Window Tinting Behind Third Brake Light

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX WOP - Aero Kit/Wing Spoiler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have mine done fully BUT... since I have the wing spoiler with a stop light.... they killed the interior one. I had my tint done a couple of weeks after getting the car.

It would suck to have it incomplete. It looks odd. I couldn't get my front tinted as anything in the front is illegal here :/
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I'm surprised no one's mentioned state safety inspection. I've had two cars tinted by two different shops in VA and both told me they cut out the tint around the brakelight so the car wouldn't fail inspection. VA law says light from the brakelights have to be visible from 500 feet away (in daylight, I assume).

I don't think my 50% tint would've been enough to block the light past 500 feet, though, so maybe the shops were just lazy and used that as an excuse. But I could see it being an issue for anyone getting like 5% tint on the back.

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm surprised no one's mentioned state safety inspection. I've had two cars tinted by two different shops in VA and both told me they cut out the tint around the brakelight so the car wouldn't fail inspection. VA law says light from the brakelights has to visible from 500 feet away (in daylight, I assume).

I don't think my 50% tint would've been enough to block the light past 500 feet, though, so maybe the shops were just lazy and used that as an excuse. But I could see it being an issue for anyone getting like 5% tint on the back.
Valid reasoning. And I'm looking into transferring to Richmond, so anything would help with my *completely legal* (in Florida?) 20% tints if I move to VA.

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
For those who did have their tint covering the 3rd brake light, how much does that dim the light? I would definitely not want to make that light any dimmer than it already is.
Sponsored