forum.

OP
OP

Hockey_magnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Personally I don't like the cap less tank. IMHO this an added point of failure with practically no benefit. I think Honda will be repairing a lot of these in a few years. We've all been removing gas caps for years, not exactly a difficult or time consuming task. If a gas cap fails (never happened to me yet), it's easy to replace. Anyway, I never lock the hose on and when I'm getting close to full, I back off the trigger a bit. Make sure the nozzle is fully inserted. You also definitely need to wait 10 seconds before removing the nozzle (I know that's not the OP's problem). Also one response indicates they always over flow the tank to get a correct measurement. You should never do this. All car manufacturers instruct you not to top up and only I'll to shut off. If you let it set off automatically then stop, your measurement will be so consistent it does't matter.

Reactions: tcl

we4tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T
For those that have had the gas nozzle get stuck, any tips on getting it removed?
I faced it once, then I had to force to pull out the nozzle. Since then, I learned, I have to insert only the first few inch :)

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
I faced it once, then I had to force to pull out the nozzle. Since then, I learned, I have to insert only the first few inch :)
In the manual it says to "insert the filler nozzle fully"

so it's kinda confusing

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Really? I have always inserted fully like always. No problems

HonoluluBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
New EX - I pretty much always fill my tank til the auto shut off on the hose kicks in. I insert the nozzle as far as it will go and I do not attempt to top it up. I remove the nozzle very carefully but I always seem to wind up with a very small amount of gas going down the small drain hole and have to wipe the filler area clean. Never had this type of problem with any other car (they all had standard gas caps. Has anybody else noticed this? On my next fill I'll watch very closely to see if I can see at what point it's leaking.
I had the exact same thought, but then I realized why it was happening to me. In other cars, I had developed a habit of 'rattling' the nozzle before removing to remove any excess gas in the handle. In the Civic's capless system there is no room to rattle so you end up with a little drizzle! :D

HonoluluBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
For those that have had the gas nozzle get stuck, any tips on getting it removed?
I've had the nozzle stuck a few times and realized that the auto-doorlock was related to the problem. I've found that if I unlock the doors it comes right out!

Try it and see if it works for you.

Warren803

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There are so many different threads about this exact same issue if you search.

Every time a new thread pops up, immediately people ask the same damn question "did you wait the 5 to 10 seconds before removing nozzle" over and over again. I'll quote what I wrote in a previous thread.

"I think the people in this thread are confusing different issues. We got some people saying you have to wait 5 seconds to remove the nozzle, but that is completely unrelated. The gas leaks out from my overfill hole even before I remove the nozzle.

The first time I put gas in my car (put a gallon of gas in from a QT gas station), there was a small amount of gas near the overfill hole. I thought I must have pulled the nozzle out too fast (didn't wait 5 seconds) and wiped it up and moved on.

The 2nd time I filled up my car (filled the whole tank from Costco and used the handle lock mechanism so that I could walk away) I made sure to wait longer than 5 seconds after the pump automatically stopped. As soon as I removed the nozzle, I noticed a lot of gasoline near the overfill hole. So much that I was alarmed and drove directly to my nearest dealership because I thought the cap was leaking. The service department was closed, so they weren't able to look at it. That is when I started searching this forum to come and find out this is a common issue.

There are multiple threads about this issue and here are some of the theories of why it happens that I have pieced together from multiple threads.

- Someone mentioned that their dealer said it was a known issue and Honda was looking into it.
- Someone mentioned that they read somewhere that there is some sort of filter near the nozzle which is creating back splash. Once this filter is broken in after a few fill ups, the overfill leak stops. Some people have reported that it does seem to stop after roughly 5 fill ups.
- Some people theorize different nozzle designs from different gas stations causes the issue. I can confirm QT and Costco nozzles in Georgia will see the leak.
- Some people theorize that users experiencing the leak are not pushing the nozzle far enough into the tank. (I personally think this is hogwash if a difference of a couple of centimeters would cause such an issue, and if so, then it's a design flaw to me).

Personally, to me, the first two reasons listed above seem to be the most likely."

The issue stopped on my car after about a month or two of fill ups, so the second reason above seems to be the most likely culprit in my opinion. I think since the issue stopped occurring on my car regularly, it did happen again once. I think the issue has mostly resolved itself though.

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
I've had my car 9 months, 17k miles, and unfortunately still have this issue. It has gotten better - the fuel used to come out enough to spill onto my exterior, now it is just a little and drains into the little hole. I find it is a little worse when the car is warm.

The dealer pretended to look at it but was unable to replicate the issue. Unfortunately they didn't try filling the tank fully in their attempts, so that was a waste of time.

I'll have them look again next time I'm in for any other issues. And again the time after that. Until they are able to resolve it.
Sponsored