What to do about dealer joy ride?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I don't agree with his method to warm it up but it is best to change the oil while its hot.
If the service manager is treating it as "no big deal", it should be "No big deal" if you post the Video on Youtube and see who else things it's :"no big deal"

Please post Youtube URL :coffee:
Sponsored

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I'd be out for more than a $50 credit, personally. I'd want a bunch of free accessories or something otherwise notify your local news. If that person doesn't get fired, he/she will do it again. Consequences tend to change behavior, mostly.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
It's absolutely unacceptable. Call me old fashioned but I find it bizarre that people don't treat other's property with as much or even more respect than they do their own. I can't imagine being put in charge of something someone else loves and/or worked their ass off to get and being a reckless ass with it. You were totally in the right to call the service manager and if they fire the culprit then the dealer will have done nothing but get better for it.

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Update: called the service adviser I worked with, she talked to the technician who claimed they drove it out of the dealer for the state inspection. Then the adviser passed me up to the service manager. He apologized and gave me $50 credit towards any future service and asked me to send him the video so he can talk to the technician (claiming he has no tolerance for that kind of stuff).

I felt like a jerk for calling, but as someone who loves their Type R dearly, it hurt me to watch the video. I also made sure to say that I don't want anyone to get fired over this, but it shouldn't be acceptable behavior, especially for a "special" car that I bought from that same dealer.
Why not? They should fire the guy who did this. Or he will do it again. And their other workers will do it, too. When they like a car and they want to play with it, they'll free to play with it since this behavior is tolerated.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
Why not? They should fire the guy who did this. Or he will do it again. And their other workers will do it, too. When they like a car and they want to play with it, they'll free to play with it since this behavior is tolerated.
I hate to say it because I also would feel bad about a guy potentially losing his job over it, but I would at the very least expect some sort of disciplinary action.

dc0321

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback sport
Country flag
don't know why people always takes their car to those blood suckers? do u guys really live in those places where there's no other mechanic shops?

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
don't know why people always takes their car to those blood suckers? do u guys really live in those places where there's no other mechanic shops?
I can understand if the buyer has Honda Care. It's kinda nice knowing if something does go wrong then Honda can't blame it on poor workmanship or the "wrong fluids" from a different mechanic.

OP
OP
blackhawk867

blackhawk867

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since enough of you asked for the link, here it is:

At around the 1 minute mark he leaves the dealer and redlines it in second, then just before the 2 minute mark he turns around and revs it again (though not quite to redline).

Also I realized around the 30 second mark you can hear him put the car into +R mode, and then hit it again so it beeps 3 times saying it's already in +R mode, which is DEFINITELY not something that would need to be done for an inspection. And at ~1:35 you can hear him play with the sport mode selector again and wiggle the steering wheel to try out the steering stiffness.

I left it unlisted for now cuz again, I'm non-confrontational and don't feel comfortable making a huge stink of things.

So what do you guys think now that you've seen it? Did I/am I making it a bigger deal than it is?

OP
OP
blackhawk867

blackhawk867

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
he also hits 58mph while the speed limit on that whole section is only 40

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the sound at 2:02? I heard it twice during the video, both during the acceleration runs.

OP
OP
blackhawk867

blackhawk867

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the sound at 2:02? I heard it twice during the video, both during the acceleration runs.
i think it's the dashcam/cord rattling. 2nd gear at the top of the rev range feels like it vibrates the car more than any other gear.

The scraping sound at 1:55 i think is my snow brush sliding on the back seat rubber floor mat

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
This kind of stuff makes me sick to my stomach. People have zero respect, and zero integrity. Do your job, and treat the customer’s car better than you would your own.

That being said, if the engine was up to operating temp, this wouldn’t be all that bad... still disrespectful and unacceptable behavior, but mechanically not bad. But on a cold engine and cold oil?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I wanted to say this is bullshit and you should rip that ass at the dealership, but then i watched the video.

Yes, it was unnecessary for the tech to drive the car hard like this, but it was not abuse. I would hardly call this a joy ride. He knew how to drive manual and he wasn’t banging it off the rev limiter.

When I started the video I was expecting him to bang it off the limiter and lose traction as soon as he got on that 25 mph road. He laid into it in 2nd gear, but I don’t believe it was hurting anything or that you should be worried about it. He was very careful and gentle with it in the lot and pulling it in the shop too. The car would still be pretty warm after 30 minutes of sitting, so it wasn’t ice cold when he drove it.

i know it’s your baby and it’s hard to watch somebody else drive it, but I don’t think this warrants a firing. (I wanted it to be, I had my popcorn ready)
Sponsored