Type R/ Si badges on regular models?

What do you guys think about putting Type R or Si badges on standard Civics?

• Total voters

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When it comes down to it the Si is no longer a stand out for Honda. Like Honda gave it the Hatch Sport wheels. No exclusive Si color. The same 1.5T Engine with very simular 0-60. Same Civic chrome trim over the door. Not even a spare tire. From 40-70 a Si is actually slower than a 1.5T cvt. Im not trying to disparage the Si its just fact. Hopefully next year the refreshed Si will include 1.8T-2.0T, new color, shank the chrome over the doors, gloss black pillars and unique wheels as we are use to getting.

Imo even the 10th gen Si doesn't deserve the Si badge.

An actual Type R badge on a non-Type R or Si badge on a non-Si is a negative for me, but thatā€™s just my opinion. Iā€™m an open book on use of the red Honda emblem.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
When it comes down to it the Si is no longer is a great stand out for Honda. Like Honda gave it the Hatch Sport wheels. No exclusive Si color. The same 1.5T Engine with very simular 0-60. From 40-70 a Si is actually slower than a 1.5T cvt. Hopefully next year the refreshed Si will include 1.8T-2.0T, new color and unique wheels as we are use to getting.
Sadly, I agree the Si has fallen a bit in terms of its attractiveness in the 10th Generation lineup. Most recently coming from a ā€˜14 Civic Si sedan, Iā€™ve been looking at the Civic Hatchback Sport manual and havenā€™t even considered a 10th Generation Si. As much as I cherish the Si nameplate, Honda has given us comparable varieties to choose from compared to past generations.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 2018 Accords are not selling. Sales are down 20% compared to the old 2017s. Im going to put my finger on it. Answer 1.5T 4banger. Honda is trying to cut corners and it's not working.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
When it comes down to it the Si is no longer a stand out for Honda. Like Honda gave it the Hatch Sport wheels. No exclusive Si color. The same 1.5T Engine with very simular 0-60. Same Civic chrome trim over the door. Not even a spare tire. From 40-70 a Si is actually slower than a 1.5T cvt. Im not trying to disparage the Si its just fact. Hopefully next year the refreshed Si will include 1.8T-2.0T, new color, shank the chrome over the doors, gloss black pillars and unique wheels as we are use to getting.

There will be no engine changes MY19.

The SI offers many exclusive and substantial performance features they just don't serve your narrative.

Last edited:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Some of you guys are talking as though Type R doesn't exist... This has been discussed here to death about a year ago -- CTR is that "extra-special Civic" now, the Si is "just" a sporty manual trim... But with very cool and useful extras not available on other manual Civics, like the LSD, adaptive dampers, etc. Certainly "special enough" for a large number of people, especially considering its price and gas mileage. My coworker with the '16 LX couldn't believe my MPG numbers...

As for the Accord, it's been recently listed by the Automobile Magazine, along with the CTR, among the 8 cars for their 2018 All-Stars: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2018-all-stars-winners/

2 out of 8, alongside McLaren and Porsche?
Honda's doing just fine, methinks :p

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda has taken away the things Si has always had. Making it a seat, spoiler,exhaust upgraded EXT. The biggest thing Honda robbed us from is power. The Si always had a good +40hp. Not anymore. The Si was always that performance daily driver and that the Type R is not. 10k miles per wheelset doesn't qualify as a daily. It kinda looks like the new Si is going to be an Accord 2.0T.

There will be no engine changes MY19.

The SI offers many exclusive and substantial performance features they just don't serve your narrative.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Putting the red JDM badges on your car is a little different than putting the "Si" and "Type R" badges on a base model civic trying to make it look like something it isn't. People have been adding them to their non Type R cars for years because they look better than the shitty silver ones that come on the car.

I have red badges yes, I also have Si badges right beside them because my car is an Si, not trying to fool anyone. It's clearly for aesthetics. If you want to put the red badges on your LX or whatever go for it, but once you throw an Si or Type R badge to try to pass it off as one, that is ridiculous.
Pretty sure red badges give the same vibe of si or r badging. The reason Honda only puts them on the type r is because you invested in a type r.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty sure red badges give the same vibe of si or r badging. The reason Honda only puts them on the type r is because you invested in a type r.
The red H emblem is just a red H emblem. My favorite color is red, and in my opinion red is much more aesthetically pleasing than chrome. It's bordering on ridiculous to claim that one particular color in the visible light spectrum is out of the question for Civics just because it happens to be the signature emblem color of the Type R. Someone with a green coupe could get a Type R emblem and paint green over the red and be fine, but if he fancies red instead he's stuck being a poser according to snobs :rolleyes: The red badge doesn't give the "vibe" of a Type R to anyone who doesn't know/care about Hondas, and the ones who do get the "vibe" probably don't even care.

On the other hand, putting an Si or Type R or Sport or Touring or whatever badge on a different trim is literally lying.

These two conversations should put it in perspective.
A: Hey, why do you have a red H emblem? Isn't that for the Type R?
B: Yeah, but the chrome one looks ugly. This really suits the car more and is how it should've come from the factory.
A: Yeah it does look a lot better.
(A and B drive off into the sunset)

A: Hey, why does your Civic have an Si badge? The Si doesn't even have a CVT available.
B: I got it tuned bro! I can just barely beat an Si's 0-60!
A: Oh, that's cool I guess. Hey, wanna hit the track? I've been wanting to test the limits of this LSD.
B: Uhh I think I hear my mom calling!
(A proceeds to take corners without slowing down)

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
A: Hey, why does your Civic have an Si badge? The Si doesn't even have a CVT available.
B: I got it tuned bro! I can just barely beat an Si's 0-60!
A: Oh, that's cool I guess. Hey, wanna hit the track? I've been wanting to test the limits of this LSD.
B: Uhh I think I hear my mom calling!
(A proceeds to take corners without slowing down)
Made me lol

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag

I see your point. While the Si has fallen from the grace as "the" civic, it is still "the other" civic to have outside the Type R. From the sporty suspension setups, to the LSD, to the other sporty components like the short crisp shifter, and adaptive dampers. From a performance standpoint the Si IS the other civic if one can't afford the R or does not wanna deal with the extra costs of owning the R.

Deleted member

The crux of your post is "well my cvt can get to 60 almost as quickly so it is basically the same car". Not judging but it makes it sound like the post is by someone who really doesn't know the first thing about cars. You could put a ton of power into a van to give it a quick 0-60 time but that does not make it as fun to drive as a Miata.

The Si is a Civic in which not an insignificant amount of engineering has gone into changing the driving characteristics. As a result, the Si drives very differently from a 1.5MT- they feel like completely different cars. To name just a few items: the Si has a better gearbox than the normal manual, it has a much better shifter than the normal manual, the suspension is stiffer, it corners flatter, it has better braking characteristics, it rides lower, it accelerates quicker due to having more power, and it has a limited slip differential which by itself completely changes how the car behaves in spirited driving. On the cosmetic/cool stuff side it also has a better start up exhaust note, huge wheels, and a cool looking wing. The lack of spare tire is for weight savings.

The genX Si has more torque than any Si before it and it produces full torque as early as 2100rpm which means the car is not completely gutless as every Si was before it.

The 10th gen Si has received rave reviews from virtually every major car publication and many enthusiasts consider it the best Civic Si Honda has ever made due to it being the fastest and best handling Si while also getting over 40mpg- it's fun to drive and practical as a DD.

If you're one of those people for whom every number of horses the car has matters, I'll mention that people are getting dyno results of more than 200hp to the wheels of the stock genX Si- which means Honda is underrating the actual power the engine produces by a fair bit- likely so as to not take any limelight away from the Type R.

There is a reason the Si costs over $5,000 more than the Civic; the Civic is an econo box(granted, a very good one). The Si is a driver's car. Slapping a body kit and an Si badge onto your CVT will not make it anything like an Si.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loccust

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
I say no on the Badge. To me it's a misrepresentation that I laugh at but I don't get my panties in a twist about it. I look at the red H as a sign that the person is an enthusiast and take that it's someone who likes to mod their car. Putting a fake badge name like an R or SI on your car is like putting Shelby on a V6 Mustang, pointless. Also, just because someone puts part exclusive to a particular model on their car is not posing as that model. It's when the owner does that and then puts on the matching R or SI badge that I don't get. Just buy that model. If I throw in R seats it doesn't mean I am trying to make my car an R, I may just like the look and feel of the seats better. If I like the R shift nob and use that instead of my SI nob am I a poser? I totally get throwing on a R wing on a hatch, it looks so much better. It's almost like they styled the R first and then created the other models to me.

DevilDoc8542

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R Polished Metal Metallic #9206, 2018 Ford F 150 Raptor Lead Foot Gray
Being a CTR owner, putting badges on your non Type R or Si or even the exclusive red Honda ā€œHā€ is your own preference. Itā€™s your car, your insurance, your money you spend how you want. I think all around the red emblems cost about $100?

I love the looks of people who do put the red ā€œHā€ on their non Type Rā€™s. They seem to sink lower into their seats. Yes the red emblem has Honda history and while it might look good on non Type Rā€™s, real enthusiasts can tell the difference between the different Civic models.

Like the famous quote says, ā€œimitation is the greatest form of flattery.ā€

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Putting the red JDM badges on your car is a little different than putting the "Si" and "Type R" badges on a base model civic trying to make it look like something it isn't. People have been adding them to their non Type R cars for years because they look better than the shitty silver ones that come on the car.

I have red badges yes, I also have Si badges right beside them because my car is an Si, not trying to fool anyone. It's clearly for aesthetics. If you want to put the red badges on your LX or whatever go for it, but once you throw an Si or Type R badge to try to pass it off as one, that is ridiculous.

where did you find your red honda h badges?