Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak

Doing installs, does turbo inlet pipe get gold tape or lava fiber?

• Gold tape for inlet

• Insulate inlet to reduce heat transfer

Results are only viewable after voting.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I was told not to wrap the cat per DEI. It would overheat it.
Aftermarket cat are made from metal , aren’t ceramic , I had GRP catted downpipe with downpipe blanket , not issued until I sold.
Sponsored

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
Titanium exhausts don’t need wrap. You’d also damage it by overheating the metal and make it go brittle
1. This thread is about an intake.
2. Why would a titanium exhaust not “need” wrap in comparison to say...a 304 stainless exhaust? Please elaborate your reasoning.
3. Did the arc from welding “overheat”/“damage” the metal?
4. What’s the threshold/temperature that overheats titanium?

My point is that a lot of info in this thread is regurgitated BS and that heat cycling an intake pipe is not going to put the titanium through an allotropic transformation (alpha to beta).

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
1. This thread is about an intake.
2. Why would a titanium exhaust not “need” wrap in comparison to say...a 304 stainless exhaust? Please elaborate your reasoning.
3. Did the arc from welding “overheat”/“damage” the metal?
4. What’s the threshold/temperature that overheats titanium?

My point is that a lot of info in this thread is regurgitated BS and that heat cycling an intake pipe is not going to put the titanium through an allotropic transformation (alpha to beta).
I follow so many threads I thought they were talking about Ti in general. I don’t know at what temperature it overheats but I’ve consulted with DEI and they said to not wrap titanium exhausts. You can wrap the titanium or aluminum inlet however with a reflective material.

AndresK

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic type r
Country flag
Can you ceramic coat the turbo inlet pipe? “ PRL one “

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Heat wrap is meant to hold heat in and applications that get to 1000 deg or more.. not for 150 deg ambient temps.

turbo blanket and down pipe wrap is the best way to remove heat from the engine bay... because it stays in the exhaust.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I follow so many threads I thought they were talking about Ti in general. I don’t know at what temperature it overheats but I’ve consulted with DEI and they said to not wrap titanium exhausts. You can wrap the titanium or aluminum inlet however with a reflective material.
~700c it starts to oxidize in open air environments.. very possible to reach that in racing applications.
304 ss is around 850 and 321 roughly 900.. what i found on google cuz i was interested

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
~700c it starts to oxidize in open air environments.. very possible to reach that in racing applications.
304 ss is around 850 and 321 roughly 900.. what i found on google cuz i was interested
Again. This is about an intake.

700C is nearly 1300F.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Recently got ptp's downpipe elbow as I don't want to wrap my cat. Also got a few square feet of their thick fiberglass woven heat shielding and placed it around the middle of the inlet on the back side from screw mounting point to screw mounting point. Radiant heat from the turbine and downpipe is very minimal but the exposed area between them at the wastegate actuator arm is very hot. I'm thinking of putting some more of the material in that area.

I need to pick up a sheet of malleable but sturdy material. Place some of the insulation on it and use it as ducting to shield the bigger coolant lines and the path towards the intake and all cold side charge piping.

I've already wrapped my aluminum PRL charge pipe and found out my map sensor back as the head had all of the plastic pieces and probe all compacted together. I took a tiny electronics screw driver and sperated everything and moved the probe to the center. Cruising on the highway at 85mph+ temperature at the manifold was only 2-3f above what it was at the MAF housing. So whenever you're about to go wide open, your charge air is already around the temperature it would need to drop down well into spool up previously. It also makes rising IAT on long full load pulls more resilient to soak.

There's more stuff I can try when I get the time. But so far so good.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag