Wish the manuals had adaptive cruise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Today I was driving 90 minutes to the closest dealer that had a manual hatchback sport in stock. I bought a 2017 CRV in December with all the honda sensing suite and it's a great car, but I really missed a manual transmission. I had a Ford Fiesta ST before. During the drive, I realized that I LOVE the adaptive cruise control. It makes driving so much less stressful. I think it's actually improving my health by keeping my blood pressure lower, haha. So I decided not to get the hatchback.

I wish so much that Honda would offer the sensing stuff with the manuals here, like they do in other markets. I was bummed that someone linked how even the Australian (I think?) Type R will have the full honda sense stuff. They already allow the manuals here to downshift without cancelling the cruise control, it seems not too much further to add the adaptive cruise. I'd buy a manual in a second that had it. The Mustang is the only car I've found that offers adaptive cruise with a manual (in the US). Hopefully maybe next year the US will have it on the Civic.
Sponsored

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Hell, not even that far. Just go up to Canada and you can get a Sport Touring with a manual :(

Such a shame. But yes, adaptive cruise is the best thing added to modern cars since bluetooth, HIDs, or even cruise control itself. All the people here discrediting it as useless probably have never tried it. Rush hour traffic is now a weird zen-like relaxing meditation time for me now. Oh? there's traffic. Ok - set cruise, browse through some music I haven't gotten to listen to for a while. I'll get there eventually, I don't need to stress about traffic flow.

I really wouldn't discount the CVT out though. I've grown to appreciate it in mine. It is a superior technology, so it's fun in the way people are warming up to DCT's on performance cars

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So basically you are saying that if you are too lazy to actually pay attention to the road then you should get adaptive cruise?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Rush hour traffic is now a weird zen-like relaxing meditation time for me now. Oh? there's traffic. Ok - set cruise, browse through some music I haven't gotten to listen to for a while. I'll get there eventually, I don't need to stress about traffic flow.
Well said. Same here. Before, whenever I'd see traffic slowing down ahead, I'd be like "Oh God damnit". And if I'm in a rush, I still do. But usually I'm not in a rush and now I just think "eh, big deal." Set the cruise, get in the right lane, and let the car deal with the stop-and-go while I relax and enjoy some music. It's such a huge difference.

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
My civic is a Manual and it does come with adaptive cruise control

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
Same here, adaptive cruise control is standard on all grades. The only thing that is missing is the low speed assis or whatever it is called (because it is not cvt)

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same here, adaptive cruise control is standard on all grades. The only thing that is missing is the low speed assis or whatever it is called (because it is not cvt)
Your left foot and right hand is better than low speed following.. Since low speed following feature cannot detect dumb ass try to squzee in front of you or change their lane randomly..

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
Your left foot and right hand is better than low speed following.. Since low speed following feature cannot detect dumb ass try to squzee in front of you or change their lane randomly..
You don't have to tell me that, bro! I was taught to treat every single driver on the road as a moron and believe me, this approach has been bulletproof!
So many times I saved my cars by anticipating others to do the most unexpected (idiotic) thing and being prepared for it. This is much better than any safety system on a car. Car security systems react to situations, they don't predict and anticipate.

ACC is annoying for me, to be honest. I don't like it when this car brakes to keep the preset speed. An example is when you are going slightly downhill and have set speed to say 60 miles. When the car reaches 61-62 it will apply brake pressure to remain in 60-61 range... I don't like it, I'd expect him just to ease off throttle and let it engine brake or take some speed (or leave the braking up to me).
If fact, I don't use those security systems everyday. The only time I can imagine them useful is on long highway trips, when one gets a bit bored and less focused.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Must be a U.S. thing, my Manusl EX-T doesn't have adaptive CC

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have no cruise control at all, but i don't miss it

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Must be a U.S. thing, my Manusl EX-T doesn't have adaptive CC
Yeah, I'd be interested to know Honda's thinking in offering well equipped manuals in what seems like every world market except the US. I do give them props for being one of the only brands here to even offer manuals in almost every model. It seems like a catch-22 thing where they're not offering touring level manuals because not many people buy manuals, yet not many people buy them because they are not as well equipped as they could be.

I wonder if I can go up to Ontario and buy one and bring it back, haha.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I'm more surprised that they include ACC on manuals at all. At least the CVT can "downshift" when needed, and the ACC also keeps the right following distance all the way down to a dead stop.

I'm like un hombre and think that every other driver is a moron -- spending a lot of time as a pedestrian and cyclist taught me as much, too. But I have to admit, it's nice to let the car worry about keeping the right distance, and sometimes I think I can watch out for all the other cars a little better because I don't have to focus as hard on the car in front of me.

And avatar78, you've got a good point about manuals not being available in higher trims here in the US. I think they'd sell well, too. Somehow we've got a stigma, though, about manual transmissions being for base trims only and automatics being "luxury". (we've also got this crazy idea that being mechanically incompetent is "cool", but that's another topic)

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I couldn't handle that. Probably just depends on where you drive though.
Yup. Back home in Nebraska, highway traffic was light enough for me to spend most of every long drive on cruise control. Around DC, though, traffic is heavy enough that using standard cruise was a very rare possibility -- but, amazingly, I feel I can use ACC more often (which I suppose is why it has "adaptive" in its name).
Sponsored