Worth trading my type r for M2 competition?

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
At this time I cannot get both so do you guys think trading my type r for a M2 competition would be considered an upgrade or a side step? My local dealer gave me a spot for the 19 M2 and I will need respond soon.

Funny thing is that I had a 2017 m2 for a year and went for the type r since I was offered a spot. With the price difference I like both cars probably equally. I originally didn't plan on keeping the R for as long as I have but this car is good.
Sponsored

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
M2 comp is definitely an upgrade. Regular M2 I wouldn't really call it an upgrade especially with the n55 engine that runs out of air real badly at the upper revs. The M2 from like 60-140 is dog slow compared to its power rating. Call me crazy but a tuned ctr will walk an M2 60-100+ and with the M2 being fully maxed out from the factory and not being very mod friendly I wouldn't take it over the r. The M2 comp is a different story. Only drawbacks are the sound of the s55 engine and the addled curb weight but that car will be a monster. Easy reliable 500 whp. Definitely go for the comp if you have the money and the allocation.

ebw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Acura RDX, 14 BMW 650i, 09 Aston Martin V8V, 73 Ford Maverick, 47 handbuilt racer
Country flag
At this time I cannot get both so do you guys think trading my type r for a M2 competition would be considered an upgrade or a side step? My local dealer gave me a spot for the 19 M2 and I will need respond soon.

Funny thing is that I had a 2017 m2 for a year and went for the type r since I was offered a spot. With the price difference I like both cars probably equally. I originally didn't plan on keeping the R for as long as I have but this car is good.
Great question. I liked the M2 but did not love it, and was surprised by how much more I liked the CTR. I have not yet driven the M2Comp but it may solve some of the shortcomings of the M2 (underpowered, steering feel) but it won't solve the weight issue! It may be a ton of fun and worth your time. As noted above the tunability of the CTR probably exceeds that of the M2 and M2comp, if you're into that. I have been disappointed with my previous BMWs' reliability so I passed on the M2. Please let us know what you decide to do.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag

I really love the M2 and I really do think it's the perfect car all around and the best M car BMW makes right now in terms of dynamics, size, and fun factor. I had a 2008 manual M3 before I had my kid and I needed to trade it in to get the bigger 5 series to replace it, and I loved that thing to death. I have driven a regular (manual) M2 before and I actually liked it even more than my previous M3 just because of it's size and usable power. I would say getting a comp spec '19 M2 would be an upgrade over the CTR for sure.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
It’s upgrade for sure. If I didn’t need four doors and trunk space, M2 would be at the top of my list.

run42K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WRX, 2000 ZRX
Country flag

M2 is too small. Girl’s car. And too much $$$

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Do yourself a favor and test the M2 comp first. I tested the regular M2 LCI earlier this year and was totally unimpressed. Bland boring, linear acceleration no interior sound. See my first impressions here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/tested-today-m2-lci-and-type-r-fk8.20703/

I read after M2 owners forums opinions and in general they were kind of "is that it?", some were a bit remorseful. Discussing about tunings. You toss that money and then some more to tune it. Go figure
M2 LCI was already approaching 1600 kg, I'm wondering how much will be with S55 engine. Is is still a true sports car weighing so much?

If you have those kind of means (around 70k) why not going towards 718 Cayman/ Cayman S. I tested Cayman and it was impressive the atmosphere how it handled. Maybe a Corvette, why not?

Go and try other cars, see what works best for you if you are spending this amount of money. Avoid buying something that expensive blindly.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Do yourself a favor and test the M2 comp first. I tested the regular M2 LCI earlier this year and was totally unimpressed. Bland boring, linear acceleration no interior sound. See my first impressions here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/tested-today-m2-lci-and-type-r-fk8.20703/

I read after M2 owners forums opinions and in general they were kind of "is that it?", some were a bit remorseful. Discussing about tunings. You toss that money and then some more to tune it. Go figure
M2 LCI was already approaching 1600 kg, I'm wondering how much will be with S55 engine. Is is still a true sports car weighing so much?

If you have those kind of means (around 70k) why not going towards 718 Cayman/ Cayman S. I tested Cayman and it was impressive the atmosphere how it handled. Maybe a Corvette, why not?

Go and try other cars, see what works best for you if you are spending this amount of money. Avoid buying something that expensive blindly.
718 cayman is a turbo 4, which is all well and good for a CTR but in a Porsche which has its heritage based on flat 6/straight 6 engines it doesn't feel right. On top of that $70K for a turbo 4 cayman just doesnt appeal to me at all. Just my opinion though, some people dont mind it.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
718 cayman is a turbo 4, which is all well and good for a CTR but in a Porsche which has its heritage based on flat 6/straight 6 engines it doesn't feel right. On top of that $70K for a turbo 4 cayman just doesnt appeal to me at all. Just my opinion though, some people dont mind it.
The drive ability improvement by low revs torque is night and day compared to previous L6 Boxster/Cayman engines. You don't need to rev it crazily to sprint, this makes it more bearable on daily driving. The sound is nice, bit rought unrefined like the 50s Porsche race cars(even with standard exhaust). This can be subjective though, matter of preference.
Check history facts, Porsche gained their fame on 4 cyl engine throughout 50s, 60s, part of 70s. Small, light well engineered cars. Check facts: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/technology/porsche-four-cylinder-flat-engine-history-12270.html. Not this modern marketed history 911 and 6 cyl engines.
All I can say is go test the car, don't listen blindly the Internet, if you are going to drop that kind of sum. It costs you just some time lost at worst.

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The drive ability improvement by low revs torque is night and day compared to previous L6 Boxster/Cayman engines. You don't need to rev it crazily to sprint, this makes it more bearable on daily driving. The sound is nice, bit rought unrefined like the 50s Porsche race cars(even with standard exhaust). This can be subjective though, matter of preference.
Check history facts, Porsche gained their fame on 4 cyl engine throughout 50s, 60s, part of 70s. Small, light well engineered cars. Check facts: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/technology/porsche-four-cylinder-flat-engine-history-12270.html. Not this modern marketed history 911 and 6 cyl engines.
All I can say is go test the car, don't listen blindly the Internet, if you are going to drop that kind of sum. It costs you just some time lost at worst.
That may be true, but the fact still stands that the sound of that amazing NA or even turbo 6 versus your run of the mill 4 is also a night and day difference. Sound is a huge factor for me when it comes to picking a performance car because it contributes to the whole experience, with every car manufacturer downsizing to 4 cylinder turbos, seems to me porsche did the same and took away the thing that made cayman/boxster unique. Drive an older boxster and a current one to see what I mean. Revving the nuts off of a porsche was FUN and not a flaw of the car.

Plus i've never heard anyone complain about the lack of torque in a Porsche lol, It doesnt justify to me taking away the 6 cylinder lineup. And you may be right about them starting with 4 cyl engines but they are most known for their 6 cyl engines at least in this day and age. BTW i have dtiven a 718 before, so i'm not just commenting based on online stuff i've read.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That may be true, but the fact still stands that the sound of that amazing NA or even turbo 6 versus your run of the mill 4 is also a night and day difference. Sound is a huge factor for me when it comes to picking a performance car because it contributes to the whole experience, with every car manufacturer downsizing to 4 cylinder turbos, seems to me porsche did the same and took away the thing that made cayman/boxster unique. Drive an older boxster and a current one to see what I mean. Revving the nuts off of a porsche was FUN and not a flaw of the car.

Plus i've never heard anyone complain about the lack of torque in a Porsche lol, It doesnt justify to me taking away the 6 cylinder lineup. And you may be right about them starting with 4 cyl engines but they are most known for their 6 cyl engines at least in this day and age. BTW i have dtiven a 718 before, so i'm not just commenting based on online stuff i've read.
I drove also the Cayman with previous N/A 6 cyl making roughly 300 hp. Great to rev it for track but in real driving situations is a burden. Sorry but most of the times in unpredictable daily driving situations the low rev torque wins for me. Plus revised model better engineered.
Your tastes, your money you know better what you need. Buy an older one they are plenty and cheaper.
BUT the point of my post was: do not buy that expensive cars by what the Internet says. Try them out, you might be surprised and avoid tossing your hard earned money and regretting later.

Last edited:

HONDA X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
It’s definitely an upgrade but the f80 m3 looks nicer than the m2 appearance wise but the CTR is a fun car to drive with it’s 6spd manual transmission.
Sponsored