Well, will be cutting my hood in a few weeks...

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Bit the bullet, after the last track day debacle I was done with the lack of flow on our engines and cars, having ran similar in the past I know the benefits, I loved the mazda Singular motorsports look, but for the price I could not beat the rival motorsports setup.

I have WOP sedan, chose the bare aluminum as it's easy to paint black if i choose to, but thinking the aluminum may be subtle and it's easy to paint darker than lighter coming from black.

I will config a drip tray and drain as well to keep water off the electrical and filter medium, but pretty stocked! Under 80 bucks shipped for this setup as I had a coupon:)

Goodbye heat soak and hello increased cooling efficiency and lower temps at the track!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Well, will be cutting my hood in a few weeks... rival cut

Honda Civic 10th gen Well, will be cutting my hood in a few weeks... rival side

Honda Civic 10th gen Well, will be cutting my hood in a few weeks... rival small

Honda Civic 10th gen Well, will be cutting my hood in a few weeks... rival

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
bahndrvr

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You should do this to an aftermarket hood, not the original. Just IMO - would not want to hack OEM panels
Doing it previously on a Saleen, yes a real one, I am not afraid of that at all, with this being anodized aluminum it will be able to retain the stock rigidity which honestly isn't much on our stock hoods, this hood moves far more than any other vehicle I have ever owned, I actually think this will help the movement at highway speeds asthere is so much pressure inside the engine bay at speed. Time will tell I guess, but I have looked and there are alot of stock hoods in WOP in Florida for some reason lol.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I also wouldn't do this to any VIN-marked panels.

If you decide to ever sell the car (yes, it happens) this can cause issues if you can't a find a buyer that appreciates a hole in the hood. Now someone is wondering why the hood has been replaced without any history of a collision.

OP
OP
bahndrvr

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have owned over 40 cars, I can honestly say I have Never matched body panels up with a car when shipping. When the time comes to sell, I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it, not s concern for me currently not the next 2-3 years At Least. Car was bought as a commuter and something to tinker with. 7-8 months of ownership and 24+k miles on it, not expecting to break the bank when I d sale it, but I can see it being retired and turned into a dedicated track toy with the front suspension setup from an R for the massive improvements and track ability down the road. I’m sure that would decrease the value in your mind as well:). I didn’t buy a TypeR so i wouldn’t mind doing stuff like this, Si’s aren’t that special. Only reason I bought it over the Harchback sport was the LSD:)

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I have owned over 40 cars, I can honestly say I have Never matched body panels up with a car when shipping. When the time comes to sell, I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it, not s concern for me currently not the next 2-3 years At Least. Car was bought as a commuter and something to tinker with. 7-8 months of ownership and 24+k miles on it, not expecting to break the bank when I d sale it, but I can see it being retired and turned into a dedicated track toy with the front suspension setup from an R for the massive improvements and track ability down the road. I’m sure that would decrease the value in your mind as well:). I didn’t buy a TypeR so i wouldn’t mind doing stuff like this, Si’s aren’t that special. Only reason I bought it over the Harchback sport was the LSD:)
well did you do it?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
OP
OP
bahndrvr

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have not done it yet, too busy to take the actual time it will need!

I will do it for CERTAIN! I have measured the "cups" for inside to catch rainfall when car is not moving and have an employee that has a small CNC and having him machine the inside of the hood cups to put them on when I install the vents. I decided to go with the 2 smaller side vents configuration - Just realized its not on here so will edit in the picture in a few moments!

I will tape entire hood area, measure twice cut once for each hole, I have purchased the proper cutting setup with plenty of spare blades. I just have not had the time!

IT would have helped this past Friday at the 1/4 mile for sure though, my fastest pass of the night started off at 217 degrees due to idling in line, as well as my intake temp being 119 and 121 respectively, I'm sure that would have been down considerably with the vents... I can say within 60 ft the intake temps dropped considerably but the overall temp of the car stay up, intake 1 was due to Cobra, intercooler was still hot by end of pass though. Ran a 13.91 at 98 even with the heat which on "ironman 215/40/17" crap tires I'm really happy with, imagine if the car had been cooler....

Below is VERY rough location I will be going for!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Well, will be cutting my hood in a few weeks... IMG_3554.JPG

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
bahndrvr

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
Gonna look sick bro. Can't wait to see the results. I agree, with those giant fake vents up front, Honda could have at least done some extra duct work I would think to battle the heat soak.

250gtswb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe; 1969 Honda S800M Roadster
Country flag
... but I can see it being retired and turned into a dedicated track toy with the front suspension setup from an R for the massive improvements and track ability down the road.
Sounds very interesting; have you actually looked into the details of this? How complicated would it be to fit Type R front suspension on an Si? Wouldn't it require a subframe swap?

OP
OP
bahndrvr

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds very interesting; have you actually looked into the details of this? How complicated would it be to fit Type R front suspension on an Si? Wouldn't it require a subframe swap?
This will not be very difficult - and will not do it for a few years for certain! Alot will happen before I do this, but if I still have the car in 3 years, and this is still a build thread, I'm sure it will happen by then. As for swapping it out and how difficult - it's the same underneath.. Easiest way would be the front subframe swap (all bolts match up....) and simply remove from R and place in Si, and then have the fenders and fitment issues, but that will be of least concern for me... The improvements from the R front suspension is honeslty the only thing that makes me want the R - NOT the 2.0t:)
Sponsored