Anybody having problems with cap less gas tank?

JudgeCrater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Ridgeline, Accord
Country flag
Never any drips or burps with my Touring. Always cleanly unhooks.
Sponsored

jtamase

the.xth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX Hatchback; 2016 Pilot LX
Country flag
One solution is to put paper towels and Clorox wipes in your car. Finish gas, wipe, then disinfect.
I do this, I put paper towel right under the nozzle so if it does leak/overspill, it'll be on the paper towel.

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went to a gas station just now on my way home from work. I waited 5-10 seconds. Usually there is some dribbling but when I dismounted the gas nozzle, there was no leakage at all. I think that was the first time something like that happened.

htwarholic78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T 6mt
Just recently I had a problem I haven't heard before, we got a lot of snow last night and it seems that water or snow actually got in through the gas cap and accumulated right underneath where the capless flap swings up. I was not able to get the cap open because of how much ice had accumulated. Now i can get the ice out but it makes me wonder how much water/ice or even road debris or dust is getting into my gas tank.

Civic Fan 2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic, 2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
The auto shut off will leak about 75% of the time. This time it didn't, but the gas smell is so strong after filling up today that I had to air out the garage.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's the nozzle, when I keep my hands on it while filling up it automatically stops otherwise 2/5 it over fills, very little.

As I said in the other thread it feels unnecessary.

norteng

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback
For those that have had the gas nozzle get stuck, any tips on getting it removed?
I just bought a 2018 civic sport and filled the first tank. What a surprise that it wasnt obvious and intuitive how to remove the gas pump. (If it aint broke, dont fix it... really Honda? you had to make a gas cap difficult to use?). I was lucky that after pushing/pulling/prodding and finally lifting, it released. There should be a well defined brief on how to remove the pump, should/when it gets stuck. Is it: Lift it almost vertical before attempting to pull it out?

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
just filled up today and it splashed and went down the paint

I set it to max auto refil, that's probably my fault

There's generally little runoff when I hold the trigger while refilling

420moonboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic
Personally I don't like the cap less tank. IMHO this an added point of failure with practically no benefit. I think Honda will be repairing a lot of these in a few years. We've all been removing gas caps for years, not exactly a difficult or time consuming task. If a gas cap fails (never happened to me yet), it's easy to replace. Anyway, I never lock the hose on and when I'm getting close to full, I back off the trigger a bit. Make sure the nozzle is fully inserted. You also definitely need to wait 10 seconds before removing the nozzle (I know that's not the OP's problem). Also one response indicates they always over flow the tank to get a correct measurement. You should never do this. All car manufacturers instruct you not to top up and only I'll to shut off. If you let it set off automatically then stop, your measurement will be so consistent it does't matter.
I had mine repaired 4 days after getting the car. The day after I filled up the tank the first time I got emission system issue on the dash so I took it to dealer and they told me the capless thing was broken... I was joking around with my family that they gave me a shitty one because I didn't want to take the additional warranty

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not until the car throws a code for the evap system and it can't be corrected by replacing a $10 gas cap...

Otherwise, it's very convenient.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
HATE this design. I've had to create a new procedure for myself to keep the darn thing from spilling out of the cap. First I guess how many gallons I need because if I fill it up till it stops, a spill is guaranteed. Next I wait 5 seconds, pull the hose out half way, wait 5 seconds, remove. I also hate that when I wash the car or it rains, water and dirt gets in behind the lid, like others, I'm wondering how much of that makes it into the cap.

Side note, I also have recently changed my habits of inserting the hose into the car before running my card and selecting my fuel grade.... Used to do that first but some little B word thought it would be funny to lock the pump handle back last week. Removed it after selecting fuel grade and it started spraying all over my car..... Only 10 minutes after washing it ....... Sigh, I hate people.

josef104

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
HATE this design. I've had to create a new procedure for myself to keep the darn thing from spilling out of the cap. First I guess how many gallons I need because if I fill it up till it stops, a spill is guaranteed. Next I wait 5 seconds, pull the hose out half way, wait 5 seconds, remove. I also hate that when I wash the car or it rains, water and dirt gets in behind the lid, like others, I'm wondering how much of that makes it into the cap.

Side note, I also have recently changed my habits of inserting the hose into the car before running my card and selecting my fuel grade.... Used to do that first but some little B word thought it would be funny to lock the pump handle back last week. Removed it after selecting fuel grade and it started spraying all over my car..... Only 10 minutes after washing it ....... Sigh, I hate people.
So I've been living with this for more than a year now. May be time to take it to the dealer and replace something. Looks like the leak is only an issue with some cars. And yes, I didn't say some users, because I have tried every possible way to fill in the gas without a leak over this one year period. No, I am not trying to remove the nozzle before the 10 secs. It doesn't get to that point as it starts to leak before that most times.

josef104

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So I've been living with this for more than a year now. May be time to take it to the dealer and replace something. Looks like the leak is only an issue with some cars. And yes, I didn't say some users, because I have tried every possible way to fill in the gas without a leak over this one year period. No, I am not trying to remove the nozzle before the 10 secs. It doesn't get to that point as it starts to leak before that most times.
Also: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10086567-2280.pdf

Also one other thread with this discussion:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/fuel-overfill-honda-is-aware-and-working-on-it.7079/page-10
Sponsored