Anybody having problems with cap less gas tank?

Hockey_magnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
New EX - I pretty much always fill my tank til the auto shut off on the hose kicks in. I insert the nozzle as far as it will go and I do not attempt to top it up. I remove the nozzle very carefully but I always seem to wind up with a very small amount of gas going down the small drain hole and have to wipe the filler area clean. Never had this type of problem with any other car (they all had standard gas caps. Has anybody else noticed this? On my next fill I'll watch very closely to see if I can see at what point it's leaking.
Sponsored

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
New EX - I pretty much always fill my tank til the auto shut off on the hose kicks in. I insert the nozzle as far as it will go and I do not attempt to top it up. I remove the nozzle very carefully but I always seem to wind up with a very small amount of gas going down the small drain hole and have to wipe the filler area clean. Never had this type of problem with any other car (they all had standard gas caps. Has anybody else noticed this? On my next fill I'll watch very closely to see if I can see at what point it's leaking.
Do you let the nozzle sit in the tank for 5-10 seconds after it stops to let it finish dripping out?

OP
OP

Hockey_magnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Do you let the nozzle sit in the tank for 5-10 seconds after it stops to let it finish dripping out?
Thanks. Didn't count to ten or anything but I'm sure it was 5 or 10 seconds but even so, If that was the problem, I would have been having the same issue with a capped tank wouldn't I?

Chris G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2010 Toyota Prius
Yep you need to give it 10 seconds before pulling out.

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
I let the nozzle to auto shut off and even before I pull out the nozzle, the gas already spills. I never bother to clean it.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep you need to give it 10 seconds before pulling out.
That's what she said!
Does anyone know where that gas that spills into the hole goes when the gas overspills?

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
... but I always seem to wind up with a very small amount of gas going down the small drain hole .
I wouldn't consider this to be "a problem." That is what the hole is there for. If it's only a few drips, it probably evaporates before it even makes it all the way down the drain tube. Mine does this all the time. The interior shelf is plastic and not likely to be affected by the small amounts of fuel that gets on it so I've never bothered to wipe it off.

quadna71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring sedan
Country flag
My Touring burps each time I fill up too. I insert all the way, lock the handle to high flow, and then don't top off at all. When the handle clicks, I check and every time it has burped a little out into the overflow area. Never enough to spill over into the paint, but enough that it's sort of any annoyance. I'm not referring to some spilling out when removing the nozzle...I'm referring to it burping out immediately when it clicks off. 3 different gas stations have been used so far and all had the same result. Will it hurt anything? Doubtful. Is it normal? Doubt it because none of our past Hondas did it.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's what she said!!!
Bruh, I hope that's *not* what she said.

...otherwise, I'm running straight for that door. :eek:

:topic: --> Only issue spilling gas happened today...and that's because I was staring at this cute chick while filling up and missed the hole. Spilled all over the bottom of the hole. Typically I have no issues if it you get the nozzle in fully the first time, but it goes in at a weird-looking angle.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
It goes out the tube and down to the ground.
Do you know this for a fact or are just speculating? It's my guess that it goes into an evap canister like many other cars and gets sucked back into the engine as vapor so there is no waste. If not then I have been wasting gas every time I fill because I purposely let it overflow to get a repeatable fill. I even sat there and checked for drippage the first few fill ups to make sure that it wasn't just draining, and nothing came out the bottom of the car.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Not a fan of the new capless design. I follow the instructions, wait 5 to 10 seconds, etc. and always some gas spills into the well. Also, had an incident where a gas nozzle got stuck because the locking mechanism didn't want to disengage and release when filling up at Costco. Took 10 minutes until it finally released.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
For those that have had the gas nozzle get stuck, any tips on getting it removed?
Sponsored