darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Hi all,

Has anyone here experienced a TPMS going off if there is no issue?

Mine went off earlier today and I checked all of the tires. They were overinflated, with one being even more so than the others (42 psi VS 40 psi with the others). I let out some air from all of them (it's down to 35 psi on the tires now). I then re-calibrated the TPMS.
Later in the day the notification returned. I checked all four tires and they're all still at 35 psi. Maybe one will be flat in the morning if there really is a nail or something in one of them but it got me thinking about something.
In the past with both this car and my last car the TPMS only went off when there was a legitimate issue with one of the tires.

So, unless one of the tires is low or flat in the morning, my question is has anyone had an issue with the TPMS going off if nothing is wrong?
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
These cars don’t have a TPMS system that measures tire PSI like the traditional systems, it goes by tire rotation. If it senses one tire spinner faster than the others (which is what happens to a tire when it is running flat) then it’ll pop up that you have a low tire. IT DOES NOT READ INDIVIDUAL PSI IN THE TIRES. The benefits of this system is you don’t have to pay the additional charge for the sensors when getting new tires or new wheels+tires. The downfall is this system is known to give false positives meaning it’ll throw the light at you when in reality the tires are fine, BUT when there is a low tire it is damn accurate at picking it up when it’s a little under inflated. Now when you recalibrate it, your suppose to let it calibrate by driving around for at least 30minutes in a mixture of city and highway for best results. Also remember it’s best to check tire pressure when the tires are cold because when tires heat up the PSI goes up because the air expands. That might be why you read 40’s in psi.

Last edited:
OP
OP
darkness975

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
These cars don’t have a TPMS system that measures tire PSI like the traditional systems, it goes by tire rotation. If it senses one tire spinner faster than the others (which is what happens to a tire when it is running flat) then it’ll pop up that you have a low tire. IT DOES NOT READ INDIVIDUAL PSI IN THE TIRES. The benefits of this system is you don’t have to pay the additional charge for the sensors when getting new tires or new wheels+tires. The downfall is this system is known to give false positives meaning it’ll throw the light at you when in reality the tires are fine, BUT when their is a low tire it is damn accurate at picking it up when it’s a little under inflated. Now when you recalibrate it, your suppose to let it calibrate by driving around for at least 30minutes in a mixture of city and highway for best results. Also remember it’s best to check tire pressure when the tires are cold because when tires heat up the PSI goes up because the air expands. That might be why you read 40’s in psi.
So if the psi is still normal tomorrow AM then I should try re-calibrating it then drive around for a while?
And if one is flat then I guess it will be self explanatory.

It's just weird that it would throw the code when none of the tires were showing as being low.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
So if the psi is still normal tomorrow AM then I should try re-calibrating it then drive around for a while?
Yes, should solve your issue, I’ve gotten the low tire pressure light twice. First time being an actual low tire. Then second time being a false positive, recalibrated followed Honda’s instructions (what I stated) and I haven’t had it come on since

OP
OP
darkness975

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Yes, should solve your issue, I’ve gotten the low tire pressure light twice. First time being an actual low tire. Then second time being a false positive, recalibrated followed Honda’s instructions (what I stated) and I haven’t had it come on since
okay I will check in the AM , if the psi is normal then I'll try what you said.

Will advise.

Thanks

OP
OP
darkness975

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
As promised here is my update.
Checked the psi cold this morning after it sat all night.
Three tires are at 32.5 and one is at 33.
I'll have to recalibrate the tpms again but this time actually drive around more than 2 minutes so it will hopefully stick this time.

OP
OP
darkness975

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Are you supposed to drive continually after resetting it or can you turn the car off?