godsmacksully

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R, Ford Focus, Honda CBR500
Country flag
So I know this is the worst paint ever. So there's no way that I would allow this car to be run through an automated car wash. So the shop guy sent me pictures throughout to prove to me that he was washing it by hand. But all of the swirls and light scratches are back, worse than before. My car looks like absolute shit all over again. He said he used a mitt that was safe for ceramic coating. So if washing it by hand did that much damage, how the hell am I supposed to wash it?!
Sponsored

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
My car looks like absolute shit all over again. He said he used a mitt that was safe for ceramic coating.
I don't believe him. I only wash by hand starting this spring and use a microfiber finger mitt and have not added at all to the scratches that lead me to stop using even a brush at the car wash.

What sucks is that if the swirl is that bad, you will want it buffed or polished and that removes material. A tiny amount sure but still removes it. How old is your car? I haven't taken the DA buffer to mine yet and am waiting till the spring to chase all the scratches or swirl out as I want a near 3 years before I start reducing the thickness of the clear coat. And note that I bought a black Civic so I know this all comes with the territory and that even after washing a black car, it is already dirty! LOL!

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your car is leaving a detailer with swirls and scratches, I'd find another detailer, imho.

OP
OP
godsmacksully

godsmacksully

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't believe him. I only wash by hand starting this spring and use a microfiber finger mitt and have not added at all to the scratches that lead me to stop using even a brush at the car wash.

What sucks is that if the swirl is that bad, you will want it buffed or polished and that removes material. A tiny amount sure but still removes it. How old is your car? I haven't taken the DA buffer to mine yet and am waiting till the spring to chase all the scratches or swirl out as I want a near 3 years before I start reducing the thickness of the clear coat. And note that I bought a black Civic so I know this all comes with the territory and that even after washing a black car, it is already dirty! LOL!
1 month old

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended washing technique? Resized_20190925_132336

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it was the dealership. So I won't be sticking with them. idk who to trust anymore
Ugh, that sucks. Surely there's a reputable detailer in your area that can fix the damage. Good luck.

OP
OP
godsmacksully

godsmacksully

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ugh, that sucks. Surely there's a reputable detailer in your area that can fix the damage. Good luck.
I hope so. I'll find one. But I already paid for it to be paint corrected once when I first got it. And I've only driven the thing for 2 weeks! So I'm not willing to pay someone again!

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hope so. I'll find one. But I already paid for it to be paint corrected once when I first got it. And I've only driven the thing for 2 weeks! So I'm not willing to pay someone again!
I think this is like a lesson learned. Get it corrected (again) and enjoy the ride.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1 month old
Holy balls! That sucks!

I would try to raise some kind of fuss to get satisfaction but ya, Not too sure how far to suggest you go on your own dime. I see you aren't too far from Chi-town. Perhaps you could go to the detailing shop that Savage Geese did a video on: https://www.chicagoautopros.com/

Get it all cleaned up and protected and then ask them if they know anyone that is near you that could do maintenance washes and were trustworthy.

OP
OP
godsmacksully

godsmacksully

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think this is like a lesson learned. Get it corrected (again) and enjoy the ride.
But lesson not learned quite yet, as I still don't know how I should take care of it! I would totally just stick with the do it yourself power washer but it doesn't get everything clean and it leaves fucking water spots. That's another thing I struggle with D:

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But lesson not learned quite yet, as I still don't know how I should take care of it! I would totally just stick with the do it yourself power washer but it doesn't get everything clean and it leaves fucking water spots. That's another thing I struggle with D:
If it were me, I'd find a reputable detailer to fix the swirls and scratches. After that, If you're going to wash it yourself I'd recommend watching some vids by the Car Cleaning Guru or Pan the Organizer - those guys are, imho, awesome at car detailing and have lots of good advice and technique.

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I know this is the worst paint ever. So there's no way that I would allow this car to be run through an automated car wash. So the shop guy sent me pictures throughout to prove to me that he was washing it by hand. But all of the swirls and light scratches are back, worse than before. My car looks like absolute shit all over again. He said he used a mitt that was safe for ceramic coating. So if washing it by hand did that much damage, how the hell am I supposed to wash it?!
Why dont you tell us a little bit more of your situation, do you rent or own a house with a garage? Do you have access to a garage where you can store stuff? Why not wash your car yourself if you have access to storage. Automated and do it yourself car washes suck. They all use High Ph soaps and chemicals and your car will eventually be ruined through the use of them. Are you good with power tools, what is your financial situation, can you afford the higher end/quality tools needed to care for your car correctly? Let us know can then we can advise on what to get what not to get, what to do what not to do based on your information.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"If you want something done right, do it yourself" Adopt this quote into your life and not only will you save money, you will gain skills and knowledge that will spill over into everything else in your life.

Few basics of washing a car without scratching it:
-First, make sure you have a lubricant on the car before you start rubbing on it. Soap is the lubricant that keeps the dirt from scratching your car when you wash it off. If you don't use enough soap, you'll be scratching.

-Use two buckets. One bucket full of soap and one full of water. After wiping your car down with your sponge, wring it out several time into the water bucket before going to the soap bucket. Never go from dirty car > soap bucket > car. You'll have dirt in the sponge and will scratch the paint.

-You complained about water spots. Sometimes the quality of your water can't be avoided, but spots won't happen unless the water dries on the car. Keep the car wet when rinsing. Just before drying, mist the entire car with water to prevent it from evaporating. I like to use a squeegee to get excess water off, then hit it with a towel quickly.

-Spray wax/detailer is your best friend. After a wash, grab a microfiber and use a spray wax over the entire car. This will help remove any waterspots and help protect the paint between washes. This shouldn't be a replacement for a good paste wax. You should always wax your car at least twice a year.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"If you want something done right, do it yourself" Adopt this quote into your life and not only will you save money, you will gain skills and knowledge that will spill over into everything else in your life.

Few basics of washing a car without scratching it:
-First, make sure you have a lubricant on the car before you start rubbing on it. Soap is the lubricant that keeps the dirt from scratching your car when you wash it off. If you don't use enough soap, you'll be scratching.

-Use two buckets. One bucket full of soap and one full of water. After wiping your car down with your sponge, wring it out several time into the water bucket before going to the soap bucket. Never go from dirty car > soap bucket > car. You'll have dirt in the sponge and will scratch the paint.

-You complained about water spots. Sometimes the quality of your water can't be avoided, but spots won't happen unless the water dries on the car. Keep the car wet when rinsing. Just before drying, mist the entire car with water to prevent it from evaporating. I like to use a squeegee to get excess water off, then hit it with a towel quickly.

-Spray wax/detailer is your best friend. After a wash, grab a microfiber and use a spray wax over the entire car. This will help remove any waterspots and help protect the paint between washes. This shouldn't be a replacement for a good paste wax. You should always wax your car at least twice a year.
All great tips! This is the way to go.

Personally, I would add:
- Always remember the Order of Operations: Top-Down washing, roof is first, lowest valences are second-to-last, wheels are last.
- I go to a wash booth (you know, the public car wash places with many booths) to use the pressure washer (NEVER USE THE BRUSH! It’s just as bad as going through a gas station washer), but even then, I start pressure-washing lightly, top-down. Even the pressure of the water could force dust and dirt to scratch the paint. So, start light and easy, get most of the dirt off first, then go just a bit closer to the paint (even then, I keep the nozzle about one foot away from the paint), and get the details.
- For bugs, which can stick like glue, I find dousing the car with the pressure washer first, and going over the car while giving the water some time to dissolve the bug guts, helps immensely with easing removing bugs. In this way, you’ll spend less time, and may not have to scrub as hard.
- After the pressure washer, use the dual bucket method with a microfiber mitt.
- Immediately dry the car to the best of your ability right after the final rinse. This is super-important for the prevention of water spots.
- After you’re all done cleaning the car, wash the microfiber mitt with care. Use water pouring INSIDE the mitt, forcing dirt to be pushed outward from the fibers (make sense?); this is the opposite of how dirt accumulates on the mitt.

Good luck! Sorry to hear about your troubles, but we feel your pain, and support you!
Sponsored

Last edited: