VTECnR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R
Country flag
We made a little video of our 2017 FK8 Civic Type-R on the dyno during testing our downpipe testing.

The car picked up 16 whp and 6 ft/lbs tq with our catless downpipe. Car had our front pipe, FMIC and Greddy cat-back exhaust. (Stock ECU map, no tuning)
CTR%20Downpipe%20Testing_zpstuczfu5j.jpg

Our car picked up 29 whp and 15 ft/lbs tq from stock by adding our catless downpipe, front pipe FMIC and Greddy catback exhaust without any tuning whatsoever.
CTR%20Stock%20Vs%20Downpipe_zps7ejp3ktg.jpg

Also, we were able to keep off all o2 related CELs with a Fabspeed defouler. Not too shabby for some basic bolt-ons!
For those of us that are thinking about adding your DP but really like the OEM cat-back, what might one expect as far as gains with "that" combo?

For example, I'm running your intercooler and Hondata's 93 calibration right now (and the OEM exhaust) and it's fabulous. I've been thinking about ordering your DP too but if I do, will it require your front pipe & a catback to see worthwhile gains? In other words, do I need to spend $400 for your FP and $665 for the Greddy catback in addition to the $336 for your DP to see good returns?

... that's kinda what I'm feeling you're trying to tell us with the information you've provided but I'm not sure. For example, the PRL website advertises 12hp with "just" your frontpipe and 16hp from "your downpipe" but doesn't mention if the "16hp" is a stand alone or combo figure of the two. I'm guessing it's a stand alone as the 2 pieces aren't bundle priced together but I'm not sure?

Sorry for all the questions... just trying to follow the logic path and I'm a bit lost, lol.

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
For those of us that are thinking about adding your DP but really like the OEM cat-back, what might one expect as far as gains with "that" combo?

For example, I'm running your intercooler and Hondata's 93 calibration right now (and the OEM exhaust) and it's fabulous. I've been thinking about ordering your DP too but if I do, will it require your front pipe & a catback to see worthwhile gains? In other words, do I need to spend $400 for your FP and $665 for the Greddy catback in addition to the $336 for your DP to see good returns?

... that's kinda what I'm feeling you're trying to tell us with the information you've provided but I'm not sure. For example, the PRL website advertises 12hp with "just" your frontpipe and 16hp from "your downpipe" but doesn't mention if the "16hp" is a stand alone or combo figure of the two. I'm guessing it's a stand alone as the 2 pieces aren't bundle priced together but I'm not sure?

Sorry for all the questions... just trying to follow the logic path and I'm a bit lost, lol.

Thanks,
Steve
I'm sure @PRL Motorsports will have more to add to this but here's what I've learned-
First, are you running any tuner? If not, you should be. You'll get more gains from a tune than any exhaust work.
If you are tuned, I 'think' you will be able to pick up some power because the CAT will either be gone or less restrictive and the turbo will be able to spin up faster. Beyond that, there just isn't enough fuel flow or capacity to flow air through the MAF to really see top end gains. The MAF is the reason the slope of the power curve makes its way to 0 starting halfway over the rev range.

Once tuned, the real value seems to be in how it affects the sound you get out of the car and the ability to reduce, even slightly, under-hood temps.

Check FlyinGato on Youtube -we did a video when running my car on a dyno. We talked to @D-RobIMW and laid out a good path to gains which is
1. high octane fuel!!! (91 minimum, 93 preferred)
2. Tuning solution (KTuner is what I have.)
3. Intercooler
4. Intake
5. Exhaust work.
We didn't really talk about this in the video but #1 and 2 from this list have the most immediate impact. #3 won't help you gain power but it will help with controlling your engine temperatures which may help you maintain power. #4 and #5 are just going to help you get the sound you like until the air delivery system is upgraded. This is in terms of peak power.

Let me know if anyone has had different experience-I could be misunderstanding something out there-

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
@17CivicTypeR_Brian when are you going to do water/meth injection? I have a shop thatā€™s willing to install and tune the kit for me but thatā€™s probably the last thing I want to do lol.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@17CivicTypeR_Brian when are you going to do water/meth injection? I have a shop thatā€™s willing to install and tune the kit for me but thatā€™s probably the last thing I want to do lol.
Hmm I don't know! Not sure how that interfaces with the KTuner or if it's just like a NOS kit that sprays at certain RPM or TPS readings. What do you do to control yours?

For me, I'm working on a method to get more fuel into the engine...hoping I can talk 'business' with PRL when I'm out there and see if they can fab/prototype what I have in mind. I'll be applying for a patent as soon as I can verify it's not already patented! lol.

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Hmm I don't know! Not sure how that interfaces with the KTuner or if it's just like a NOS kit that sprays at certain RPM or TPS readings. What do you do to control yours?

For me, I'm working on a method to get more fuel into the engine...hoping I can talk 'business' with PRL when I'm out there and see if they can fab/prototype what I have in mind. I'll be applying for a patent as soon as I can verify it's not already patented! lol.
I donā€™t have the kit yet, donā€™t know yet what Iā€™m going to do to control it, most likely have that shop do all the work for me.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I donā€™t have the kit yet, donā€™t know yet what Iā€™m going to do to control it, most likely have that shop do all the work for me.
Dig it. I'm curious to see how it turns out!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
The full turbo back and intercooler give significant gains over stock, we have tuned our car now with K-tuner and will be posting up some graphs soon. As far as fueling we, we are working on a full billet intake manifold with additional injectors and rail package, we will hopefully be releasing info on this with our turbo upgrade kit.

Our DP will work with a factory front pipe, the way we make and design our pipes allows for interchanging. We only changed the exhaust for the sound, we will have our car back on the dyno sometime next week with the DP only! Stock exhaust and front pipe will be back on the car.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The full turbo back and intercooler give significant gains over stock, we have tuned our car now with K-tuner and will be posting up some graphs soon. As far as fueling we, we are working on a full billet intake manifold with additional injectors and rail package, we will hopefully be releasing info on this with our turbo upgrade kit.

Our DP will work with a factory front pipe, the way we make and design our pipes allows for interchanging. We only changed the exhaust for the sound, we will have our car back on the dyno sometime next week with the DP only! Stock exhaust and front pipe will be back on the car.
I would be interested in seeing the DP & FP combo with the stock exhaust. That will be my setup

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would be interested in seeing the DP & FP combo with the stock exhaust. That will be my setup
Yep me too! With intercooler. :)

Vinsmoke

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Any update if the Downpipe with HFC threw any CELs? Debating if I should add the FabSpeed 02 spacer to my preorder.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
The full turbo back and intercooler give significant gains over stock, we have tuned our car now with K-tuner and will be posting up some graphs soon.
Any word on the graphs from this pull?

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag

• Will this intake manifold will have any feature for water meth?
  • Upgraded turbo kit will it be available before the end of the summer?
Thanks.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
  • Will this intake manifold will have any feature for water meth?
  • Upgraded turbo kit will it be available before the end of the summer?
Thanks.
-Intake manifold will be for additional Fuel Injectors which will require a split second box and tuning.
-Upgraded turbo kit... Hopefully by August.