First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't freak out, I do not have any oil dilution issues in my type R that I know of yet (less than 100 miles). No need to run out to your cars and check. The class action lawsuit specifies the 1.5t, the 2.0t and the 2.4. Obviously the 2.0t is the type R engine and it has me concerned that they listed my engine even though I have seen no posts from a type R owners claiming oil dilution. I just wanted to know if any Type R owners are having oil dilution issues?
Sponsored

Last edited:

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
Could it be the 2.0t in the accord, as it uses regular and there was some speculation that was part of the problem?

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
I had some fuel dilution during my first oil change interval of 5000 miles with the factory fill, that thinned out the oil a bit, but it wasn't too excessive. I just did another oil change after 3500 miles, and there was no fuel dilution this time. Not sure if it because of better oil, the shorter change interval, or what, but right now I am not overly worried about fuel dilution.

Ventura90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had some fuel dilution during my first oil change interval of 5000 miles with the factory fill, that thinned out the oil a bit, but it wasn't too excessive. I just did another oil change after 3500 miles, and there was no fuel dilution this time. Not sure if it because of better oil, the shorter change interval, or what, but right now I am not overly worried about fuel dilution.
Considering that Honda programs the oil minder between 8000-12000 kms (Canada) depending on how the car is driven, I’d hazard a guess that 3500 miles is too short an interval for an oil change. I just found out about the dilution problem (which is a really big deal by the way), and checked my dipstick smell at 8300 total kilometres to find the smell of gasoline. I am a mechanic by trade so I am confident in my ability to differentiate between synthetic oil and fuel, but to be safe I am going to do a pre-emptive oil change (no indicator light as of yet), and am having an independent company analyze an oil sample to be safe. Gasoline in your oil won’t create an immediate problem, assuming you are changing your oil at reasonable intervals. Over time, however, the accelerated wear will mean your main and rod bearings will be shot way too early. Unfortunately this likely will happen shortly after your warranty is up. I’m not letting Honda side step this one.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
We have a pretty good base of UOAs in the maintenance forum. And we've yet to see any unusual increase in wear metals or an unusual drop in viscosity. Even among those samples where viscosity was at the low end of the range (or dilution was a little higher), we've not yet seen any evidence of high wear metals accompanying these readings.

The maintenance minder accounts for almost any condition imaginable, including ambient temps, cold starts, trip duration, etc. And the crankcase can reportedly operate up to 3 CM above the upper limit. We've had several members report back that they've had the maintenance minder pop up as early as 3K. And all of them share the same operating parameters - frequent short trips in cold climates.

CN: Sans a few CRV cases, this issue seems largely overblown.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
MM is dependent on a lot of variables and there's really no set mileage that it turns on at. I've had my MM pop up at 2100 miles.

Ventura90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Interesting. The service manager at the dealer here said it ranges between 8000-12000km depending on how it’s driven. What are UOAs? My main reason for concern is Honda’s GDI system is essentially the same between the 1.5t and the K20C.. and cylinder pressures are undoubtedly higher in the Type R. I just can’t see it being less of a problem when more stress is present. I plan on owning my car well beyond the warranty period so longevity is a must.. hence why I bought a Honda.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Interesting. The service manager at the dealer here said it ranges between 8000-12000km depending on how it’s driven. What are UOAs? My main reason for concern is Honda’s GDI system is essentially the same between the 1.5t and the K20C.. and cylinder pressures are undoubtedly higher in the Type R. I just can’t see it being less of a problem when more stress is present. I plan on owning my car well beyond the warranty period so longevity is a must.. hence why I bought a Honda.
Wasn’t the issue with the oil dilution the engine not producing enough heat in colder temps, which lead to oil dilution? Higher pressure -> higher temps. Whether or not this will be enough is unknown though.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I'm at 4200 miles and i just did my 2nd oil change last week when the MM turned on. 1st one was at like 2000 miles or something iirc.

UOA = used oil analysis

you can send your used oil to like blackstones and they will analyze it and send you a report back.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Honda Accord
Country flag
Did you smell gas on the dipstick? Im pretty sure im smelling gas on mine

Draxaan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Did you smell gas on the dipstick? Im pretty sure im smelling gas on mine
I smell it on mine too. Second owner, around 18k miles now, but smelled when I got it around 11k miles. Also concerned about mine and had the dealer log it when I went for service.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SL0, FK8R, GR3
Country flag
Wasn’t the issue with the oil dilution the engine not producing enough heat in colder temps, which lead to oil dilution? Higher pressure -> higher temps. Whether or not this will be enough is unknown though.
Plus Turbo engines only.

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Honda Accord
Country flag
I smell it on mine too. Second owner, around 18k miles now, but smelled when I got it around 11k miles. Also concerned about mine and had the dealer log it when I went for service.
Im waiting on 2 test kits from 2 Labs. Gonna send a sample to both and ill post the results

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
If you do a lot of city driving the oil will need to be changed at around 4000 miles. I had to change my oil in a month for driving 200+miles a day.
Sponsored