Would you trade in a 2013 Civic for a 2016 Civic?

OP
OP

acercode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
I wouldn't worry too much, the biggest issue I had was the TPMS light constantly coming on thanks to cold weather and the "wonderful" Hankook Optimo tires the car came with.
Hope you're right. Just had another small annoyance... the volume knob stopped working so had to use the control on the steering wheel for about 10 mins. Seems to always have these glitches when temp gets in the 30s.
Sponsored

LU_REIGN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T (White)
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 2013 Civic LX auto (not CVT) which I bought new and love it. I regularly get 50mpg (hwy) and even got 60mpg. The only thing I hate is that I often sleep in the car and the rear room with the rear seat folded down is very very uncomfortable due to the small hole to the trunk. But more importantly I recently had a strange experience which makes me worry about its longevity..... heard a loud hissing noise coming from the rear of the car (like when you open a soda bottle) for about 30 seconds. It kinda scared me so I am thinking of trading it in before something major goes wrong (still under warranty). Also the seatbelt has become difficult to latch.

I fell in love with the 2016 Civic when I first saw the photos, especially the cool instrument cluster, except the rear end which reminds me of the 2012 Civic which I do not like at all. Also noticed the 2016 Civic is being recalled for potential engine fire so that worries me a lot but I'm sure the ones being built currently are fine.

According to Truecar, I can get the 2016 Civic LX with CVT for $17K which sounds like an excellent price. How much do you think I can get for a used 2013 Civic LX auto in excellent condition (paid off)? Or should I wait for 2017 to work out all the kinks since they'll be arriving in 6 months or so?

Also, do you think the 2016 Civic is that much better than the 2013 Civic, worth losing possibly $5K in a trade? What about Honda Sensing, do you think it' worth the $1K upgrade?
Dude I was in the same boat as you I did it and I'm glad I went from a 2013 civic lx to the 2016 civic ex-t just put in the injen cold air intake and working on getting the exhaust.

13sharonj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Hope you're right. Just had another small annoyance... the volume knob stopped working so had to use the control on the steering wheel for about 10 mins. Seems to always have these glitches when temp gets in the 30s.
Just got back from my dealership, my current Civic had no issues detected. However, as I posted in the recall thread, the '16 Civic EX I originally leased failed the inspection so I got extremely lucky that they swapped me out.

I never had any issues with my volume knob on the 2013 and I can guarantee you that I won't have any with my 2016 EX since Honda got rid of the standard knob altogether. I totally would recommend test driving a '16 and if you find yourself not being able to wait, if you look on the door and find one that was built in March, I would like to assume you'd be clear altogether. My current Civic was assembled in January while my original one was assembled in late October.

Honda Civic 10th gen Would you trade in a 2013 Civic for a 2016 Civic? image1.JPG

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
Coming from my GF's 9th gen EX Sedan to my Touring...they don't even feel like they are in the same spectrum. Ended up selling the 9th gen because it felt like a POS compared to the 10th gen - there was nothing wrong with it. Put over 85K miles on it in 4 years. Although I wouldn't do it unless I was upgrading trim/going with the 1.5T. I regularly hit 40mpg on my commutes.

StevenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
My '97 Acura 2.2 CL has 350K miles on it and just normal repairs. My '03 Odyssey is getting close to 200K miles and runs fine. I don't know how many miles are on your '13 Civic but it's probably just a baby in Honda miles.

Last edited:

JoeNeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally have owned 4 civics now. All of which, I bought brand new.
My last civic was a 2013 EX-L and I really loved that car. I was not at all in the market for a new car because of the longevity you would expect from a honda civic. (Personally I think whatever problems you are explaining about your current car are no big deal and do not speak to the overall longevity of the vehicle) That is most of the reason I continue to buy the car body style after body style, they last forever and are super cheap to maintain. Unfortunately I totaled the 2013 in an accident on the highway.
Once all the insurance smoke cleared and it was time to buy a new car I went ahead and picked up a 2016 EX-L black on black.
I have to say, it was the best purchase of my life. What an upgrade?!
The overall feel of the car is like an acura. I actually enjoy driving it much more than the ILX my Mom drives. The styling is very nice (I don't agree with you about the rear end, I think that is one of the nicest aspects of the exterior styling).
Most of all, the turbo engine is super quick! Like blow the doors of an SI with no problem quick (I speak from experience here). Gas mileage is still great I beat on mine and get 30mpg combined every week. The honda numbers are a little inflated in that department.
I recommend you do pick up a new one. But if you do make sure you go to a dealership that will work with you. Most of the time they want to get you in a new car so bad they will help you out and make the numbers work for you. Make sure you push back a little. Maybe come up with a couple G's for a downpayment and you can get the monthly $ to a really reasonable spot. Especially because you are coming in there with a Honda already.
Also you should bump yourself up a trim level. Once you get into the EX and above trim levels with the sunroof and a few other bells/whistles you will really be much happier with your purchase.
I didn't get the honda sensing because I'd personally rather sit on leather every day than hear an alarm every time my tire hits a line on the road. But that's just my opinion.
If you can... You should totally get the turbo. I've owned civics for over 10 years and wow. That's all I have to say.

JoeNeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coming from my GF's 9th gen EX Sedan to my Touring...they don't even feel like they are in the same spectrum. Ended up selling the 9th gen because it felt like a POS compared to the 10th gen - there was nothing wrong with it. Put over 85K miles on it in 4 years. Although I wouldn't do it unless I was upgrading trim/going with the 1.5T. I regularly hit 40mpg on my commutes.

For real man...
I can't agree with you more.
Absolutely no comparison between my 9th to my 10th.

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For what it's worth, I had a leased 2013 Civic base model and couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was lacking in so many areas where the 2016 excelled. I bought the 2016 Civic EX-T and couldn't be happier!
Sponsored