Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak

Doing installs, does turbo inlet pipe get gold tape or lava fiber?

• Gold tape for inlet

• Insulate inlet to reduce heat transfer

Results are only viewable after voting.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Titanium has low thermal conductivity, which is one reason it is well suited for inlet piping...it allows less heat to be conducted, or transferred from the hot to the cold. It seems that any other supporting activity (further insulating or heat rejection) could only further prevent heat from being transferred into the charge.
I had the same question as you few months ago... I am basically obsessed with heat management with my ctr.
I understand it this way.
Titanium has low thermal conductivity, way lower than Aluminum, copper, iron... so it doesnt get hot or cold as how other metal is.. it is always not too cold or not too hot to touch.
Air feed in from intake doesnt stay in this pipe, it literally just pass through and has very little to no time to get affected by the titanium pipe which it simply doesnt get heat up to begin with. I guess that is the reason way we buy TIP right?

I dont have data or number to prove that.
Sponsored

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I have done many testing regarding , blanket s , wraps, etc , the best result I had were wrapping underneath of the oem inlet pipe. Also I have done many other Rs, cooling mods , one has plr inlet pipe , in that case has separate from the turbo elbow and connect trough silicone hose to the inlet pipe , thermally insulated, I did wrap underneath, because is very thin titanium. Now I’m testing something on the oem inlet pipe , I separated isolated from the elbow , pretty much like the prl design, and having good result from the intake side , I were expecting get Improvement’s after the intercooler , more quicker response in case of heat slack but for some reason I’m having better results from the intake . The first testing with the inlet pipe was using the thermal gasket for insulated from the turbo to the inlet pipe and completely wrap the pipe, the results were good until heat soak , when that happens is very difficult and take more time to cool down , the iat 2 and iat were very high after the heat soak what happened is depending the material you choose for wrap can help or can make the thing worse in this case make the thing worse keeping the heat inside one it heat soak, the same thing with the blankets . The problem is this inlet pipe is having heat from many places , the principal place is from the radiator , ( if you have the ac on is worse) blowing hot air to all the engine bay heating all the intake components , hoses , charge pipe , etc , the other source of heat air is the turbo itself , when you are sitting on traffic it supposed to suck air in , but the hot air producing from the hot side of the turbo is worse .
Now with this latest experiment I’m having great results .

I will post some pictures of the first experiment and the last one .

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak ACB7525E-B9EA-4020-8210-57412F597AA3

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak C6A2C994-A9C4-48AA-98CB-CE4EE2B9A8CD

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak 018F3389-75F1-4A2D-8D2F-567D54B033E2

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak 4C8F172E-264B-4BB8-8C1A-7791F0911158

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak 02B44D8A-A367-49B4-9EFA-9E88FCDF566F

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak 0BA93AEE-1FFB-4D1B-BE84-1E44631B5B9C

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak 8DAD74D9-8AA8-4F85-9799-6FD1DA0094A3

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak 1065F693-88AD-495E-8AE6-42442CF78218

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak 3E59BF2B-13D5-4A03-8136-AB4841C76389

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Y’all are confusing an INLET pipe to be an exhaust part. The op is trying to reduce heat soak into the inlet by using a heat reflective material.

can y’all please read

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Y’all are confusing an INLET pipe to be an exhaust part. The op is trying to reduce heat soak into the inlet by using a heat reflective material.

can y’all please read
What will be your explanation Or sugestiĂłn for reduce the temperatures at the intake and after the intercooler ?
Everyone knows that inlet pipe get very hot ( around 170 degrees according my fluke infrared thermometer ) , and all the rest of the hoses , charge pipe , intake , all get about the same . How you will prevent this ?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
What will be your explanation Or sugestiĂłn for reduce the temperatures at the intake and after the intercooler ?
Everyone knows that inlet pipe get very hot ( around 170 degrees according my fluke infrared thermometer ) , and all the rest of the hoses , charge pipe , intake , all get about the same . How you will prevent this ?
my comment isn’t directed towards you. But my goal is to cerakote all of the exhaust hot parts, dei titanium heat wrap them, and reuse OEM heat shields. I have the PRL Ti inlet as well and I haven’t decided whether or not to coat it or wrap it with a “reflective” material. Not to be confused with their other wraps that keep the heat in. I will probably take the same approach as you and wrap the underside of the inlet with the dei stuff.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
my comment isn’t directed towards you. But my goal is to cerakote all of the exhaust hot parts, dei titanium heat wrap them, and reuse OEM heat shields. I have the PRL Ti inlet as well and I haven’t decided whether or not to coat it or wrap it with a “reflective” material. Not to be confused with their other wraps that keep the heat in. I will probably take the same approach as you and wrap the underside of the inlet with the dei stuff.
Ok one of the test I did before :
I had catted downpipe with blanket , i tested without the heat shield , I had for a while (4 months) and then I decided to install the shields , the blanket or if you wrap the downpipe there is a section is exposed , so thought will be better with the oem heat shield but the results were worse, I had higher iat and iat2 temperatures, apparently the head shield have some heat reflected when the radiators blows the hot air hitting the hoses and pipe . I don’t have the best explanation for this but the only thing I can tell is was worse .

that’s in my experience with the oem heat shield. Make non sense but the numbers don’t lie .

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
okay so with all the back and forth whats the answer
1.) gold wrap
2.) Lava wrap
3.) do nothing

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
You didn’t specify it was for a PRL TIP for the poll. I wrapped my stock TIP with gold reflective tape and it’s noticeably cooler to the touch after a drive. I wouldn’t wrap titanium though.

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
Q: can i wrap the plastic turbo inlet pipe? In my Si i have megan racing Dp/Fp with a K&N cai

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Ok one of the test I did before :
I had catted downpipe with blanket , i tested without the heat shield , I had for a while (4 months) and then I decided to install the shields , the blanket or if you wrap the downpipe there is a section is exposed , so thought will be better with the oem heat shield but the results were worse, I had higher iat and iat2 temperatures, apparently the head shield have some heat reflected when the radiators blows the hot air hitting the hoses and pipe . I don’t have the best explanation for this but the only thing I can tell is was worse .

that’s in my experience with the oem heat shield. Make non sense but the numbers don’t lie .
So you removed both shields on turbo and cat? I reinstalled mine on my RV6 catted DP. I have it partially wrapped right now. I left the cat exposed and have a turbo blanket. I wonder if that heat would absorb into the radiator though

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
So you removed both shields on turbo and cat? I reinstalled mine on my RV6 catted DP. I have it partially wrapped right now. I left the cat exposed and have a turbo blanket. I wonder if that heat would absorb into the radiator though
what I would do is wrap the cat also , any components who radiate heat I’ve tried to insulated from the rest , I mean exhaust system , intake /system charge pipe etc , also redirect the radiator exhaust a little te bit .

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
what I would do is wrap the cat also , any components who radiate heat I’ve tried to insulated from the rest , I mean exhaust system , intake /system charge pipe etc , also redirect the radiator exhaust a little te bit .
I was told not to wrap the cat per DEI. It would overheat it.
Sponsored