CnoEVO

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2021 Cadillac Escalade
Country flag
I am in the process of getting ready to order the PRL Intercooler, and High Volume Intake. Deciding whether the charge pipes are a huge benefit or not to add? Car is my daily driver and I have Hondata right now. I live in AZ (91oct) and won't be getting flex fuel but I will get an etune once I pick an exhaust in the next couple months. Can you tell a difference with the charge pipes? Any feedback helps. Thank you
Sponsored

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
I am in the process of getting ready to order the PRL Intercooler, and High Volume Intake. Deciding whether the charge pipes are a huge benefit or not to add? Car is my daily driver and I have Hondata right now. I live in AZ (91oct) and won't be getting flex fuel but I will get an etune once I pick an exhaust in the next couple months. Can you tell a difference with the charge pipes? Any feedback helps. Thank you
Thanks for inquiring about our upgraded charge piping kit!! Our upgraded charge pipe kit utilizes smooth flowing, 26% larger inner diameter cold-side for increased airflow and factory diameter hot-side outlet to aid in turbocharger spool.
We utilize 4-ply silicone couplers throughout our design for a couple of reasons:
  1. Heat-soak reduction: Silicone hose offers extremely low thermal heat transfer properties, especially in comparison to steel or aluminum.
  2. Strength and rigidity: The rubber hoses used from the factory are known to experience expansion, which worsens as boost is increased. In time, the rubber construct weakens, causing increased likeliness of a boost leak. Also, we have managed to melt the factory rubber hose a handful of times during our track adventures on our shop car. Our high-temp, 4-ply silicone with handle the high temperatures of the turbocharger much better than the factory rubber hose(s).
  3. Smooth airflow: Custom molded silicone allows us to offer much higher flowing bends than we could with metal tubing.
  4. Optimal fitment: We have found that the factory rubbers hoses don't offer the most desirable fitment, especially when paired with an aftermarket radiator. Our silicone hose(s) offer even better fitment than factory.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Welp, I'm stuck again. Cant seem to get the double sided bolt off the big charge pipe. Any tips? Really dont wanna damage the threads on this.

I feel dumb for asking this.. but I'm supposed to turn it counter clockwise to loosen it like any other bolt, right?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Welp, I'm stuck again. Cant seem to get the double sided bolt off the big charge pipe. Any tips? Really dont wanna damage the threads on this.

I feel dumb for asking this.. but I'm supposed to turn it counter clockwise to loosen it like any other bolt, right?
what do you mean double bolt. Are you talking about the stud thats on the pipe that the sensor connects to?

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R #3166, '04 IS300, '01 Tacoma
Country flag

I’m installing my charge pipe kit right now and they include a small 10mm bolt to secure the sensor. No need to remove the double sided bolt. It unscrews counter clockwise though.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
what do you mean double bolt. Are you talking about the stud thats on the pipe that the sensor connects to?
Yeah, sorry, its late lol. The stud the sensor connects to, yes.

I got it off though by heating it up with a heatgun first. Thanks for always being quick to reply boosted.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Yeah, sorry, its late lol. The stud the sensor connects to, yes.

I got it off though by heating it up with a heatgun first. Thanks for always being quick to reply boosted.
ah that's good. The actual correct way to remove it is to lock 2 nuts together and loosen it like you would a bolt. Just like removing and installing an exhaust stud.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
ah that's good. The actual correct way to remove it is to lock 2 nuts together and loosen it like you would a bolt. Just like removing and installing an exhaust stud.
Yeah, I had remembered this technique too but couldn't find another nut... until I put my battery back in and realized there's two of them right there on the battery hold-down posts. :doh:

Just got everything hooked up - HVI, inlet pipe, and charge pipes. Holy SHIT it's loud. I was laughing in glee.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah, I had remembered this technique too but couldn't find another nut... until I put my battery back in and realized there's two of them right there on the battery hold-down posts. :doh:

Just got everything hooked up - HVI, inlet pipe, and charge pipes. Holy SHIT it's loud. I was laughing in glee.
The charge pipe makes the engine noise louder?

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag

This is half a month late, but it might help someone out there.

I too couldn't get the stud out of the OEM charge pipe. Rummaging through my bolts, I ended up with an M6 x 25mm bolt. But being picky about these things, I eventually changed it to an M6 x 30mm stud and used the stock nut.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
The standard double nut method worked for me. I tightened two nuts together firmly, and then turned the bottom one counterclockwise. The stud came out. Reversed it to put it into the PRL charge pipe.

Chi_The_Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Tips on this install:

- If you need another nut to remove the stud. (Double nut method). The battery holder nut is the same size.
- make sure double and triple check all hose clamps. The hot side is a little tougher to get it.