Android Auto Won't Connect - Please Help

HondasRun4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
I launch Android Auto on my phone. I connect it to the 1.5 USB port (front). Then what? I thought it was supposed to start automatically. The Honda owner's manual says a tutorial will appear on the screen..... but nothing happens when I connect my phone. I have an LG G5 running Android 7.0. There's nothing wrong with my cord; I use it all the time to connect my phone to other devices. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Make sure Android Auto is installed on your phone. If it didn't come on the phone from the factory, you'll have to download it from the Play Store.

OP
OP
HondasRun4ever

HondasRun4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
Yes, as mentioned in my original post, I do have Android Auto on my phone.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Ugh, sorry, I overlooked that.

Instead of launching AA then plugging it in, if you just plug it in with the phone at the home screen, does AA launch itself on the phone? That's how it does on mine.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Reboot both the phone and the head unit. If that doesn't work, you should try another cable (annoying, I know, but this solves so many problems).

OP
OP
HondasRun4ever

HondasRun4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
Instead of launching AA then plugging it in, if you just plug it in with the phone at the home screen, does AA launch itself on the phone? That's how it does on mine.
Yes, when I plug it in, AA launches on my phone, but nothing happens on my car's head unit display.

Reboot both the phone and the head unit. If that doesn't work, you should try another cable (annoying, I know, but this solves so many problems).
Yep, tried rebooting both multiple times. Didn't make any difference. Do I need a different cable even if I know my cable works (I can successfully connect my phone to my laptop using the cable)?

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Are you running stock ROM on your phone? I noticed some AA delay issues after flashing a Nougat ROM on my N5.

The cable is the quickest / cheapest thing to troubleshoot.

OP
OP
HondasRun4ever

HondasRun4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
I called Honda's in-car tech support and they told me to do a hard factory reset. I was reluctant to try it, but they talked me into it, and now........ It's working! IT'S WORRRKING! Now I have to go back and re-do all my other customizations.

jayblob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
All,

Through two different Android phones (new ones: Galaxy S8+ and Google Pixel 2 XL), I had NO success in connecting them to my car and having Android Auto launch on its own. Every time I'd connect, the phone would charge, but nothing else would happen. I tried reinstallations, reboots, and even a hard reset of the stock infotainment system in my 2016 Civic Touring. A lot of research time on the web, too. But, here's what I got as a solution to my problem, wondering if it is going to get anyone else out of their issues.

The problem seems to be that the buried settings on the infotainment system were not configured to allow Android Auto to connect. To clarify--I've been successfully using Apple CarPlay since I got the car, just Android Auto wouldn't work. I stumbled across this myself, couldn't find these steps anywhere on the web in all my looking around. Pictures included for your reference.

1. Press the dimmer, audio power and menu buttons simultaneously; this brings up a self-diagnosis screen. Choose "Detail Information & Setting"
Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto Won't Connect - Please Help 1
2. Choose "Functional Setup"
Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto Won't Connect - Please Help 2
3. Choose "Other"
Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto Won't Connect - Please Help 3
4. Choose "Smartphone Information"
Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto Won't Connect - Please Help 4
5. Tabs will show for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Make sure the Android Auto ON/OFF setting is turned to "On."
(OFF)
Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto Won't Connect - Please Help 5
(ON)
Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto Won't Connect - Please Help 6

I don't know what caused this to be set to "off" by default, perhaps something I've done inadvertently in the last 18 months owning the car, but also possible it came that way from the factory. But, since I've switched this to "on," I've had no issues whatsoever with Android Auto OR Apple CarPlay (I have a personal and work phone and use both in the car).

I hope it helps someone else, this one is a nearly year-old issue that I'm glad is done!

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
Maybe it's because I have a 2017 and newer software but I can get to that setting without having to go to the factory menus on my radio- just a FYI for those with newer Civics.

cfleegle

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Coupe 2015 Chrysler 200s
Vehicle Showcase
My car won't even discover my galaxy s8+. I have rebooted both the unit and phone back to factory settings and still nothing. I don't get why I can't use android auto when my phone is plugged in. I emailed honda support but will try the process above. It will work for apple car play but my phone it will not.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There may have been a recent Google server-side change/issue - people with multiple models with Android Auto were reporting issues yesterday -

cfleegle

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly, mine has worked great for two months and then monday while I was using the gps android auto stopped working and it will no longer discover my phone. I have an appointment for my transmission to be looked at I might ask them then.

cfleegle

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had to factory reset the head unit and it started working. Rebooting with the power button didn't do it for me. Just posting in case someone else has this problem and the power button reboot doesn't work for them.

420moonboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic
There may have been a recent Google server-side change/issue - people with multiple models with Android Auto were reporting issues yesterday -
Interesting... Just started having issue with my steering wheel controls this morning and I also noticed a slight change in the way the "..." button displays the additional buttons on the touch screen, instead of replacing the normal buttons, the extended menu shows up above it. So I guess there was something google did to change the functionality of android auto, which in turn "broke" my wheel controls
Sponsored