Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
Not to be a negative, but I don't see that being a total loss. That doesn't mean you can't recover diminished value from the insurance coverage from the other driver which may be the tripping point on the issue. The intrusion doesn't look like frame damage. My wife was hit by a 18k lbs truck in her brand new X3 at 40 mph at a slight angle to the rear (last second veer off) as she was sitting behind a truck waiting to turn left. It set off something like 14 airbags (front, side, curtain, you name it), bent the frame substantially, and they still equivocated at total loss even though I am an attorney.
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve come to the conclusion that it is essentially impossible to keep a car absolutely perfect if it’s daily driven. If you don’t do something yourself, one of the thousands of vehicles around you everyday, will. It’s just a matter of time.

Even for those who use their CTR as a second/third/whatever vehicle risk the same stuff though obviously to a lesser degree due to being out in public less. But there’s still that one guy, in that one car that’s not paying attention, lurking for your clean bumper/fender/door to mess up
Yup, plus once you have one minor accident the rest don’t bother you as much (unless you lose the car as a result but I digress). Cars are made to be driven, and if they have scars to prove it then that means the car is serving its purpose well.

JDMJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR #26226
Country flag
I was once trying to sell an older Saturn, with little luck. It was parked on the street when a lady side swiped it causing damage on the left side. I was told by the insurance company that if damage was ever from bumper to bumper, like every panel along one side had some sort of damage it was a total loss. They payed me more than I was trying to sell it for. Idk if that was just for that state but it looks like yours is damaged from bumper to bumper pretty much.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I understand being OCD about stuff like this, but I don't buy the "it'll never be the same" line of argument. I had an E36 M3 that was in a serious accident less than a month after I bought it. Front end driver's side impact, ripped off the entire front bumper, significant frame damage, close to $20k in repairs (this was 1999). It was at the dealer's body shop for at least six weeks. Came back looking good as new. I also never noticed any difference in the way it drove after the accident, and I had a LOT of fun with that car. Of course there was diminished value, but a good body shop can work wonders.

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad your okay.
I had my car about 5-6months and that "one guy" like someone posted hit my driver side quarter panel. Wasn't a big hit, more of a swipe. But it was about $6k to fix.
Going off that and looking at your pics, it'll be a hefty repair.

Since it being technically being brand new, id push for a replacement

And like someone else said it'll get salvaged and find a 2nd home

Good luck.
Keep us posted

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
IM not an expert and I know it sucks big time. But I just dont see it as a total loss. It could just be any number of 100 dolar parts for the reason the rear wheel is bent out. a wheel and couple body panels I just don't see as a total loss. 90% of the car and its mechanics are fine. Theres no glass boken no air bags set off the engine is fine.... It sucks but I dont see a company totaling this.

I know it sucks big time on a new car and your baby. but I see lots of posts with minor damage that people want totaled so they can get a new car.

I hope you do get a new one out of it but I wouldn't count on it. let us know please, keep us up to date hope it works out in your favor :)

PNWCIVICSPORTHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport HB
Country flag
Did the airbags go off? if not they will probably not total it. in the end its very repairable though. most of this stuff is labor and someone with the skill to fix it will pick it up. or it might end up in Eastern Europe

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All depends on the cost of repairs if it's worth fixing or not. I bought my CTR wrecked and was able to fix it fairly cheap and it was worth it for me. Just see what your insurance says then go from there. Good luck, glad your ok!

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had cars with less damage totalled out. In this situation I always hope to have it totalled out. A repaired one is never the same.

civicArrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your car and glad you are okay. One thing to keep an eye on for your insurance is to see if they use OEM parts. Sometimes thats an option and that can get your costs pretty high too. Best of luck and let us know.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Glad you are ok!

Agree with others who have guessed that the car will be repaired. I wouldn’t want the car but generally not much you can do about that.

A lawyer took the case for property damage only?

Here was mine from about 15 months ago...

Honda Civic 10th gen Wrecked Type R. Worth Repairing? 9ABEA058-2BC3-451C-B6BD-8C28377771D3

Andytran04

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ppm fk8
Country flag
happy to hear your doing well, sorry about the car, but thats like 90% likely a total.

whos the insurance carrier for the RV that made the unsafe lane change?

well hopefully you’re going through your own insurance to expedite the process.

good Luck

Last edited:

Andytran04

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ppm fk8
Country flag
Glad you are ok!

Agree with others who have guessed that the car will be repaired. I wouldn’t want the car but generally not much you can do about that.

A lawyer took the case for property damage only?

Here was mine from about 15 months ago...

9ABEA058-2BC3-451C-B6BD-8C28377771D3.jpeg
Wow that’s nasty, hope you recovered.

OP
OP

DiegoR

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Ex Hatchback, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Happy weekend to everyone! I’ve been away for a while to keep my mind off this. As for an update, I have spoken to a lawyer and will be helping me through this, we are thinking diminishing value and some settlement. This following week is when the insurance company will get a look to see if the car is a total loss (pandemic has slowed things down drastically.) Also the information you guys are posting is really helpful, thanks!!

Yoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT
Country flag
Yes, if they repair it, you should be covered for a rental car and a settlement for permanent loss of value. It will show up on CarFax and will forever be a tainted vehicle.
Sponsored