BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Stock... stock projectors or stock led headlights? There are 2 different stock headlights.
It looks like n9yty has a 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX. That would be stock projectors. I don't think any 2018 Civics had LEDs, possibly the Touring but none below that trim, from what I've seen.
Sponsored

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Can you tell me where you read or heard this. All Honda's specs say on their website is "fog lights" not saying what kind.
Yeah, I'm surprised too. I looked in the owner's manual for 2016 and 2019. The 2019 manual spec. says 35W (H8) for models with halogen fog lights, or LED for models with LED fog lights. The 2016 manual just lists 35W (H8). I'm guessing the Touring spec. receives LED headlights and foglights, but again just a guess...

The headlights are more than adequate and bright enough. The turn signals are super bright!

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can always do a retrofit and get much better light output, or put a HID kit in your stock projectors and use that until you can retro. I have been running the Morimoto kit in mine for a year or so and it is great output.

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
LoL - It is a 2019 Hatchback EX. Stock for whatever it comes with. LOL Sorry, I don't know any more than that, I haven't touched them since I took delivery.

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Yeah, I'm surprised too. I looked in the owner's manual for 2016 and 2019. The 2019 manual spec. says 35W (H8) for models with halogen fog lights, or LED for models with LED fog lights. The 2016 manual just lists 35W (H8). I'm guessing the Touring spec. receives LED headlights and foglights, but again just a guess...

The headlights are more than adequate and bright enough. The turn signals are super bright!
I wasn't aware of this when I posted my comment, (i hadn't looked) so I checked the fog lights on my 2019 EX-L and they are in fact LED.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

The led fogs are add-ons you can buy I'm honda accessories

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I wasn't aware of this when I posted my comment, (i hadn't looked) so I checked the fog lights on my 2019 EX-L and they are in fact LED.
Interesting. It'd be nice to have a side by side comparing LED fogs vs. regular fogs

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2 yrs in on the morimoto hid kit 35w 6500K. love them and never ever get flashed

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic headlights upgrade? IMG_5516

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
You can always do a retrofit and get much better light output, or put a HID kit in your stock projectors and use that until you can retro. I have been running the Morimoto kit in mine for a year or so and it is great output.
I just checked out the Morimoto kit -- doesn't look like something I would attempt. My automotive skill set is roughly comparable to the average 15 year old.

Permit me to ask a stupid question: when you say "put a HID kit in your stock projectors", does that mean simply swapping the bulbs, or is there more to it? I suspect the latter.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just checked out the Morimoto kit -- doesn't look like something I would attempt. My automotive skill set is roughly comparable to the average 15 year old.

Permit me to ask a stupid question: when you say "put a HID kit in your stock projectors", does that mean simply swapping the bulbs, or is there more to it? I suspect the latter.
The Hid kit comes with bulbs and ballasts and a relay. The ballasts plug/click into your existing wiring and the bulbs twist in like the stock bulbs. Running the relay is the hardest but its easy and they give you step by step instructions on the package. You could pay a local shop to install as well.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I just looked at instructions for replacing
The Hid kit comes with bulbs and ballasts and a relay. The ballasts plug/click into your existing wiring and the bulbs twist in like the stock bulbs. Running the relay is the hardest but its easy and they give you step by step instructions on the package. You could pay a local shop to install as well.
I looked at conversion kits and the prices are better than I had expected.

The 2019 Civic EX comes with auto-dimming headlights. I'm guessing conversion to HID would negate that?
Not that it matters much -- I think I can still manually switch between high and low beam.

I doing the research I came across a couple articles strongly advising against HID. They said the "blinding effect" is a hazard to oncoming traffic, even on low, offsetting the advantage gained by the driver with HID. I guess a lot would depend on whether you're diving on less-trafficked roads or busy ones, if that's true.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just looked at instructions for replacing

I looked at conversion kits and the prices are better than I had expected.

The 2019 Civic EX comes with auto-dimming headlights. I'm guessing conversion to HID would negate that?
Not that it matters much -- I think I can still manually switch between high and low beam.

I doing the research I came across a couple articles strongly advising against HID. They said the "blinding effect" is a hazard to oncoming traffic, even on low, offsetting the advantage gained by the driver with HID. I guess a lot would depend on whether you're diving on less-trafficked roads or busy ones, if that's true.
The blinding effect is from when 99% of headlights were halogen reflectors, the reflector would scatter the hid light everywhere and blind oncoming traffic. Now that halogen projectors are more common, you can get away with HIDs in them because the projector directs the beam from an hid bulb in a uniform and useful way that doesnt put light in oncoming drivers eyes. My cutoff is usually just about the license plate of car of similar size.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic headlights upgrade? 461758d1406324257-ultimate-write-up-against-hid-reflector-housing-img_20130513_230100_604

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
The blinding effect is from when 99% of headlights were halogen reflectors, the reflector would scatter the hid light everywhere and blind oncoming traffic. Now that halogen projectors are more common, you can get away with HIDs in them because the projector directs the beam from an hid bulb in a uniform and useful way that doesnt put light in oncoming drivers eyes. My cutoff is usually just about the license plate of car of similar size.

461758d1406324257-ultimate-write-up-against-hid-reflector-housing-img_20130513_230100_604.jpg
Do you have your driver side foglight pointed up?

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really need to get that HID kit for my car the stock halogen headlights are horrible and the aftermarket leds are not any better.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just make sure you adjust the cutoff to not be aiming too high if you do the HID kit. Mine at stock height is ok but I prob need to aim it a little higher for more distance on our dark ass roads.

If you are thinking about LED fogs, I recommend the Morimoto ones as well. The output is amazing.
Sponsored