frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
- After you’re all done cleaning the car, wash the microfiber mitt with care. Use water pouring INSIDE the mitt, forcing dirt to be pushed outward from the fibers (make sense?); this is the opposite of how dirt accumulates on the mitt.
All my wash and detail cloths/mitts go right to the laundry and are hang dried afterwards before ever touching a car again. I also keep them in a rubbermaid box so that crap doesn't get on them while they wait for use again.
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All my wash and detail cloths/mitts go right to the laundry and are hang dried afterwards before ever touching a car again. I also keep them in a rubbermaid box so that crap doesn't get on them while they wait for use again.
:D Yeah, I even handwash my handwashing mitt! But, yeah, after my microfiber towels are cleaned, I also keep them sealed up, ready for the next time.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Try to touch the car as little as possible.
Pressure washer
Foam cannon
VERY high quality mit to wipe softly
Rinse
Dry with air blower.

As far as products go, I use CarPro shampoo, Sonax window cleaner, and Wolfgang/Pinnacle interior cleaner for any stains but mostly I just wipe down with a damp microfiber towel (get high quality towels).

Use 2 bucket system and wash wheels last. You don't want any brake dust and crap from the wheels getting into the bucket and possibly onto the mit.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I got the bucket kit from Chemical Guys off amazon. And liked it so much I keep ordering their soap and quick wipe stuff. Wheel cleaner is great too. Only paint flaw so far is a rock chip right under my fog lights.

OP
OP
godsmacksully

godsmacksully

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R, Ford Focus, Honda CBR500
Country flag
Why dont you tell us a little bit more of your situation, do you rent or own a house with a garage? Do you have access to a garage where you can store stuff? Why not wash your car yourself if you have access to storage. Automated and do it yourself car washes suck. They all use High Ph soaps and chemicals and your car will eventually be ruined through the use of them. Are you good with power tools, what is your financial situation, can you afford the higher end/quality tools needed to care for your car correctly? Let us know can then we can advise on what to get what not to get, what to do what not to do based on your information.
I could afford more before this car payment but yes, i would be willing to invest in my own tools. i just dont know how to do it, I'd hafta have someone show me. yup i have access to a garage and storage

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I could afford more before this car payment but yes, i would be willing to invest in my own tools. i just dont know how to do it, I'd hafta have someone show me. yup i have access to a garage and storage
Ok knowing that let me write up my thoughts on one way you can go about learning the correct methodical way of cleaning and caring for a car...brb

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok knowing that let me write up my thoughts on one way you can go about learning the correct methodical way of cleaning and caring for a car...brb
First step you will want to look at is getting a power washer, gasoline or electric with a flow rate of at least 2.o GPM Gallons per minute. This will allow you the ability to attach Foam Canons like at MTM PF22 Foam Cannon. While your at it get yourself a MTM SGS28 Gun and replace the pressue washer handle your power washer comes with. World of difference and it very well made and makes using the foam cannon a lot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q4ZQFFN/ also included in this link is the snow foam. As for me I use this soap, extremely foamy and it is Ph Neutral, more on that later.

Back to pressure washers, if you go with a gasoline powered one the fittings and adapters are pretty universal, everything usually fits to them, as for electric ones, they tend to use proprietary fittings so you may have to get adapters and step up or step down adapters to attach devices to them which can be a major pain in the ass. If you can take the noise of a engine get a gas powered one 2.0 GPM with a psi rating of 2000 – 3000 psi output.

Second step: Soaps.. you want a soap that is Ph Neutral. A Ph Neutral soap will clean your car while at the same time not degrade and coatings you may have on your car like wax or sealants. Look at snow foams from Chemical Guys and or Griots Garage for now, buy in the Gallon containers to save $

Third Step: Washing… I personally use a one bucket method, I personally think a two bucket method is a waste of water. Get a 5 Gal bucket from Home Depot, get a Grit guard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKCLBQY/ this one is really good. After you have the power washer connected and your cannon with water and soap connected rinse the vehicle down first, this will knock off the larger particles of dirt off first. After the rinse foam the car up and let that sit on the car for 5+ min then rinse again. This is a pre wash to loosen up further dirt that will further wash away when you rinse the car. Next, reapply the snow foam and with water, grit guard in bucket get your wash mitt in hand https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-MIC_493-Microfiber-Scratch-Free/dp/B003TTL0TE/

Start from the roof and wipe down to the front or back of the car in straight lines, go in one direction only, not in circular motions very bad! When your done with one pass go up in the other direction or lift the mitt and repeat. Done with the roof and hood or trunk, rinse your mitt and start with the upper part of your doors and again wash in straight lines. Essentially divide your car in half, the upper part will typically be less dirty then the bottom half from your doors and rocker panels. Wash the upper half rinsing your mitt periodically. When you reach the lower half of the car your going to want to rinse your mitt more frequently and or every section. Start watching this guy for more info on the technique:

Fourth Step: Wheels… Get some wheel woolys and I use Purple Power, pretty self-explanatory. I do the wheels first then wash the car. Get yourself Nitrate gloves, one step larger than your hand size so when your hands are wet they are still easy to put on. Protect your skin from these chemicals.

I follow these channels on you tube, a wealth of information, start watching how they are doing it and perfect the way you do your routine. My car is a little over a year old, no scratches that I can see.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3W4jRH8JVqnBDE4Wo8KdAg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVlOAVbs8QbHMmKdVWTleaQ

https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZOhpSAihtUBnebhY_ro_Q

Once you have your car polished again and clean you may want to look at protecting it with either a Si02 sealant or a ceramic coating. The one I have on mine is by Dallas Paint Correction called DPC Shield, a DIY installion, typically takes two days to apply but gives you 2 years worth of protection, Look into it.

This should be a good starting point, watch the videos there is a Ton of good information in those videos.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Z06Chris and CivicScott speak the truth. I wash using these methods with a few variations and it’s been great. It takes a little bit of time to watch youtube videos to get up to speed and buy the right gear.

But once you’ve done it once it’s a piece of cake (and fun).

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Z06Chris and CivicScott speak the truth. I wash using these methods with a few variations and it’s been great. It takes a little bit of time to watch youtube videos to get up to speed and buy the right gear.

But once you’ve done it once it’s a piece of cake (and fun).
I forgot how to dry let me work on that.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I forgot how to dry let me work on that.
Drying car: Two methods, first is to use a cloth which means touching the car, go with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-MIC_721-Absorber-Microfiber/dp/B001TZBQ0S?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Very soft, wont typically scratch unless there are foreign objects stuck to it line leaves, wood splinter objects, dirt.

The other way, the way I dry my car is with a leaf blower. Leaf blowers are a dime a dozen but you want to look for something that blows a lot of air…fast (CFM) Cubic Feet per Minute. The only one is made by Worx, its electric, 600 CFM and costs about $50.00 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/WORX-WG520-Turbine-Electric-Blower/dp/B01B79BD6C/

This thing is very light weight, will blow water off panels and out of seams very quickly and will not scratch your paint. Thing is freakin awesome.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thanks so much you guys!!!
You inspired me to wash my car tonight, so here are some photos to go along with what the guys are saying. Be sure to watch those youtube videos.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 73567011-828F-4F94-932A-079A91EA8B98

Start with a pressure washer of some type. As mentioned a machine capable of 2.0 gpm or greater is preferred. A Kobrajet hose makes it nicer because it doesn’t kink or get twisted but not necessary.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? DA18B3C7-0210-40FA-B309-EC3D98444319

This is the SGS28 gun that was mentioned. I use it with a 25 degree green spray nozzle. Anything less (like a 0 degree) may damage your paint.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 28FB87EA-777C-4D57-9E05-9D5409E4254E

After you prime the hose (make sure all air is out) connect the gun and rinse the car. Most of the dirt will fall off the car.. but some stuff like bird droppings stick. Keep the nozzle a couple feet away from the car to not damage the paint.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 3B652A50-5B3B-49C2-9D72-B13814DF1D15

I like to spray the brake pads really good. Since I’ve been doing this on a regular basis, no more rock or brake dust squeal.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? E12D1CCA-BD98-407D-8139-9A8C34F2D802

Spray the wheels with wheel cleaner of your choice.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? CA2C85AC-00F9-4678-858C-67FAD865E850

Then use a wheel brush. CTRmofo turned me onto these Woolies. They work fantastic. Wear safety glasses so the chemical doesn’t splash in your eye... scrub everything real well then rinse.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 890ED2A6-33A5-40DC-9038-2054351A9AB5

Connect your foam cannon to the SGS gun, filled with car shampoo of your choice. Diluted to instructions and safe for ceramic coatings. No wax content.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 0543EB01-CBD3-45A6-9BA5-96AEDC8230C8

I use this stuff.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 30E54ADD-9223-4E0C-A107-AA3E20358515

Spray your car with the foam cannon.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 3081875F-2FF0-409F-9D8E-30DAB85F422C

Then let the shampoo sit for a little while.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 117DBD46-3C06-4438-9D5D-188203C17894

Now handwash using a safe microfiber washmitt. Doesn’t take much effort. After several passes, rinse the mitt in (2) clean buckets filled with water.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 14E0BEC4-4379-4B05-A4A2-5E43A9411118

Then rinse off the shampoo.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? C7B05D6F-4BE0-4910-9AA5-BD2286E32CF7

Can use a leaf blower here to blast off the excess water...then use a microfiber towel to dry off the car. I use (2) of these per wash, without a blower.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 6D17AED1-8434-4438-8421-DD0781E58FFE

No swirls.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 015C4582-F2BC-4228-ADB9-BACA06992F70

Done. Takes about 30-45 mins solo. Ez peezee ;)

Last edited:

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? 4DE096DF-5B1D-453E-AA11-BDCBB1C3E1E0
Thank you @TypeSiR and Civic_Scott for the Worx blower recommendation!!

Just got it. Holy cow this blower “blows” our old battery powered DeWalt out of the water.. Power is insane and really like that it has several power settings.. also like it uses an extension cord and is not battery powered.

Man I’m tempted to wash the car again to see how well it blasts water off the car.

Had $25 in amazon prime rewards points so it came out to something like $25 total. Amazing deal. Thanks again for the tip!

Hose off. Blow dry with this:

WORX WG520 Turbine 600 Electric Leaf Blower, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B79BD6C/
Sponsored

Last edited: