17redsi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm finally thinking about tuning my SI but after reading a few threads I'm beginning to question if I should. I have almost 160,000km on my 2017 SI (100,000 miles) and drive about 150km a day commuting to work. Most of the Drive is highway going pretty damn quick. I'm a very aggressive driver and honestly beat the crap out of my car. Its taken it with 0 issues other than injectors about 20,000km ago through warranty (which I have until 200,000km). My clutch is still like new after this much driving. I was thinking about doing a tsp stage 1 tune, intercooler, intake, clutch, and downpipe. Nothing crazy but still more than stock.

I'm just curious if there is anyone who has tuned a higher mileage car? Most people posting in the tune reliability thread only have a small amount km on their vehicle. I understand there is risk and I'll lose warranty. I just wonder if the risk has increased with mileage of the car and how by how much...
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You have to understand how tuning and the tune reliability thread work. First of all, that thread is only a couple years old so while there are a few higher mileage cars, most are too new to have racked up massive mileage. If anything, many people wait to tune their car after the mileage warranty is over.

Honda makes great engines. There is definitely plenty of headroom to bump up power from the conservative stock tune. My suggestion. Start with the TSP tune and take it from there. That bump in power alone coming from the stock tune will astound you. If you want more down the road add it in.

The reason I say not to go FBO to begin with is that apparently you must have thought the stock tune was pretty good accumulating 100,000 miles on it. You might be surprised to find that the tune alone could be enough.

As far as more risk based on you having an older car... tuning does add stress but a TSP 1 is fairly mild. Plus you have 3 different varying boost maps to choose from, all better than stock. On the other hand, you say you beat the crap out of your car, so that could be a concern.

Last edited:

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Adding on to what he said, You will also have to think about clutch replacement down the road. With 160,000 km on the original clutch (which is great), set aside some funds for a clutch that can handle the better power. If you go FBO and do the TSP Stage 1, you could find your clutch to slip sooner than say someone with less than 10,000 km that started to tune the car. Especially because as you say, you beat on your car and the extra power is addicting.

I can’t comment on longevity, but if you keep the tuning conservative, I don’t see a problem happening with the motor, but you will have to replace the clutch at some point.

OP
OP
17redsi

17redsi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for the reply guys. I was 100% going to do the clutch when I do it. Either competition or ACT. It's been strong so far but I know its the weakest point. The few other bolt ons I was going to do were just intercooler for heat soaking, DP and intake is all. Nothing more than that. That does help to give me a bit more confidence for the TSP tune though.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the reply guys. I was 100% going to do the clutch when I do it. Either competition or ACT. It's been strong so far but I know its the weakest point. The few other bolt ons I was going to do were just intercooler for heat soaking, DP and intake is all. Nothing more than that. That does help to give me a bit more confidence for the TSP tune though.
Don't forget that the RV6 Type R retrofit flywheel is coming too. That will open up even more clutch options
Sponsored