GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Hey guys,

The CTR is the first manual transmission car ive owned.

I have a couple questions regarding starting from a stop and RPMS.

First Q: does anyone else feel like the car is super slow in first gear pulling away comfort mode? I find myself going really slow when at a red light pulling away in comfort for 1st and 2nd gear.

Second Q: Based off slow starts ive found that leaving it in sport mode helps with pulling away quicker in traffic. Is it ok to rev this car out to around 4k RMP in first off the start before switching it into 2nd? or is this bad for the car?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
High revving the car is what it's made for bud you're more than fine. Just get more comfortable with it and you'll learn to finesse and really sprint off the line pretty well even in comfort mode.

Just make sure you release the clutch fully and take the foot fully off of it. Riding a clutch where you leave weight on it continually is bad.

You've picked a wonderful car for a first manual, enjoy!

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I came from an RX8 as my first manual, so I've always lived the high-rev life, and it's no exception on this one. I clap the shit out of the rev limiter every time I drive it and I have a much more aggressive tune than stock. Not a single person has come on these forums saying they blew it by driving it too hard, neither on a stock tune or a basemap from KTuner/Hondata. Don't worry about it, have fun, this is probably the best thing you could've gotten as a first manual.

The only thing I'd say is give your engine a good 15 minutes to warm up before you do hard driving to reduce the wear and tear on your engine. The temp gauge being in the middle isn't good enough, that's just the water temperature and not necessarily the block temperature or oil temperature.

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type-R, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
Eventually you'll discover a fine balance between peeling out at each light vs. smoother, slower starts to maximize gas mileage. Of course, have fun, I know I do, but at times slow and steady just works.

Revving hard won't hurt it, unless you're flooring it and dumping the clutch at EACH light. Just find a good balance of driving it hard/normal and you'll be fine!

FK8REY

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I remember asking a very similar question years ago. Like almost 20 years ago...lol. Revs are your friend.....learn the powerband of your engine and keep it there when doing spirited driving, you will understand the vehicle so much better.
Sponsored