AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It's like if you were outside in the desert that is 100F with not wind, you will heat up, but if it were windy with same temp you would still heat up but not as much, hotter wind is better than no wind. SO the engine bay air is heating it up, but the circulating air when driving keeps that hot air from heating it up further.
Having been to both the middle east, and the Mojave desert, experiencing 130° heat, if it's windy you're having a very bad time.
It's like having hair dryers surrounding you that are blowing at higher speeds than your typical hair dryer, plus all of the heat that radiates up from the sand. Would 100% prefer still air than any wind at that temperature.

Wildest, most brutal heat I'd ever experienced was right on the Gulf coast over in Kuwait. It would be 130° with over 90% humidity thrown on top of it. It felt like suffocating. Lol the buildings and even the sand would get wet.

I still need to order some gold reflective tape and the silver shielding, along with the downpipe elbow blanket. Wish I could find them all at the same place instead of a bunch of separate orders. Don't know how well gold tape would work on the PRL black powder coated charge pipe. The hoses should be fine being silicone, wouldn't hurt to try at least. With the elbow and a bit of creative heat shielding around the turbo and downpipe, plus shielding the bottom half of the Titanium inlet, hopefully I can keep IAT from steadily climbing on high speed 5th gear pulls.

Has anyone had any luck with modifying the MAP temp sensor by moving the sensor probe away from the side plastic pieces that block airflow, or by cutting them down? Trying to decide if it's worth the effort and I should order an extra one Incase I fuck up.
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Having been to both the middle east, and the Mojave desert, experiencing 130° heat, if it's windy you're having a very bad time.
It's like having hair dryers surrounding you that are blowing at higher speeds than your typical hair dryer, plus all of the heat that radiates up from the sand. Would 100% prefer still air than any wind at that temperature.

Wildest, most brutal heat I'd ever experienced was right on the Gulf coast over in Kuwait. It would be 130° with over 90% humidity thrown on top of it. It felt like suffocating. Lol the buildings and even the sand would get wet.

I still need to order some gold reflective tape and the silver shielding, along with the downpipe elbow blanket. Wish I could find them all at the same place instead of a bunch of separate orders. Don't know how well gold tape would work on the PRL black powder coated charge pipe. The hoses should be fine being silicone, wouldn't hurt to try at least. With the elbow and a bit of creative heat shielding around the turbo and downpipe, plus shielding the bottom half of the Titanium inlet, hopefully I can keep IAT from steadily climbing on high speed 5th gear pulls.

Has anyone had any luck with modifying the MAP temp sensor by moving the sensor probe away from the side plastic pieces that block airflow, or by cutting them down? Trying to decide if it's worth the effort and I should order an extra one Incase I fuck up.
I haven’t modified my sensor at all. I think mine is reading pretty accurately considering I’m getting 10-20f above ambient depending on amount of throttle. I think certain cars were soaking up to 160-180f for charge temps.

I might wrap my silicone inlet to help some of the heat soak. I went for a drive and the two hottest intake parts were the aluminum inlet and the black silicone tube. Both were scorching hot. It makes sense though because it’s right above the turbo and downpipe. My IAT2 temps are 4-7F above ambient and I suspect that if I can keep it close to that going all the way to the IC, I’ll have overall less cooling issues. Makes the IC have to work less

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag

I do that for many customers and myself, it does help , but I’m not cutting the plastic tab .

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag

Here a short video after driving around 35 minutes city driving stop traffic ambient temps around 84f degrees iat2 intake temps iat after intercooler

AKQJ10

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I bought it in Amazon, is more like a sheet and yes this change I would say dramatically the Iat2 and Iat temperatures. I tested during low speed periods and long term idle periods it stays low for more time . Eventually if you left the car idle for 30 minutes the temperature raise up anyway.
are these sheets adhesive? how did you "glue" it on the air intake box?, pip i know you can just use the heat tape. but this is different.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
are these sheets adhesive? how did you "glue" it on the air intake box?, pip i know you can just use the heat tape. but this is different.
The material I posted long time ago the sheets are sticky back, and is very strong, once you glue it is very hard to take off if you made a mistake.

Wow this post is very old, now my engine bay is completely different.
But I still using this for wrap intake boxes and some charge pipes, depending the shape.

AKQJ10

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
The material I posted long time ago the sheets are sticky back, and is very strong, once you glue it is very hard to take off if you made a mistake.

Wow this post is very old, now my engine bay is completely different.
But I still using this for wrap intake boxes and some charge pipes, depending the shape.
thanks for reply from such an old post. so you think this is better than the Gold? i'm debating now after reading this....

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
thanks for reply from such an old post. so you think this is better than the Gold? i'm debating now after reading this....
Yes this wrap is superior , i have compared the heat transfer side by side with a heat gun and thermometer from the other side and the result were huge difference between materials.

The problem with this material is thicker and more difficult to cut and mold .

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes this wrap is superior , i have compared the heat transfer side by side with a heat gun and thermometer from the other side and the result were huge difference between materials.

The problem with this material is thicker and more difficult to cut and mold .
Curious, does it shed the heat quickly after it heat soaks? I mean that's a benefit of gold tape. That and the pliability of it.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Curious, does it shed the heat quickly after it heat soaks? I mean that's a benefit of gold tape. That and the pliability of it.
It takes longer to cool down vs gold tape, but for transfer heat takes several time and the gold tape takes a couple seconds is transferring the heat.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
It takes longer to cool down vs gold tape, but for transfer heat takes several time and the gold tape takes a couple seconds is transferring the heat.
That's what I figured. Gold tape is really meant to resist radiation heat. The small amount of fiberglass helps with the conductive/convective heat.
The rate at which it heats up and cools down is an indication of which is the bigger contributor.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
The flexibility of the material the gold tape is superior, you can gave the shape more easily , the other material is more difficult . But i have done many complex shapes, let me see if I have a latest wraps pics.

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent engine bay heat IMG_8078.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent engine bay heat IMG_8411.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent engine bay heat Oem intake

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
By results in slow speed driving conditions, and long periods of standstill the results are superior , less heat soak vs the gold tape, all depends where you use these materials, for the intake and charge pipe is great, but if you planning to use in other areas when the wrap doesn't fully cover the surface I would recommend another material, I use titanium sticky back for the inlet pipe, but has to be separate from the elbow like the picture.

MrM04

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Civic Type R, Scion xD, (Two Wheels 14' ZX6R)
Country flag
Entire Airbox, and the cold side intake piping should be gold wrapped. I thermal coated every pipe and heat shield. I'll hold 27 psi at over 100 degrees in Phoenix.

IMG_1952.JPG

ICp3yNDFST2ZhS6mhN83CA.jpg

50977151_294410421427179_6804613872369283135_n.jpg

49686683_116305102766888_808843258621905527_n.jpg
Did you ceramic my coat those parts?