9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport - 6 Speed
Country flag
Hey guys, so I haven't read everything. But has everyone installed one like that for the SI 2017 model or similar. I ordered one but had to return it because so many plugs were missing. I suppose it is because of the high-end speaker system in the car. Can you please advise ? Thanks
I have a 2018 and it had the simple 5" radio, so I can't be of much help here.....someone who owned a vehicle with the touch screen will have to chime in....there were a few guys that did that....maybe Naldy.
Sponsored

RBZIC

First Name
RAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI 2017
Country flag
I have a 2018 and it had the simple 5" radio, so I can't be of much help here.....someone who owned a vehicle with the touch screen will have to chime in....there were a few guys that did that....maybe Naldy.
Oh thanks so much for the reply, I'll wait for someone with my kind of unit to answer then !

runner001

First Name
Gee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX, 2011 Odyssey
Country flag
Hello members. I got the m500 in the mail today and did my best to install it into my 2018 Civic LX. I thought it was somewhat simple. I connected all the harnesses that obviously fit together.

I was hoping I did everything right but wasn't too surprised when the backup camera didn't come on the screen when I put the car in reverse.

The unit couldn't get the steering wheel didn't respond either. The steering wheel mapping setting on the unit didn't seem to recognize any buttons on the steering wheel.

Calls work, WiFi works, my thumb drive is visible when I plugged it into the unit's USB port.

Since this is a unit at least some of you have installed, I'm hoping there's some common errors that I made that one of you can help me with. I can include some pics of that's necessary or world make helping me easier. (I didn't think to take any before I pushed it into place.)

Thank you.

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hello members. I got the m500 in the mail today and did my best to install it into my 2018 Civic LX. I thought it was somewhat simple. I connected all the harnesses that obviously fit together.

I was hoping I did everything right but wasn't too surprised when the backup camera didn't come on the screen when I put the car in reverse.

The unit couldn't get the steering wheel didn't respond either. The steering wheel mapping setting on the unit didn't seem to recognize any buttons on the steering wheel.

Calls work, WiFi works, my thumb drive is visible when I plugged it into the unit's USB port.

Since this is a unit at least some of you have installed, I'm hoping there's some common errors that I made that one of you can help me with. I can include some pics of that's necessary or world make helping me easier. (I didn't think to take any before I pushed it into place.)

Thank you.
1. Search Naldy's posts. It shows how to set the car type to...I believe he used Crider....anyway he shows how to do that. Make sure you have the CAN bus box plugged into it radio cable.
2. Search my posts for Reverse Cam in this thread....I posted it again a few pages back. I assume u have a Manual 6 speed like mine....if so u need to run one wire and use T-tap connecters on both ends. I show the parts and the connection.
If u can't find both of these fixes then reply back and I will search for u.

runner001

First Name
Gee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Naldy,
caldersm44
Just added a switch (old school but $1.65 so when I do put the car away for two weeks and drive the slk I just turn off the canbus via switch. Just placed it back to the yellow wire but placed a switch between. It is definitely working as once I hit the switch steering controls are gone.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bend...rds=mini+on+off+switch&qid=1613867058&sr=8-29

1498BBED-8977-476D-A23D-D12806D4E23F.jpeg
Just added a switch (old school but $1.65 so when I do put the car away for two weeks and drive the slk I just turn off the canbus via switch. Just placed it back to the yellow wire but placed a switch between. It is definitely working as once I hit the switch steering controls are gone.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bend...rds=mini+on+off+switch&qid=1613867058&sr=8-29

1498BBED-8977-476D-A23D-D12806D4E23F.jpeg
So this is instead of the timer solution and your previous solution as well? Did you just install the switch between the yellow wire coming from the canbus?

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Naldy,
caldersm44

So this is instead of the timer solution and your previous solution as well? Did you just install the switch between the yellow wire coming from the canbus?
That's not me. That's CivicX and his way to not drain the battery when the car sat for multiple weeks without being started. I came up with a timer solution that I did not implement because I use my car every day and so I don't worry about 2 week battery drain. Your issue was no communication to the steering wheel buttons.

1. For your issue with the canbus....you need to make sure you do the right settings for the radio to the canbus. This is under Other Settings or Car Settings. Below is Nadly's fix for his canbus unit not talking correctly. Mine works with the Civic Setting.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ature-overview-installation.17034/post-910239

2. For your reverse issue you want to do this:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ature-overview-installation.17034/post-908859

runner001

First Name
Gee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's not me. That's CivicX and his way to not drain the battery when the car sat for multiple weeks without being started. I came up with a timer solution that I did not implement because I use my car every day and so I don't worry about 2 week battery drain. Your issue was no communication to the steering wheel buttons.

1. For your issue with the canbus....you need to make sure you do the right settings for the radio to the canbus. This is under Other Settings or Car Settings. Below is Nadly's fix for his canbus unit not talking correctly. Mine works with the Civic Setting.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ature-overview-installation.17034/post-910239

2. For your reverse issue you want to do this:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ature-overview-installation.17034/post-908859
So sorry. I knew it was CivicX that posted the message I quoted. I read this thread from somewhere in the 60's page to the 90's page. The names started to mix in my head for a minute. His post had me concerned that I would need to do something similar. So my question is if that solution is the one that would prevent possible battery drain.

It's raining today so I won't get the chance to try any of these solutions.

I didn't mention earlier that this is going into my 2018 Honda Civic LX Sedan with Automatic Transmission. Caldersm44, I think the post you are referencing is for a manual transmission, right?

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So sorry. I knew it was CivicX that posted the message I quoted. I read this thread from somewhere in the 60's page to the 90's page. The names started to mix in my head for a minute. His post had me concerned that I would need to do something similar. So my question is if that solution is the one that would prevent possible battery drain.

It's raining today so I won't get the chance to try any of these solutions.

I didn't mention earlier that this is going into my 2018 Honda Civic LX Sedan with Automatic Transmission. Caldersm44, I think the post you are referencing is for a manual transmission, right?
Oh...yes for a manual. Just do the Naldy post and that will fix both issues. You can do that with the crider car selection

runner001

First Name
Gee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got the reverse camera to come on when I put the car in reverse. One problem solved!

Still need to fix the radio antenna situation and the steering wheel functions and my phone keeps "looking for Android auto" but never finds anything.

And the little robot avatar constantly on the screen is annoying.

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 20210608_184215

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 20210608_184952

Last edited:

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got the reverse camera to come on when I put the car in reverse. One problem solved!

Still need to fix the radio antenna situation and the steering wheel functions and my phone keeps "looking for Android auto" but never finds anything.

And the little robot avatar constantly on the screen is annoying.

20210608_184215.jpg

20210608_184952.jpg
I have an iPhone so I don't have those issues. What's your antenna issue because I had one that I fixed

runner001

First Name
Gee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I believe the issue is that the connection from the car does not fit with the supplied adapter by the manufacturerer.

I can pick up some stations while stationary but barely anything while driving.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

runner001

First Name
Gee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm gonna try jtrader's solution later this evening and report back.

I had a thought today to connect my phone via charging cable to one of the USB ports from the unit instead of the cigarette lighter. The radio recognized the phone and Android Auto got connected. I thought we had a wireless option?

One by one, the issues are getting closer to being resolved. Seems my final issue (that I know of right now) is getting the steering wheel buttons to function.

Caldersm44, the link you gave to naldy's post, I don't quite understand it. I think I selected the Honda Civic in the pic I previously shared. Is that what naldy's post was telling me to do?

When I go to the steering wheel mapping app on the unit, it doesn't register any buttons when I press them on the steering wheel.

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm gonna try jtrader's solution later this evening and report back.

I had a thought today to connect my phone via charging cable to one of the USB ports from the unit instead of the cigarette lighter. The radio recognized the phone and Android Auto got connected. I thought we had a wireless option?

One by one, the issues are getting closer to being resolved. Seems my final issue (that I know of right now) is getting the steering wheel buttons to function.

Caldersm44, the link you gave to naldy's post, I don't quite understand it. I think I selected the Honda Civic in the pic I previously shared. Is that what naldy's post was telling me to do?

When I go to the steering wheel mapping app on the unit, it doesn't register any buttons when I press them on the steering wheel.
I have a manual transmission with an M400 radio.....he had an automatic with a PX6 processor radio. He had to set his radio up, not as Civic, but as "Crider"....have no idea what that is.....and I am not sure you have that setting in that newer version of the radio. Scroll down past the accords and city and see if that is there. If not....I recommend you try them all, one at a time.....I know that sucks....but the issue is that radio CANBUS needs to recognize the car....and so you have to find out what to put there. You might drop an email off to the vendor.

For the antenna, you can follow Jtrader's great write-up. I just connected 12vdc from ACC wire to the black antenna wire that takes power to the car's antenna amplifier. I used a T-tap connector on both ends.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ature-overview-installation.17034/post-908068

runner001

First Name
Gee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, so the screen to select "crider" is there. There's also a lot of "CAN box type" to choose.

1) What kind of confirmation would I notice if it worked?

2) does it need to be connected to the internet when I select each one? Does it need time to download a new file or anything?

I've been selecting a vehicle, then switching to the steering wheel config screen and seeing if I can get it to let me program a button. It's connected via hotspot to my phone the whole time.

3) what kind of response does the unit give to confirm it recognizes your attempt at remapping a steering wheel button?
Sponsored