Are the stock tires really this noisy???

1. Nitori

Nitori Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2016 Toyota Tacoma
    Hi all, first post here, just took home a 2019 Civic Si Sedan in Aegean Blue... 77 miles on it as of right now! :D

I am kind of concerned by the amount of tire noise I am getting, I don't recall it being so loud on my test drive but dang these things are howlers!

And that's saying something coming from a person whose other garage spot is taken by a Toyota Tacoma with all terrain tires on it...

So does it calm down a little after the tires wear in a bit, or is there potentially some other issue afoot?

2. Roadcone

Roadcone Senior Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Car(s):
    '14 FR-S + '19 CTR
    what tires are they? check your tire pressures and make sure everything is where its supposed to be. also visually inspect them and make sure they arent showing any sort of crazy wear from a bad alignment.

Nitori thanked this.
  3. TypeSiR

TypeSiR Senior Member

Car Driver
    Car(s):
    1.5T Civic, CTR, MX5
    Yes, the Si’s all-season Goodyear Eagle Sport tires are notoriously loud. As already mentioned, check proper tire pressure (32-33 psi).

Nitori thanked this.
  4. ski-line900

ski-line900 Senior Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
    The 18" tires on the hatchback are so noisy. Terrible.

5. gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    Honestly the OEM tires are loud, but something else is a factor. The rear of the car has very little sound insulation.

mikes210 thanked this.
  6. Weeks

Weeks Member

Software Engineer
    First Name:
    Evan
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Si
    I had been wondering this, too, but honestly I've just grown used to it over the last couple of weeks. I wonder if there are some other tires out there that wouldn't be as noisy.

7. caspar21

caspar21 2018 Civic Si

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si
    tires are loud. add sound insulation too. civic went light on sound dampening

8. PhilF

PhilF Senior Member

Retired Biomedical Technician, Gunsmith
    First Name:
    Phil
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Touring Coupe Platinum White Pearl 2019 FIT EX-L Navi Modern Steel Metallic
    I am running Michelin Primacy Tours on my Touring Coupe (235/40/18) they have proven quiet so far, have 5400 miles on them, I've also read the the Vredestiens are also quiet as well.

9. OP
    OP
    Nitori

Nitori Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2016 Toyota Tacoma
    With only 77 (now like 140 something) miles on the car that'd have to be an egregious alignment issue...

But yeah, the pressure was the main issue. The incredibly talented service monkeys decided 49-50 PSI was a good place to start. :thumbsdown:

Not too thrilled with the service department so far- no to mention there's other issues like the aftermarket alarm they said was removed is clearly still dangling under the dash... but I won't shit up the tires thread for that. :bat:

Regardless, thanks guys!

10. Benster

Benster Senior Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
    Had the same issue with my car from the dealer, they left them at the 51+psi that it had when it got off-loaded. Kinda scary to think that their checklist doesn't include check tire pressure prior to releasing a vehicle. To their benefit though, I gave them 3 hours to get the car prepped, undercoated and rust proofed before I left so I figured some things would not get looked at.

11. wdubose05

wdubose05 Member

First Name:
    William
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si Sedan
    I finally had enough with the factory Goodyear Eagle Sports. I switched over to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and while it's not a night and day difference in terms of noise it is noticeably more subdued. I hear less tires/road and more engine now.

I was never confident in the Goodyears in wet conditions, they would hydroplane bad. The Michelin's have exceeded my expectations in terms of noise & dry/wet traction.

I also looked at Continental DWS06 but felt more comfortable with the Michelin brand.

12. CTRx

CTRx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic
    No concerns with the OEM tires yet for me in Canada.

13. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Senior Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Coupe EX
    19 EX coupe with Continentals and it's no concern at all. Great tires. I will say it depends a lot on the road surface itself. Fairly new surface and they are super quiet.