Status
Not open for further replies.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Which is why we do UOAs and contaminant analysis. Which brings us back to Square 1. Let's review:

1. The 1.5T has favorable UOAs with 0W-20.
2. Properly weighted oil is required under certain warranty conditions.
3. Heavier weighted oil flows less efficiently in colder climates and is more prone to cold start failure.
4. For sensible protection, switch to synth first. Then evaluate.

This thread is done.
Sponsored

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Yeah... nothing like having engine problems (even if it's not related to the oil in any way) and trying to explain to your Dealer why they shouldn't void your powertrain warranty. I'd understand using a different oil in maybe a 20 year old car, but come on. Only a fool would choose something other than what is allowed and specified in the manual. if it tells you to put fairy dust with every oil change, then you should do that. If it tells you to stand on one foot while changing your oil, then that is what you should do. Doing anything other than that during the warranty period is just asking for trouble.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
WRX and STI call for 5w30 and will generally break down to 5w20 after a few thousand miles. If the upcoming CTR calls for 0w20, will it break down to 0w10? Are Euro oils more robust?

Just find it pretty odd that a high HP small displacement motor would call for 0w20. The RS requires 5w50.
WRX, STI, CTR ? Whatever they are. I thought this discussion was about oil for the '16 Honda Civic. The right oil viscosity is clearly specified. What part of 0W-20 don't you understand ?

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Cars... Clearly...

What part of he's working on his own car and not yours don't you understand?
He didn't say and I did think this was a forum about the oil used in Honda Civics or Hondas in any case. I may be showing my ignorance, but what exactly are WRX, STI and CTR , and how should any of that relate to Civics ?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
He didn't say and I did think this was a forum about the oil used in Honda Civics or Hondas in any case. I may be showing my ignorance, but what exactly are WRX, STI and CTR , and how should any of that relate to Civics ?
The WRX and STI are variants of the Subrau Impreza - with lineage from rallycross, they're popular amongst the tuner crowd. Far more in the high performance category than our econobox Civics.

STI has 300+ hp from a turbo 4-cylinder boxer, and is generally regarded as a direct competitor to the CTR (Civic Type R). Apart from the AWD they are similar size, engines, etc.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
The WRX and STI are variants of the Subrau Impreza - with lineage from rallycross, they're popular amongst the tuner crowd. Far more in the high performance category than our econobox Civics.

STI has 300+ hp from a turbo 4-cylinder boxer, and is generally regarded as a direct competitor to the CTR (Civic Type R). Apart from the AWD they are similar size, engines, etc.
Well then they're hardly the same engine so what's the point ?

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CTR aka Civic Type R, probably has at least something to do with our civics. And this thread is about the OP's results with his heavier oil, in which I am quite interested. If your desire is to raise awareness of the owner's manual contents I suggest you start a thread for that.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Stick to what the manufacturer recommends and you won't have your warranty denied. It's that easy.

Will putting 5w30 provide better protection for the engine in the long run? Possibly. The engine should also easily outlast the life of the vehicle by using the manufacturer's recommended oil.

Will Honda perform for an oil analysis if your engine fails for whatever reason? Probably not. Most 30 weight oil will shear down to 20 weight over time anyway.

It just doesn't make a difference at the end of the day, so why not stick to the manufacturer's recommendation?
Warranty concerns is an issue. 'cause you could just claim it was 0W-20 and nobody would check. Would 5W-30 provide better protection ? Noooo, otherwise Honda would have prescribed that instead of 0W-20. Obvious, No ? At the end of the day, it might make a difference, maybe slight, maybe huge, and certainly not likely for the better.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
... it might make a difference, maybe slight, maybe huge, and certainly not likely for the better.
So, your grand conclusion is that something might maybe happen possibly, and it probably might not be good. Quality post.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
So, your grand conclusion is that something might maybe happen possibly, and it probably might not be good. Quality post.
What's your take ? That 5W-30 IS better than the 0W-20 that is specified ? I assume the Honda engineers know what they're talking about and that the prescribed viscosity is optimal. Therefore any deviation from that must be detrimental. Simple.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's your take ? That 5W-30 IS better than the 0W-20 that is specified ? I assume the Honda engineers know what they're talking about and that the prescribed viscosity is optimal. Therefore any deviation from that must be detrimental. Simple.
My take is on the first page because, incase you haven't noticed, repeating the same thing over and over gets on people's nerves.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
0/20 again is all about CAFE and not in your best interest as a 2.0 or especially a 1.5t owner.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.