First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is rather difficult to eat a taco, text, and shift while driving a manual. Thank God for Apple CarPlay!

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
When I lived Long Island all my cars were auto I’ve driven manuals ( friends, & work vehicles) do to a lot of traffic and hills automatic transmission is the best in those conditions ( I think) when I moved to Florida less traffic and completely flat I said my next car will have a manual. Do to a work related incident I broke my left knee after recovery I thought it was ok but when I test drove a Civic SI I shifted from 3rd to 4th my knee gave out good thing it was on a back road . So I settled for a Ext with a Cvt

OP
OP
DRuby

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
When I lived Long Island all my cars were auto I’ve driven manuals ( friends, & work vehicles) do to a lot of traffic and hills automatic transmission is the best in those conditions ( I think) when I moved to Florida less traffic and completely flat I said my next car will have a manual. Do to a work related incident I broke my left knee after recovery I thought it was ok but when I test drove a Civic SI I shifted from 3rd to 4th my knee gave out good thing it was on a back road . So I settled for a Ext with a Cvt
Ouch! Ext is nice. MT isn't a gold standard, just another way to drive. Feel good. Thanks for reading.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I drove stick shift cars for over 25 years. There's no question they are more engaging than an automatic. And I kind of get the authors point about a manual keeping your head "more in the game". But, even though my Civic has a CVT, I'm very hands on and alert. I live in the area with the worst drivers in America, so I have to stay 100% alert!

SaintClarence27

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I drove stick shift cars for over 25 years. There's no question they are more engaging than an automatic. And I kind of get the authors point about a manual keeping your head "more in the game". But, even though my Civic has a CVT, I'm very hands on and alert. I live in the area with the worst drivers in America, so I have to stay 100% alert!
I was going to ask where you think has the worst drivers on earth, and then I saw your profile says you live in Maryland. I thought "yeah, that checks out."

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From the article:
During normal driving, our brains are in a near-constant state of vigilance.
Yeah, that's definitely not true for most of the population. People just completely lack responsibility for their actions on the road - sometimes they lack self-preservation as well - and having to shift gears would do little to increase their brain activity. The author himself can't even keep his wife's car safe from a mailbox without being beeped at, and he apparently drives a manual on the regular.

I'll drive manuals until emissions standards cause ICEs to be outlawed from the road, but I don't think for a second that auto transmissions have any blame in this situation.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Allstate did a study where Baltimore drivers were rated the worst and DC drivers were third worst.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Both my kids have said they like a manual for just this reason. Great article.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have ADHD, and since I switched to a stick shift a year ago I have noticed a very large uptick in attentiveness when driving. I never used my phone while driving to start with, but I sure wish a lot of other drivers would put their damn phone down when moving.

Here’s to the manual transmission!
Sponsored