Where are the Manuals?

Concept_cody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 civic lx sedan
I went and test drove an lx hatchback with the 6mt at one of the dealerships here in Fort Worth and I have to say after not driving a manual for over 4 years I was VERY impressed by where the gearshift sat, how light the clutch was, and how short the gears are. it shifts smoother than the 8th gen automatic I'm currently driving. I only got into 6th once on the short drive but the gearing felt perfect. The only complaint I have is that I knew more about the features than the salesman who didn't even know that the '17's were coming with a MT on the ex (coupe and sedan). I understand that that most salesman are not enthusiasts but I feel that they should know the same if not more than someone who dabbles in online forums. However when I asked about the si's he said that it would be more than 200 hp but couldn't/didn't know if it was going to be a 1.5t, 2.0t or if it would be available in a hatch. which that's probably Honda's fault for playing everything so close to the chest here.
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I assume these are 1st hand observations. So are mine but only using a CVT. My MT numbers are computations via the published drive ratios etc. I did note one posting of 2400 at 60 mph and that agrees closely with my computations, but 1st hand observations are important. Your numbers are within 10% of mine in any case.
I checked my 6MT Sport today:
(roughly)
70 mph = 2730 rpm
75 mph = 2900 rpm
80 mph = 3100 rpm

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
I went and test drove an lx hatchback with the 6mt at one of the dealerships here in Fort Worth and I have to say after not driving a manual for over 4 years I was VERY impressed by where the gearshift sat, how light the clutch was, and how short the gears are. it shifts smoother than the 8th gen automatic I'm currently driving. I only got into 6th once on the short drive but the gearing felt perfect. The only complaint I have is that I knew more about the features than the salesman who didn't even know that the '17's were coming with a MT on the ex (coupe and sedan). I understand that that most salesman are not enthusiasts but I feel that they should know the same if not more than someone who dabbles in online forums. However when I asked about the si's he said that it would be more than 200 hp but couldn't/didn't know if it was going to be a 1.5t, 2.0t or if it would be available in a hatch. which that's probably Honda's fault for playing everything so close to the chest here.
I asked a salesperson - a young guy, who one might (stereotypically) presume would have some knowledge - when the Si's were expected, and he told me "there isn't going to be an Si, the hatchback replaced the Si, but the CTR is coming."

Uh huh.

chubbz05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 2010 Honda Odyssey EX
Do they not offer training on new and upcoming models?! Blows my mind how many salesman/woman have no idea what they are trying to sell. Takes away all credibility.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Civic for many reasons but one of them is because I've always had a dream of taking a car to a very high mileage. I got the manual for just that. CVT may keep the RPM lower but it will not last as long as my 6-speed will either, which is another advantage to a manual transmission
That is exactly right. The first time the CVT goes out, at 80,000, the car will still be worth putting a $4000 new one in. But how about when that one goes out at 160k? Will you still wanna drop another $4k into it? And I don't have to ask when that one goes out at 240k. Friends don't let friends drive CVT's!

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One single complaint is that the slide volume control on the steering wheel does not work (going back to dealer mid november to get looked at) when slide, other than that nothing performance wise.

I just don't like driving automatics in general, never tried CVT, but heard it's worse than automatics
It feels like an auto that is slipping badly and needs an immediate rebuild!

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I checked my 6MT Sport today:
(roughly)
70 mph = 2730 rpm
75 mph = 2900 rpm
80 mph = 3100 rpm
Darn, I wanted it geared lower, to rev higher, just to irritate Steve more....

Concept_cody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 civic lx sedan
I asked a salesperson - a young guy, who one might (stereotypically) presume would have some knowledge - when the Si's were expected, and he told me "there isn't going to be an Si, the hatchback replaced the Si, but the CTR is coming."

Uh huh.
Yeah the gentleman I talked to said about the same when I asked if he knew if the si would come in a hatch. His response was "I'm not sure but the R is coming and that MAY be available in a hatchback eventually "
I don't even think they're allowed to look at pictures sometimes honestly.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
When I went to my honda dealer and told my salesman I wanted the LX MT coupe with the alloy wheels, he said "there is no MT coupe, all our cars are CVT sedans, and the LX doesn't come with alloy wheels"
I told him to go on his computer and check it out and he did and then said, yes, there is an LX MT coupe that comes with alloy wheels standard. He was a real good guy, he just wasn't up on the 2016 civic.
He had to order my car from a dealer 60 miles away. It only took two days to get it. Thank God for the internet, huh?

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Darn, I wanted to irritate Steve more....
My calculations had it 2800, 3000 and 3200, a bit higher than reported, but close enough. I also wished you had "it geared lower, to rev higher, just" what you deserve !

Concept_cody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 civic lx sedan
My calculations had it 2800, 3000 and 3200, a bit higher than reported, but close enough. I also wished you had "it geared lower, to rev higher, just" what you deserve !
If you love the cvt and don't care about performance why not just get a ford transit Steve? This forum is "geared" (haha get it?) around people who WANT a manual because it's more engaging and they don't want to cruise down the highway at RPM's that are just above idle.

Carrera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Share a 2015 Rav4
Country flag
Still haven't seen any Sport manuals in my area yet :(

Been watching closely the cvt's and of the 6 only 1 sold.
Sponsored