What makes the LE worth the extra money?

Rfabianfk82020

First Name
Rence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
target on the back? It is just a over priced civic ?
I’m glad you’re not in danger or ever had something stolen from you. I ride motorcycles and if you did. Not sure if you do. It’s very easy to steal them.

I’m aware that it’s a civic. But it’s limited civic and not everyone out there is nice to appreciate it.
Sponsored

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
target on the back? It is just a over priced civic ?
MSRP is nothing more than a best guess by a product maker of what the market will pay for a product. Any time anything sells for over MSRP that means it was underpriced. If the standard Type R launched at $45,000 it would not have sold 1 less than it has to date.

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' CTR LE (USA-115), 06' Element EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As someone who's owned both a touring and an LE, the driving experience is a noticeable upgrade with the LE. The car feels lighter, tighter and more nimble. There are a couple factors as to why.

The LE has upgraded tires and wheels. The lighter BBS wheels are wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. A far more sticky tire than the Continental SportContact 6.

Additionally, Honda actually updated software for the electronically controlled shock absorbers, which takes into account the reduction in weight on the LE.

This MotorTrend article breaks it down pretty well...

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hon...ic-type-r-limited-edition-first-drive-review/

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
I’d love to hear from an actual owner and their reasoning as to why they went for the LE R over the standard R. I’d do it for the exclusivity - you know you’ll probably never see another one on the road and if you do, you better stop and grab some lottery tickets. I would totally pay MSRP for one but that ain’t happenin. The 50k deal that got posted and deleted the other day though - damn that would have been tempting!
As someone who's owned both a touring and an LE, the driving experience is a noticeable upgrade with the LE. The car feels lighter, tighter and more nimble. There are a couple factors as to why.

The LE has upgraded tires and wheels. The lighter BBS wheels are wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. A far more sticky tire than the Continental SportContact 6.

Additionally, Honda actually updated software for the electronically controlled shock absorbers, which takes into account the reduction in weight on the LE.

This MotorTrend article breaks it down pretty well...

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hon...ic-type-r-limited-edition-first-drive-review/
I have read that the springs part numbers are different as well. They also retuned the power steering. Why did I do it? Carvana offered me more than I paid for my 2018 with 8930 miles. I had been looking awhile. My dealer where we have bought a lot of Honda’s did not get a LE. So I was in uncharted territory. I asked a guy who I knew had bought one if he ever decided to sale to let me know. Turns out he would sale as long as I covered what he had in the car. Car has 13 miles on it. ? Matches my 1997 Spa Yellow NSX too.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I have read that the springs part numbers are different as well. They also retuned the power steering. Why did I do it? Carvana offered me more than I paid for my 2018 with 8930 miles. I had been looking awhile. My dealer where we have bought a lot of Honda’s did not get a LE. So I was in uncharted territory. I asked a guy who I knew had bought one if he ever decided to sale to let me know. Turns out he would sale as long as I covered what he had in the car. Car has 13 miles on it. ? Matches my 1997 Spa Yellow NSX too.
I really like the LE it's a cool car - but I think it a bad move for you if you're getting out of a 2018 with less than 10 miles bud. I have a 2019 and am at a similar wear / mileage - no thought to getting the LE it doesn't make sense to me personally with what I already have in the stable.

That being said, if you have a lot of disposable income and you just want the exclusivity of it etc- ENJOY it's a killer car!

Cars are what they are worth to the people that are buying them. The LE is no different - some decent changes to it but it's more of the 'want' rather than need for people that are purchasing, and that's 100% ok!

YOLO

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
I really like the LE it's a cool car - but I think it a bad move for you if you're getting out of a 2018 with less than 10 miles bud. I have a 2019 and am at a similar wear / mileage - no thought to getting the LE it doesn't make sense to me personally with what I already have in the stable.

That being said, if you have a lot of disposable income and you just want the exclusivity of it etc- ENJOY it's a killer car!

Cars are what they are worth to the people that are buying them. The LE is no different - some decent changes to it but it's more of the 'want' rather than need for people that are purchasing, and that's 100% ok!

YOLO
None of us need a Type R. I have always thought life is meant to be lived. I worked hard to get where I am and if I want an LE and can make it happen I will. Things fell into place. I bought my 1997 NSX in March 2014 for $48500. It is worth almost double that now. I was able to get the LE for sticker plus the owners taxes and shipping cost. Car has some provenance too.

Last edited:

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
None of us need a Type R. I have always thought life is meant to be lived. I worked hard to get where I am and if I want an LE and can make it happen I will. Things fell into place. I bought my 1997 NSX in March 2014 for $48500. It is worth almost double that now. I was able to get the LE for sticker plus the owners taxes and shipping cost. Car has some provenance too.
For health reasons, I needed a type r.. with a louder exhaust too, and aggressive brake pads/tires.

Doctor prescribed.

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Former 2019 owner here. I've had the LE for a couple weeks now.

I only have like 85 miles on it but my first initial impressions are a more raw driving experience, it "feels" peppier, tighter.... The shifter is much improved for me. I find the 2019 to be a little notchy at times, still good overall but the LE so far is so much smoother shifting. Reminds me of my old S2000. But yeah I was kinda hoping it would have gotten a carbon fiber roof or a lighter retooled exhaust maybe but of course now you're just inflating the price more.

I think alot of people underestimate the cost of the wheel tire upgrade on this car. Literally would just about cover the majority of the price increase right there. I love the flat black wheels.

Yes I'm a Honda junky, and the nostalgia of my younger self dreaming of a Phoenix Yellow ITR also plays a part. There is value in that for some people.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I like the LE but the yellow holds me back from really trying to purchase one. I suspect that if there was no LE and yellow was a regular color, it would be the least frequently chosen color...

The CTR is a great car and is the ‘best in its class’. Why not want the the best of the best?

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Former 2019 owner here. I've had the LE for a couple weeks now.

I only have like 85 miles on it but my first initial impressions are a more raw driving experience, it "feels" peppier, tighter.... The shifter is much improved for me. I find the 2019 to be a little notchy at times, still good overall but the LE so far is so much smoother shifting. Reminds me of my old S2000. But yeah I was kinda hoping it would have gotten a carbon fiber roof or a lighter retooled exhaust maybe but of course now you're just inflating the price more.

I think alot of people underestimate the cost of the wheel tire upgrade on this car. Literally would just about cover the majority of the price increase right there. I love the flat black wheels.

Yes I'm a Honda junky, and the nostalgia of my younger self dreaming of a Phoenix Yellow ITR also plays a part. There is value in that for some people.
Funny to think of any CTR as raw.

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Funny to think of any CTR as raw.
It's all relative I guess, as far as 2021 cars being sold in the US these days, it's pretty raw. I guess not as much as the euro ones with the AC and infotainment delete. Lol

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag