PRL Motorsports Civic Type R Billet Front Mount Intercooler!

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Here are some things to be thankful for today...

We've decided to kick off our FK8 Available Here, so here are some installed pics! :thumbsup::headbang:

TypeRFrontMountonCar_zpsnl3j3tsl.jpg

FMICTypeRQuartershot_zpsrlxr9zs4.jpg

Now onto the technical stuff.

Our 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 intercooler upgrade features a dense 550 HP bar-and-plate intercooler core which increases surface area by 85% and internal flow by 83%. We designed this core for optimal efficiency size for a variety of power goals. Spool/response is actually increased with the factory turbocharger and there is still plenty of head room for future big power goals.

No cutting or trimming is required. FMIC bolts up to factory charge pipes and air guides.

Specs:
  • Power Rating: 550 HP
  • Core Size: 26.5" x 3.5" x 7.0"
  • Fin Style: Bar-and-Plate
  • End Tank Design: 5-Axis CNC'd Billet Aluminum
Endtankcomparison_zpsnxklydn8.jpg

Rearheightcomparison_zpsyuwbco5j.jpg

Topdownthicknesscomparison_zps9cjxnni0.jpg

Onto the comparison...

We were shocked with our first dyno pull, as there were major gains down low. In an attempt to rule out any error we put the hammer down for another dyno hit. Again, the graph showed the same characteristics as the first. This trend carried throughout the rest of our testing.

What did the logs say?

23848018_1494333097271020_421850656_o_zpsoj0asoxo.jpg

Each datalog from our dyno runs showed a 2-3 psi increase of boost until ~5,000 RPM with our intercooler, giving us an increased peak boost of 22.0 psi at ~3,600 RPM in comparison to our previous ~20 psi peak with the stock intercooler. This increased boost increased spool by 100 – 200 RPM, netting ~20 hp and ~50 ft/lbs tq gains during spool up. Increased boost also allowed us to pick up 11 ft/bs of torque by simply bolting this intercooler on. Peak horsepower showed a slight increase in the upper RPMs as well. Power gains will increase as power levels and peak boost are increased.

Let's not forget that our intercooler upgrade kit, like any intercooler kit, is not intended to be a bolt-on power-adder. The primary purpose of an intercooler upgrade is to reduce charge air temps with as little pressure drop as possible in an attempt to increase engine and turbocharger efficiency. This is exactly what our intercooler did.

We saw an average of a 4-5 degree temperature rise during dyno pulls with the stock intercooler. However, temperatures actually decreased during and after dyno pulls with our intercooler kit.

Stock Intercooler Temps:

Pre 118
Post 132

Pre 123
Post 136

Pre 113
Post 129

Pre 113
Post127

PRL Intercooler Temps

Pre 100
Post 87

Pre 107
Post 93

Pre 109
Post 91

Pre 100
Post 87

Our intercooler drastically dropped temps in comparison to the stock intercooler. This will allow cars to make better, more consistent power. With the stock intercooler we've recorded 11-14 degree temperature rises during pulls at the track and were into the low 120’s at the end of a pull on a 60 degree day for reference.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the typical install time? No lift, just a jack and jack stands. But don't include that, from the first bolt removed.

Vaders CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CLA 45 AMG & '22 Ariel Atom 4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also have the same questions, but I'm waiting on answers before I preorder. The results speak for themselves.

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
I also have the same questions, but I'm waiting on answers before I preorder. The results speak for themselves.

Yeah I would like to know the answer to these questions also before preordering. Especially the stencil question.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are these coming blank or with the PRL logo on them?
Yeah I would like to know the answer to these questions also before preordering. Especially the stencil question.
You have the option of choosing logo or no logo from the drop-down options. :)

How long is this preorder good for?
The pre-order sale will be good until orders begin shipping. We are aiming for the end of January.

What is the typical install time? No lift, just a jack and jack stands. But don't include that, from the first bolt removed.
3-5 hours depending on the person. It can be done comfortably in 3 hours if you are comfortable and familiar with the car, but the average customer should alot 5 hours of time.

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I was never able to select if I wanted the stencil as there was no drop down box when I ordered last week. Am I able to fix the order somehow?

You have the option of choosing logo or no logo from the drop-down options. :)

The pre-order sale will be good until orders begin shipping. We are aiming for the end of January.

3-5 hours depending on the person. It can be done comfortably in 3 hours if you are comfortable and familiar with the car, but the average customer should alot 5 hours of time.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was never able to select if I wanted the stencil as there was no drop down box when I ordered last week. Am I able to fix the order somehow?
Please message us your name or order number and your preference :)

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Looking good! I'll plan to stop by next time I'm heading out the turnpike!

flixman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R - Black
Country flag
will this cause any issues with the engine even though we don't have a tune yet? Also once we have the tune I'm assuming the new upgraded intercooler will help with making more power?

swift996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Panamera Turbo, Porsche Cayman, Porsche Macan S, Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Those end tanks are nicely machined. I'll be ordering after I get some miles on my car and want to mod.
Sponsored