Will my ride quality suffer with lighter wheels?

OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Could be the difference, I'm 5'9" & 200 lbs, the Fit isn't a good "fit" if you're over 6'. Ours will get some Michelins next, the Firestones aren't the ideal tires for the Fit! Adequate, but very mediocre. Factory supplied tires are usually disappointing.
I had replaced the tires with Michelin’s at about 22k. Had 40k when I traded it in.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I had replaced the tires with Michelin’s at about 22k. Had 40k when I traded it in.
Did the Michelins make a difference?

OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did go much lighter than stock...if my math is correct I lost 13lbs per wheel and tire. You definitely notice in in all categories. It does ride rougher only because it has a similar effect to increasing spring rate. The "resonance" has increased a decent amount (road noise). Everywhere it helped with the "performance" side of things.
When you went lighter, what wheels did you go to?

Also - is you change wheel and or tire sizes?

Thanks!

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Thanks

I think I will be better off keeping my stock setup. If I spent $1000 and hated driving the car I would be pissed!
I think it has its place though don't get me wrong. I enjoy knowing the benefits. Definitely can't find a way to not enjoy the car. Gives the car that "raw" feeling but not dramatically like my hasport rear mount did. The combo definitely makes me aware im driving the car instead of the numb feeling the stock stuff does (which it does very well). I'll be switching back to stock wheels for a while after 10k on my after markets.... that will cement my opinions

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As a counterpoint, there are thousands of posts in our aftermarket wheel thread here. I've looked at most of those posts and virtually nowhere do you see people complaining about poor ride quality. Considering that most aftermarket wheels are lighter, this is something to think about. In other words, maybe ride quality is slightly reduced but the benefits outweigh it.

Keep in mind PowerPerLiter reduced his unsprung weight by 13 lbs. per corner which is a gigantic reduction. So say as an example you have an EX-T with a stock 17" wheel/tire combo that weighs 48 lbs...

Upgrading to a lighter 18" combo that weighs, say 43 lbs. should give you benefits like somewhat better acceleration, handling, mpg's (with similar tires) and looks, with a slight reduction in ride quality.

On the other hand, if someone's main priority is a soft ride, just update the tires to a higher profile and keep the stock wheels.

Last edited:

Torino_85

Hector & Christine
First Name
Christine&Hec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not to much knowledge, just piece of mind...
The word is “sacrifice”
You have sacrifice one thing for another.
Is either a stock look or aggressive
Smooth feel, or better performance
Pass smog or don’t pass lol
It’s sll about sacrifice.
I’m going with sacrifice on this one.

OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I did get different wheels that are about 9 lbs lighter per wheel. I kept the stock tires. The wheels are 17x7.5 so a touch winders. The offset is also different at +38.

I don’t think I notice any difference in ride quality at all. I do think I notice a difference in handling. There is a sharp curve on a back road on my way home from work. The speed limit is 35 there and I was never able to take that curve at 50 without drifting into the other lane (right hand curve). I tried it again this past week and I was able to fully stay in my lane, I think I could push it a bit more too.

Not very scientific, but it was noticeable. Not sure if it is the lighter wheels, more offset or a combo of both.

Wheels are Sport Edition P3 in Anthracite.

View attachment 203306

Honda Civic 10th gen Will my ride quality suffer with lighter wheels? 037231FC-9A1C-4810-81B4-30E19457F878

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I like the look of the 38mm offset. Pushes the wheels/tires just a bit further out which I think looks nicer/more aggressive. The other option with these wheels was +48mm which is slightly narrower than stock.
Sponsored