Current owners: so who's upgrading?

Current CTR owners: Upgrading to 2020 / trying for the Limited Edition?

• No

Votes: 164 87.7%
  • Yes, upgrading (to 2020)

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Yes, upgrading (to the Limited Edition)

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • I'm trading it in for something not a Civic instead

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, now that Honda has let all the tricks out the bag for the 2020 Type R, us current owners have a choice to make.

So, who's keeping theirs and who is going straight to the dealership to pickup a 2020 or 2021 the moment they can?

Me personally? I'm keeping mine, mainly because I still enjoy how it drives, I've gone without the gizmos for 2 years, and I'd like to not make another bad financial decision for once. Besides...it's not like the previous versions drive any worse!:headbang:

What say you, fellow FK8 owners?
Sponsored

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Nah. There are nice new toys with the new car and still good MSRP. My next car is probably either a C8 or model 3 performance.

Mine is a 17 bought it in OCT 17. Had about 6 months of people asking what is this thing. Including a DMV inspection the dude even jumped all drive test cars and come to inspect my car first.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nah. There are nice new toys with the new car and still good MSRP. My next car is probably either a C8 or model 3 performance.

Mine is a 17 bought it in OCT 17. Had about 6 months of people asking what is this thing. Including a DMV inspection the dude even jumped all drive test cars and come to inspect my car first.
I don't know what my next car after this will be. Top of the list is a CPO RC-F, or GS-F. Or maybe an RS3...ideally, I would then need something with 3 pedals. This is my first manual and i enjoy it a lot. Maybe by the time I could do that I'd still have enough for a used 9th gen or 10th gen Si. This is literally just wishful thinking though,,,still quite some time from even being remotely possible. Which is good - I only have 26K miles on mine, it's not even broken in yet. :thumbsup:

AlinaFK8

First Name
Alina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CW
Country flag
Guess ill "upgrade" to a Limited Edition here in EU if i get the chance, but will still keep my other CW one as a Daily.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got mine last june, wrapped it yellow. FBO dyno tuned.. too late to consider a trade..
I am happy with mine ...

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I really enjoy my 2017 but if I have the chance to get a limited edition at or near whatever their MSRP is going to be I’ll likely get it and just have two of them. 1 of 600 would be cool to own.

Really wouldn’t want to spend more than $50,000 on the limited edition. Maybe $55-60k if I’m feeling dumb.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Value of my car is maybe 27-28,000 if I'm lucky, I owe 24,700 on it still, so 2,300-3,300 coming back out. I originally put 5,500 down on the car (not too much, but not too little). So I'd come out under 2,200-3,200 for the almost 3 years of ownership (to be honest, not too bad). But then we add in the difference of the cost of the car, so 36,5 after destination (if memory serves) for my 2018 vs 38,000 for the 2020, so that's another 1,500 I'm out. So all together, an upgrade would cost me about 3,700-4,700 bucks total if I were to upgrade. So the question is, are the updates worth the 4-5k that I'd lose out on?
  • Steering wheel: I just got on, no need
  • Suspension upgrades: It's a slight want, but probably not the biggest difference in handling, traction, and comfort.
  • Front grill/splitter: again, meh. It doesn't deal with the true heat issues with the car. Unless they upgraded the radiator or intercooler, it'll still heat soak.
  • New fake vents: cosmetic thing... Not really worth it, though I do like how the fake venting on the rear is smaller. I was actually debating getting them, so add 300 to the bill. I'd personally rather forgo the front ones and add Mugen covers instead (personally feel they look better), though those wouldn't be compatible with the 2020.
  • Brakes: If it's quiet it becomes a want, but that's most likely due to the pads which cost about 130 for the pair. Round up to 150 and add that to the bill. Rotors are nice and all, but the stock ones on my 18 is fine enough for what I do.
  • Alcantera wheel: Just upgraded my wheel, I like the CF and perforated leather better than the Alcantera. No joy.
  • Alcantera shift boot: OK, it actually looks nice and fits better with the interior elements o the car. It's a slight want, but could do without.
  • Shift knob: 90g Counterweight sounds interesting, so I'll get it regardless to see what its like. I wish it was wrapped in something (leather, Alcantera, anything). Add 100 to the bill.
  • Datalogger: Cool feature, makes it more "racecar", but honestly, when will I actually use it? That smoothness scoring thing sounds interesting though. In any event, it's probably possible to jailbreak the head unit to allow some access to it, though knowing Honda they may have tweaked the ECU data output so it wouldn't work.
  • HondaSensing: Out of all of this, I'd personally only want heated mirrors. Blind spot monitoring would be nice as well. Wasn't this like a 1000 dollar option anyways? Add 1,000 to the bill.
  • Piped in engine noise: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I don't want it, subtract 10,000 from the bill (JKJK).
Everything else is literally the same. So the bill is 1,550 dollars for the features I might actually want and I'd be spending 3700 to get it? Yeah, no thanks.

I will say this, the black seats in the stealthier CTR Europe is getting look sick, 19" rims are awesome on that too (too bad they'll cost an arm and a leg to get up here). Those forged rims on the limited edition look awesome, but only cut off less than 5lbs* per corner it seems. The rims I have right now do more than twice that, granted they don't have the offset (Motegi's do almost exactly 2x the weight loss with a good offset).

*18lbs quoted, so either it's 4.5 per corner or each of these rims weighs in at 12 lbs

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm good with my current Type R

Riknos

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8, 2004 S2000, 2019 FK6
Country flag
I'm hoping plenty of people trade in their old cars for the new one so I can pick up a sweet used deal on an older one, or at the very least that it drives price down on the older ones. Fingers crossed

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
Definitely not "upgrading" from my 2018. I don't really consider the 2020 an upgrade, personally.

gt_fk8

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Would really depend on the pricing of the car. Whilst it is a limited edition, a new civic is on the horizon and who knows how much better/or worse that will be. My heart would say YES as I own the AUS spec 2018 model but yeah big IF depends on the cost. Knowing Honda Australia it will be $65k plus and that would be a huge no.
Sponsored