How's highway driving on the CTR?

sokrispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Did a 400 mile round trip over the weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

On the way to my destination I drove in +R. You can definitely feel the imperfections in the road in this mode. However, its not bone-shatteringly stiff or jarring. Going over shallow dips / undulations in the road is an adventure, there was a solid 1/4 mile where I was bouncing all over the place. On this part of the drive I averaged 21 mpg; the speed limit was 75 mph. However, I was going 80-90 mph with two runs up to 135 mph lmao.

On the way back I drove in a mix of Sport and Comfort; the ride quality is much more compliant than +R. Still relatively stiff compared to regular cars though. I drove at 75 mph for the most part this time and averaged 25 mpg.

Road noise is louder than regular cars, but nothing unbearable. I have an Invidia R400 though, so it drowns out most of the tire noise.

I found the seats to be great. I kinda started to ache about an hour and a half in but adjusted the seat back angle and it went away.

All of these are trivial compromises; the car is well worth them.
Sponsored

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I dont know that the golf R would be much different?
I think the mode of the golf r mpg distribution on fuelly is 24 vs 26 for the type r. (on fuelly I think the mode is more useful than average. Mode is the most common mpg per fill up, the peak in their chart. I think the average is skewed by people getting really bad gas mileage pulling it down.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_(statistics)

Last edited:

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I'm 6' about 155 lbs. and just drove the car 2200 miles in two days. I had it in Sport mode the whole time. Overall the car was comfortable although I did have a few issues which I think are probably just due to the length of time in the car.

Towards the end of each day my hands felt stiff/achey but that was probably just due to my death grip on the steering wheel as I was concerned about the summer tires losing traction in the mostly freezing weather. I also found that my right ankle/heel would get stiff but that could probably be avoided by using cruise control (I only used cruise control for a minute or so at a time while I stretched my foot and leg around every few hours).

I also noticed that if I put my head back against the seat it seems to angle my head slightly upward causing me to look slightly down at the road and making it harder to see the gauges. I don't normally have my head against the seat like that though but I'm pretty sure in other cars it doesn't angle up as much.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
7 speed DSG on the new GolfR will probably help with that. CTR runs pretty high RPM at highway speed compare to how my GTI was geared which is also the problem with the older Golf R...
Sponsored