haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Usually get a very nice hot engine / brakes / rubber smell after most drives - That's just me enjoying myself though ;)
Sponsored

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
Ever since I burnt my brake at a younger age descending Whiteface mountain, I have became weirdly cautious with mechanical related scent. 99% of the time it's from another car that I got paranoid for nothing.

OP
OP

20ls01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RRRRRRR
Country flag
Found out the smell…

It was the rear oem brake pads…

Anyone know what material they are??
Organic? They are made by ate which many european car’s use…

I did some canyon driving and everytime i got out of the car, the smell was very present in the rear.

I swapped them out for some ceramics and no more smell ?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Found out the smell…

It was the rear oem brake pads…

Anyone know what material they are??
Organic? They are made by ate which many european car’s use…

I did some canyon driving and everytime i got out of the car, the smell was very present in the rear.

I swapped them out for some ceramics and no more smell ?
Ah, the use of rear brakes with canyon runs make sense, the FK8 employs a brake-based torque vectoring system that punishes the brakes in general, but since the rear brakes are smaller and softer than the fronts, they will wear down quicker and probably get hot quicker too. It’s not uncommon for us to need to replace our rears well before our fronts (in some instances the fronts may last twice as long as the rear).

OP
OP

20ls01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RRRRRRR
Country flag
the smell was not the brake pads after all. It was the stock continental sc6 tires

the smell moved to the basement room after i stored the wheels there. Smell is 100% gone now in the garage.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My wife sometimes says my car smells like a stale fart. I try to avoid that since my seats are not pleather and might absorb the smell.
I really like the Tommy Kaira red turtle air freshener but they only ship with orders, can't get them stand alone. I just use little trees and partially open them under passenger seat.

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2004 CR-V
Country flag
Not that wild a suggestion. The sales persona where I got my CTR told me that one of the few other CTRs they've sold ended up KIA because a dude parked it in his barn and mice literally ate the wiring. That happens to cars sometimes, more often than we'd think, and it's certainly not impossible for mice, squirrels, etc. to get into warm cars especially in the colder months, with unpleasant results. I've had all sorts of critters try to set up housekeeping in my garage!
I get a mouse that eats up my internal car air filter and lives there every......single.....winter. it never fails. I have to open up the fan compartment underneath just to clean out all the chewed up pieces of filer it leaves each spring. I do garage the car for winter, but I make sure to run it every few weeks to keep the engine lubricated and whatnot.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I get a mouse that eats up my internal car air filter and lives there every......single.....winter. it never fails. I have to open up the fan compartment underneath just to clean out all the chewed up pieces of filer it leaves each spring. I do garage the car for winter, but I make sure to run it every few weeks to keep the engine lubricated and whatnot.
Yeah, critters and cars don't get along well. Well, they like them, but for all the wrong reasons from our perspective.

Guess it's revenge for squishing so many of them along the roadsides.

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, critters and cars don't get along well. Well, they like them, but for all the wrong reasons from our perspective.

Guess it's revenge for squishing so many of them along the roadsides.
Haha, and here I actually try to avoid taking their lives...My only mortal enemy is raccoons...they have killed a few of my ducks and I take that personally...I never owned a gun before in my life but declared war on the raccoons and bought a 22LR. Lets just say since then there are 20ish less raccoons on the planet now.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Haha, and here I actually try to avoid taking their lives...My only mortal enemy is raccoons...they have killed a few of my ducks and I take that personally...I never owned a gun before in my life but declared war on the raccoons and bought a 22LR. Lets just say since then there are 20ish less raccoons on the planet now.
In Georgia, my mother would have to chase possums and occasionally raccoons out of the pantry. She used a broom, but then, my mother was wicked mean with that broom! No need for a rifle when you can wield a broom like a bad-ass.

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In Georgia, my mother would have to chase possums and occasionally raccoons out of the pantry. She used a broom, but then, my mother was wicked mean with that broom! No need for a rifle when you can wield a broom like a bad-ass.
Mucho respect for a broom wielding woman...or one with a plastic spoon ;)
Sponsored