Would you trade in a 2013 Civic for a 2016 Civic?

acercode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
I own a 2013 Civic LX auto (not CVT) which I bought new and love it. I regularly get 50mpg (hwy) and even got 60mpg. The only thing I hate is that I often sleep in the car and the rear room with the rear seat folded down is very very uncomfortable due to the small hole to the trunk. But more importantly I recently had a strange experience which makes me worry about its longevity..... heard a loud hissing noise coming from the rear of the car (like when you open a soda bottle) for about 30 seconds. It kinda scared me so I am thinking of trading it in before something major goes wrong (still under warranty). Also the seatbelt has become difficult to latch.

I fell in love with the 2016 Civic when I first saw the photos, especially the cool instrument cluster, except the rear end which reminds me of the 2012 Civic which I do not like at all. Also noticed the 2016 Civic is being recalled for potential engine fire so that worries me a lot but I'm sure the ones being built currently are fine.

According to Truecar, I can get the 2016 Civic LX with CVT for $17K which sounds like an excellent price. How much do you think I can get for a used 2013 Civic LX auto in excellent condition (paid off)? Or should I wait for 2017 to work out all the kinks since they'll be arriving in 6 months or so?

Also, do you think the 2016 Civic is that much better than the 2013 Civic, worth losing possibly $5K in a trade? What about Honda Sensing, do you think it' worth the $1K upgrade?
Sponsored

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Before you panick, check the spare tire to see if it has burst a leak to make your dreaded hissing sound.

andy_kiawah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I wouldnt even consider it if you weren't going to upgrade the trim level, especially since yours is paid off. I did trade in my 2012 Accord EX so that I could get the new Civic Touring, which seemed like a downgrade in name and size, but was a major upgrade in features and interior. I only got 3k more than what I still owed on the car, so it kept my car payment the same. If your car is paid off, why not spring the little extra it would cost you in monthly payment for an EX-T?

OP
OP

acercode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
I wouldnt even consider it if you weren't going to upgrade the trim level, especially since yours is paid off. I did trade in my 2012 Accord EX so that I could get the new Civic Touring, which seemed like a downgrade in name and size, but was a major upgrade in features and interior. I only got 3k more than what I still owed on the car, so it kept my car payment the same. If your car is paid off, why not spring the little extra it would cost you in monthly payment for an EX-T?
I'd like to keep it under $18K. EX-T costs $20K, which puts it in Accord territory, so I'd probably rather get an Accord for $19.5K.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I traded my 2013 Si in for a 2016 Touring.

I had 39,000 miles on the Si. Dealership only gave me $14,500 ish for the trade and turned around and sold it for $16,9xx.

There's been some concerns with the buggy infotainment system- I've encountered a number of these issues in my first 1000 miles on the car. The 2013 was a rock solid car. If you're betting that kind of economy, the only way I'd consider upgrading is if you aren't getting bent over financially over it. Especially on a first year model.

OP
OP

acercode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
I traded my 2013 Si in for a 2016 Touring.

I had 39,000 miles on the Si. Dealership only gave me $14,500 ish for the trade and turned around and sold it for $16,9xx.

There's been some concerns with the buggy infotainment system- I've encountered a number of these issues in my first 1000 miles on the car. The 2013 was a rock solid car. If you're betting that kind of economy, the only way I'd consider upgrading is if you aren't getting bent over financially over it. Especially on a first year model.
Yeah, def not a money pit. The only time I took my car back to the dealership was for the first oil change, which was on the house. I've been doing all the oil changes and tire rotations myself since then so spent very little. Also thrifty on the gas as it regularly gets 43mpg or better combined.

I guess I just want the '16 cause I want the newest and the latest. But I'll probably wait for '17 since the '16 seems to be very buggy.

13sharonj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Using hindsight, I wish I waited until the 2017's came around. I miss my 2013 EX dearly. While I do love my 2016 Civic, the fact that my engine is getting opened up at 450 miles thanks to a recall, my views are tainted a bit. If you go LX to LX I don't know if its worth it. The EX has a ridiculous amount of features now but it's the first year of a complete redesign. Let them get all the kinks out.

My advice is go and drive one, see how it feels. My 2013 was a tank, I put 38K miles on it and the only problems I had were not Honda's fault: Flat Tires, and a damaged fuel system after Hess did me dirty with a half gas half water mix...

OP
OP

acercode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
Using hindsight, I wish I waited until the 2017's came around. I miss my 2013 EX dearly. While I do love my 2016 Civic, the fact that my engine is getting opened up at 450 miles thanks to a recall, my views are tainted a bit. If you go LX to LX I don't know if its worth it. The EX has a ridiculous amount of features now but it's the first year of a complete redesign. Let them get all the kinks out.

My advice is go and drive one, see how it feels. My 2013 was a tank, I put 38K miles on it and the only problems I had were not Honda's fault: Flat Tires, and a damaged fuel system after Hess did me dirty with a half gas half water mix...
Sage advice. I guess I'll have to wait for '17 since I wouldn't like it either if they disassembled my car after just 450 miles also. Which is difficult for an impatient person like me. Once I see a car I like, I want it right away.

Just wondering... why did you trade in your '13?

13sharonj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Sage advice. I guess I'll have to wait for '17 since I wouldn't like it either if they disassembled my car after just 450 miles also. Which is difficult for an impatient person like me. Once I see a car I like, I want it right away.

Just wondering... why did you trade in your '13?
I leased the '13 and when I saw the '16 in person with all the features that my '13 EX lacked I couldn't resist. Glad I leased my '16 Civic, after this I'll gladly slide into another one once my lease is up and the kinks are a distant memory.

I can say that aside from this recall, I have zero complaints from my '16 Civic(s) granted I've driven about 550 miles combined between the two. My first one I put 107 miles on it and due to the stop sale, my dealer swapped it out for another '16 EX which at the time was not affected by the recall but the recall expanded and well here we are.

I certainly believe the '17's will be near perfect but only time will tell.

13sharonj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Also I also had a similar thing happen to my '13 civic where it hissed for about 20 seconds happened after a long drive in hot and humid conditions. Never thought to have it checked out though as I figured it was something sizzling on the exhaust or something it never happened again, has your issue happened on more than one occasion?

OP
OP

acercode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
I leased the '13 and when I saw the '16 in person with all the features that my '13 EX lacked I couldn't resist. Glad I leased my '16 Civic, after this I'll gladly slide into another one once my lease is up and the kinks are a distant memory.

I can say that aside from this recall, I have zero complaints from my '16 Civic(s) granted I've driven about 550 miles combined between the two. My first one I put 107 miles on it and due to the stop sale, my dealer swapped it out for another '16 EX which at the time was not affected by the recall but the recall expanded and well here we are.

I certainly believe the '17's will be near perfect but only time will tell.
That was nice of the dealer to swap the cars but I guess it wasn't meant to be. So are you continuing to drive the car with some trepidation I'm guessing?

OP
OP

acercode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
Also I also had a similar thing happen to my '13 civic where it hissed for about 20 seconds happened after a long drive in hot and humid conditions. Never thought to have it checked out though as I figured it was something sizzling on the exhaust or something it never happened again, has your issue happened on more than one occasion?
Sounds familiar. I had just driven 2 hours on the freeway when I pulled over for a min. As I pulled away, the hissing started then stopped abruptly after 30 secs. Only happened once. On second thought, I do recall hissing coming from the engine compartment when it was new, but not as loud. I thought it had something to do with the a/c since I had it on the entire drive since it was 100 degree out.

Mystery to me.

13sharonj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
That was nice of the dealer to swap the cars but I guess it wasn't meant to be. So are you continuing to drive the car with some trepidation I'm guessing?
I just got the notice and reluctantly am having it all checked tomorrow morning. The car was butter smooth before I brought it in, so the trepidation will probably start upon picking it back up because I get the "wonderful" feeling it won't feel the same. Hopefully I'm wrong and it will be just like how it was before bringing it in. Really annoyed that I got out of my lease early I would've been just fine until memorial day but hindsight is 20/20. Honda is at least smart enough to squash the issue now rather than pull a GM and wait for fatalities to do anything. I trust Honda, its the mechanics breaking open my engine which bothers me to no end.

13sharonj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Sounds familiar. I had just driven 2 hours on the freeway when I pulled over for a min. As I pulled away, the hissing started then stopped abruptly after 30 secs. Only happened once. On second thought, I do recall hissing coming from the engine compartment when it was new, but not as loud. I thought it had something to do with the a/c since I had it on the entire drive since it was 100 degree out.

Mystery to me.
I wouldn't worry too much, the biggest issue I had was the TPMS light constantly coming on thanks to cold weather and the "wonderful" Hankook Optimo tires the car came with.
Sponsored