RedCrabby

First Name
Hong Yung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2020 1.5T CVT Sedan TC-P
Country flag
Just for sharing to have a rough idea how far civic cvt push-belt can take for the torque.
If based on the diagram, it is around 250-260 Nm, assuming Honda cvt is using top-notch push-belt.
Subaru cvt have LuK chain type, which can take more torque abuse more than 300 Nm!
So, I'm not sure if we tune more than 260 Nm, how long it can last...
Perhaps another factor is the temperature and how long the belt is operating at that torque value which eventually reducing its lifespan.
Honda Civic 10th gen Typical CVT belt types and torque limits 1637852621719
Sponsored

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Honda is either using a different belt or that chart is measuring for a very specific situation. Tunes are typically making over 260ft-lbs, so over 350Nm unless the conversion I'm using is wrong. Our tuning and reliability survey has shown them to be quite reliable so far.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, you clearly haven't looked at my tune reliability thread. ;)

Base KTuner 21's, TSP and Phearable tunes all produce substantially more torque than 260 Nm (192 ft lbs) and CVTs have done quite well handling it. My Phearable 1.5R easily peaks at well over 340 Nm (250+ ft lbs) torque. It's not the peak torque number as much as where in the rpm range peak torque is produced.

OP
OP
RedCrabby

RedCrabby

First Name
Hong Yung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2020 1.5T CVT Sedan TC-P
Country flag
OP, you clearly haven't looked at my tune reliability thread. ;)

Base KTuner 21's, TSP and Phearable tunes all produce substantially more torque than 260 Nm (192 ft lbs) and CVTs have done quite well handling it. My Phearable 1.5R easily peaks at well over 340 Nm (250+ ft lbs) torque. It's not the peak torque number as much as where in the rpm range peak torque is produced.
I actually read through but it didnt stated clear about how much torque on the cvt.

You mean the max torque limit applied should be at certain rpm range... low range ? Mid or high range ?

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hondata did some testing and determined that 250wtq, under extremely abusive situations such as constant drag racing with brake boosting being used, heavy track usage, and essentially driving well beyond what 99% of us here on the forums would ever think of doing, is what will break the CVT.
With that said, as gtman has said, he, myself, and many others are running Phearable 1.5R which makes a peak of 280wtq give or take without any issues at all, and we have others running upgraded turbo making 300+whp. How the torque is brought in, and how you drive, are the biggest factors involved with the CVT limits.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So many variables with this.
Max torque earlier down in the rpm hits harder than max torque higher up in the rpm range.
Technically it doesn't because it's the same amount of force. However, that same amount of force has more resistance turning a CVT belt that is stopped or slow moving versus one that is moving faster.

Also, very few take into consideration their wheels and tires. The CVT has to turn all four of your wheels. The lighter the wheels/tires are and the smaller the diameter they are, the less amount of torque is needed to turn them (resistance). So....that max torque being applied to the belt has less resistance on the driveaxle side to turn the wheels IF they are significantly lighter than the stock wheels/tires. For example, if you reduce your tire diameter by 10%, the same amount of torque needed to turn them to do the same amount of work is reduced by 10%.

Just a thought!
Sponsored

Last edited: