PRL Motorsports Civic Type R Billet Front Mount Intercooler!

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm not sure, but based on my experience with KTuner stage 1 on an otherwise stock car; the car definitely feels like it is pulling power at 110 degrees. The car feels completely back to normal when intake temps are below 80 degrees.

I plan on getting the PRL intercooler for use with the stock piping as I don't understand how metal piping could possibly be more heat resistant than the stock rubber.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
So I installed my intercooler along with a few other parts at the same time. Other parts are HKS intercooler piping, Ultimate Racing downpipe/frontpipe, catback. I had put Ktuner on a day or two prior, so don't have much of a baseline pre/post inercooler install to see the drop in temps. When looking at the OP, it seems my temps are higher than these. When sitting idle, my temps are >120. When moving, especially once accellerating a bit, my temps are between 100-110.

A few questions:

1. Is it possible, and would it be normal, that heat from the downpipe/frontpipe (wrapped in titanium heat wrap) cause an increase in IAT temps?
  2. Is measuring the IAT temps via Ktuner the appropriate data point for temps?
  3. Is it possible the HKS intercooler piping is the culprit here? Is anyone using this combination seeing better results? Wondering if the stock rubber coupling keeps air cooler vs. the HKS coupling...
  4. Are my temps (105-110) low enough to ensure the ECU doesn't scale back power?
Thanks in advance and apologies if these are noob questions.
Two things to note here are the fact that the factory rubber/plastic components will keep things a bit cooler due to thermal heat properties in comparison to aluminum. The main factor here, though, is the fact that you are measuring idle and low speed temps. You will notice MUCH lower temps at higher moving speeds due to the larger amount of air passing through the fins at higher speeds. Also, will see greater temp reduction at higher boost levels and increased throttle percentages like WOT due to the fact air is traveling through the intercooler faster.

Gforce81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Two things to note here are the fact that the factory rubber/plastic components will keep things a bit cooler due to thermal heat properties in comparison to aluminum. The main factor here, though, is the fact that you are measuring idle and low speed temps. You will notice MUCH lower temps at higher moving speeds due to the larger amount of air passing through the fins at higher speeds. Also, will see greater temp reduction at higher boost levels and increased throttle percentages like WOT due to the fact air is traveling through the intercooler faster.
That makes complete sense and have noticed that in monitoring as well. I guess where I was getting at was when looking at your data points, were those on a dyno or on the street? I was assuming they were on a dyno and therefore the car wasn't actually moving and was curious how they were so low. If I'm interpreting your answer correctly, part of that is due to air moving through the intercooler faster even though the car isn't actually moving.

Am I following it correctly now? Any opinions you have on the HKS piping? If stock is better, I might take them off and revert back...

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
even if you are not "moving" on a dyno, there are usually fans, where as you wouldn't have any stopped at idle.

ctr_no650

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ctr, 2014 Chevy Sonic LTZ, 1990 rover mini
Country flag
PRL throwing in some of the tech knowledge haha nice

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ourselves along with many vendors have our intercoolers on sale! Our special black friday sale ends tonight and are in stock...
*GRP is the only vendor with black in stock and on sale!

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
I'm not sure, but based on my experience with KTuner stage 1 on an otherwise stock car; the car definitely feels like it is pulling power at 110 degrees. The car feels completely back to normal when intake temps are below 80 degrees.

I plan on getting the PRL intercooler for use with the stock piping as I don't understand how metal piping could possibly be more heat resistant than the stock rubber.
It is. IAT2 above 110F will cause major timing pulls. Caused me to go from 330whp to 296whp.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you ordered a FMIC they are in stock, however we ran out of packaging! Orders are delayed about 4 days while our local packaging manufacture pumps out more Foam!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you get the Black anodized back in stock?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We have 8 out at our local anodizer right now, they will be back and shipping next week (dec 5th)
Awesome! I can't believe how popular the black anodized were! Definitely a surprise.

toyrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 HR-V, 1995 Toyota Supra TT, 94 K_Del Sol, 94 K20 Turbo EG, 2000 Honda Insight
Country flag
We have 8 out at our local anodizer right now, they will be back and shipping next week (dec 5th)
Any way I can still get the 10% the FMIC?
Sponsored