Honda dealership used 0W-40 engine oil instead of 0W-20 / 0W-30 / 5W-30 for my 1.5T

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But in an EU car with automatic engine idle stop/start a less viscous oil (let's say 5w30 or 0w30) would be still somewhat better than a 0w40 I think. Just because theoretically it can reach all engine part somewhat faster. Not like it would really matter since almost everybody turns that damn thing off.
You do know that Honda uses 0W-40 in the NSX engine, right? It does stop/start too because it is a hybrid. The engine in the NSX is a bespoke design especially for that car, not an adaptation of a current production V6. If 0W-20 is such a great oil, why do you think Honda uses an "inferior" grade for their halo car?
Sponsored

CastorX

First Name
BalƔzs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
You do know that Honda uses 0W-40 in the NSX engine, right? It does stop/start too because it is a hybrid. The engine in the NSX is a bespoke design especially for that car, not an adaptation of a current production V6. If 0W-20 is such a great oil, why do you think Honda uses an "inferior" grade for their halo car?
Wow dude chill please. I assume they were designing the nsxā€˜s engine with continous engine start stop events and 0w40 oil grade in mind. Iā€˜m pretty sure that the nsx also has a dry sump system with multiple oil pumps, that also might help to reach the oil into places faster. And since itā€˜s a hybrid they can operate with electric motor after engine start for short time before getting all the power out of the ICE engine. Also since itā€˜s a hybrid the engine is started by a big electric motor not a much smaller starter motor like in our cars so the w40 oil doesnā€™t really make the starters job harder in the ndxā€˜s case. That is just a theory. But iā€˜m pretty sure that using an oil that is NOT listed in manual as allowed viscosity then it shouldnā€™t be used for a longer period of time at least not during typical everyday use with stop and goes and shot distance drivings. It is partly just politics becase of environmental protection reasons, but in this case mechanic told the owner the owner that 0w40 is better even if itā€˜s not listed in the manual. It might be better in some circumstances like driving the whole day on the autobahn but itā€˜s definately not better the way the thread starter is using his car, he wrote ā€žI'm doing a lot of short trips in winter with only 6 or 7 kilometers, mostly stop and go trafficā€œ, that plus engine IAS feature is not the case where I would use thick oil for sure. An nsx in that case just would go full electric with occasionally starting the ICE, i can image it would even do less stop starts then a civic.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
You do know manufacturers also design engines with a specific oil in mind, The 0W40 used in the NSX probably means the bearing clearances are slightly larger than the Civic's engine and it is also tought that a good portion of the NSX drivers will be using the car on track or being hard on the engine since it's a super car. The NSX is also sold in less volume so making the max out of fuel efficiency goes out the window. For the Civic, saving that 0.003% efficiency of the 0W20 over the 30 or 40 weight is what makes them pass emission standards and allows them to make super cars. Will 40 weight damage the Civic engine over time? Probably not, would I go from 20 to 40 weight? Not a chance unless I only use the car on a race track where extreme heat will build up and the higher viscosity oil will be needed at those temperatures. I use 5W30 myself and even in winter(up to -45C a couple times) there has not been an issue in 2 years, it also seems to dampen the metallic sound of the engine past 4500rpms compared to 20 weight.

Remember that that 0W20 is not meant to keep the engine running for a very long time but to save fuel. The engine will most likely last 2-300 000km easily but would most likely last longer on a slightly heavier oil IMO. That's the reason manufacturers are starting to use 0w16 and even 0w12 in some cars. This will become even worse the later it gets as emission standards will become harsher, every tiny bit counts for them.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
You do know manufacturers also design engines with a specific oil in mind, The 0W40 used in the NSX probably means the bearing clearances are slightly larger than the Civic's engine and it is also tought that a good portion of the NSX drivers will be using the car on track or being hard on the engine since it's a super car. The NSX is also sold in less volume so making the max out of fuel efficiency goes out the window. For the Civic, saving that 0.003% efficiency of the 0W20 over the 30 or 40 weight is what makes them pass emission standards and allows them to make super cars. Will 40 weight damage the Civic engine over time? Probably not, would I go from 20 to 40 weight? Not a chance unless I only use the car on a race track where extreme heat will build up and the higher viscosity oil will be needed at those temperatures. I use 5W30 myself and even in winter(up to -45C a couple times) there has not been an issue in 2 years, it also seems to dampen the metallic sound of the engine past 4500rpms compared to 20 weight.

Remember that that 0W20 is not meant to keep the engine running for a very long time but to save fuel. The engine will most likely last 2-300 000km easily but would most likely last longer on a slightly heavier oil IMO. That's the reason manufacturers are starting to use 0w16 and even 0w12 in some cars. This will become even worse the later it gets as emission standards will become harsher, every tiny bit counts for them.
I agree with you. I too have noticed that heavier oil does quieten the engine somewhat. Hopefully my engine lasts a long time even if I sell it: the next person will not collect a can of rocks which is so often the case with people not loving their cars. Its usually one extreme or the other. ?

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My engine is still running on the 0W-40 oil and it's still cold outside, often somewhat around 0 degree Celsius (30 degree Fahrenheit).
But I try to avoid all short trips and stop and go traffic, I rather commute on the bicycle and freeze my ass off every day.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
My engine is still running on the 0W-40 oil and it's still cold outside, often somewhat around 0 degree Celsius (30 degree Fahrenheit).
But I try to avoid all short trips and stop and go traffic, I rather commute on the bicycle and freeze my ass off every day.
Take it for a good ride on the autobahn...lol

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I switch to 0w40 for the summer months and the engine does sound smoother and quieter compared to the unpleasant metallic sound I hear with the 0w20.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP here: At 37k miles I had my fourth oil change recently (maintenance minder).

I went to another dealer ship this time and they used 0W-20 Type 2.0 synthetic engine oil (cost $170). I drove a few hundred miles since then, engine runs smooth as before and I couldn't feel any difference yet.

Temperatures here are currently somewhat between 20 and 50 degree Fahrenheit.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag

I went to another dealer ship this time and they used 0W-20 Type 2.0 synthetic engine oil (cost $170). I drove a few hundred miles since then, engine runs smooth as before and I couldn't feel any difference yet.

You're going off of what the repair order says, not actually what oil the tech put in. In all likelihood you've always had 0w-20 in there and the service writer that day simply coded the line incorrectly as 0w-40.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@tacocat
Trust me, the Honda tech used Mobil 1 0W-40 Dexos 2 oil on my the last two oil changes.
It's not only written on the invoices, I also talked to them about that and asked why.

PS: no full quote needed when replying directly :)

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
@tacocat
Trust me, the Honda tech used Mobil 1 0W-40 Dexos 2 oil on my the last two oil changes.
It's not only written on the invoices, I also talked to them about that and asked why.

PS: no full quote needed when replying directly :)
I can quote how I like thank you. And you specifically went and talked to the techs after the oil changes? 0w-20 is supplied as bulk oil at honda, they would have to specifically open bottled oil to give you 0w-40 since it's not available in bulk. Find it highly unlikely but whatever makes you sleep better at night.

CastorX

First Name
BalƔzs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I think the 5w30 or 0w30 is a good compromise. When my honda dealer put 5w30 in the car after 0w20 there was a noticable difference in engine noise. It became more silent. Even my wife noticed it and that doesnt happen every day

CastorX

First Name
BalƔzs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can quote how I like thank you. And you specifically went and talked to the techs after the oil changes? 0w-20 is supplied as bulk oil at honda, they would have to specifically open bottled oil to give you 0w-40 since it's not available in bulk. Find it highly unlikely but whatever makes you sleep better at night.
Some dealers in europe put 5w30 or 0w40 in the 10th gen. My dealer also uses 5w30 shell acea c2 oil. In Europe a wider range of viscosity is allowed but after 2018 it must be particulate filter compatible (c2 or c3 oil).

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And you specifically went and talked to the techs after the oil changes?
Yes, I talked to the chief mechanic and he said:

Meanwhile I could talk to the dealer and he told me what I expected him to say: "The 0W-40 is better than the 0W-20".
@CastorX
Yes I've seen some more people on the german forums who use 0W-40 engine oil.

I couldn't feel any difference between the 0W-40 and the 0W-20
Sponsored

Last edited: