CTR Rev Matching and Emissions Issues w/Check Engine light.

Vteclover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 civic si
Country flag
Looks like I’m on borrowed time... 5500 miles on r-12851. Early 2018 build with update 2 taped harness..
No issues yet & don’t plan on updating unless totally needed.
I dread dealers & this isn’t a simple swap...

31F5344A-EBF9-4974-BF01-D56891807934.jpeg
I got the first batch 2017 make and I also got a recall letter from Honda, I going let it ride until it pops up before I bring it in, crossing my fingers for that day not to come
Sponsored

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I guess my time has come - just hit ~4800 miles, and got the rev match/emissions check engine light. Going to see if any of the local Honda dealers have done the harness swap before...

Anyone in Seattle gone to any of the local Honda dealers for this harness swap yet? If so, where did you go?

Edit: Looks like I already have the updated harness? Not surprised since I took delivery in January this year. Guess I'll have to see what the code was and what the dealer says. Hmmmm...

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Rev Matching and Emissions Issues w/Check Engine light. harness

Last edited:

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
I am waiting till I get a light before addressing the fix but Lynnwood Honda has the Top Master Tech in the nation so that’s where I will go if I have the issue.

My 17 #1008 just hit 4800 miles too and no issues yet.....

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I am waiting till I get a light before addressing the fix but Lynnwood Honda has the Top Master Tech in the nation so that’s where I will go if I have the issue.

My 17 #1008 just hit 4800 miles too and no issues yet.....
I hadn't received a call or letter from Honda about the issue like others had, so I was waiting as well. Right now I'm planning on running by Kirkland Honda to pull the code at lunch to see if it's the same issue as this thread or if it's slightly different. Also I'm curious if they can see if the harness was actually addressed as it looks like it was, pre-delivery. I'll make a call on where to take it from what I find out. Thanks for the info!

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Let us know what you find out.
Honda has been hounding me to fix with weekly calls and even tracked me down at work.

Vteclover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 civic si
Country flag
Let us know what you find out.
Honda has been hounding me to fix with weekly calls and even tracked me down at work.
Woow, that would be really annoying the hell out me, I would tell them if they constantly disturbing me I will take the car to an other dealership for repair

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Woow, that would be really annoying the hell out me, I would tell them if they constantly disturbing me I will take the car to an other dealership for repair
It’s Corporate Honda..
I said car is garaged until spring time and she still calls me and will continue to do so until Iam off her call list.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Yup, P2261. I think I'll cancel my appointment with Kirkland and make it in Lynnwood just to be safe. Another friend heavily recommended Honda Lynnwood, so I will happily drive the 30 minutes to take care of that.

Honestly, I'm kind of happy it happened finally. I just wish it wasn't during fall...

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Yup, P2261. I think I'll cancel my appointment with Kirkland and make it in Lynnwood just to be safe. Another friend heavily recommended Honda Lynnwood, so I will happily drive the 30 minutes to take care of that.

Honestly, I'm kind of happy it happened finally. I just wish it wasn't during fall...
You just need the air bypass valve replaced for P2261.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
You just need the air bypass valve replaced for P2261.
I was actually re-reading through the thread since I saw the majority of people with the original harness had P0035, and saw someone else mention that it was a simpler issue. Thanks for the direct info!

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Update - P2261 does indeed warrant a replacement of the turbocharger bypass control valve. Waiting on parts, took them a while to troubleshoot though. I'm guessing they tried to fix it a few times, first (likely through re-seating). They took my car out driving several times. I watched the driver carefully drive my car around, so at least they're respectful about it!

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update - P2261 does indeed warrant a replacement of the turbocharger bypass control valve. Waiting on parts, took them a while to troubleshoot though. I'm guessing they tried to fix it a few times, first (likely through re-seating). They took my car out driving several times. I watched the driver carefully drive my car around, so at least they're respectful about it!
Did you end up taking it to Lynnwood Honda or Kirkland?

Glad you got the car fixed and they didn’t beat on it or mess anything up!

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Did you end up taking it to Lynnwood Honda or Kirkland?

Glad you got the car fixed and they didn’t beat on it or mess anything up!
I actually took it to Kirkland because it wasn't the harness replacement, and going to Lynnwood would have had me miss too much work time this week, sadly. Which I can't afford with project crunch time. Still, they did pretty good so far; just hoping they finish it out tomorrow.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I actually took it to Kirkland because it wasn't the harness replacement, and going to Lynnwood would have had me miss too much work time this week, sadly. Which I can't afford with project crunch time. Still, they did pretty good so far; just hoping they finish it out tomorrow.
Agree with ya and hopefully she’s done tomorrow. Time is $$

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Car was finished yesterday, and found the full details out. P2261: Bypass control valve was stuck closed (at some point), but after clearing the codes, they couldn't get the CEL to pop again, and didn't want to take it on the freeway in heavy traffic; They drove it like 9 miles on the street to see if it would happen again. Honda tech site had this error and behavior cataloged, and recommended replacing the valve even if the CEL didn't come back after reset.

Car came back a little dirtier thanks to rain, but in basically the same shape as I left it with them, and with the valve replaced. The CTR is driving good again.

Service Adviser was happy it wasn't the harness issue after doing some research (after I mentioned it on drop-off), and went out of his way to note that the harness was replaced before the car was sold since it had still been in the dealer's possession when the TSB popped.

Everything seems good and fine now, and I'm happy.
Sponsored